Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,742,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My husband was in his home office down the hall and I was watching the returns on TV in the living room. We were both planning on staying up as long as it took and figured that it was going to be a very long night. Every time a state was called for either candidate I called it out, just to keep him up-to-date. For a while the returns were predictable - Clinton won this state, Trump won that state, hers was a blue state, his was a red. No surprises.

And then the Trump wins started to add up. He won Florida. He won SC. He won Ohio. He won over and over and I became increasingly convinced that maybe he was going to pull this off. When he won Wisconsin I called out to my husband to "come see this". When he came into the living room I pointed at the screen. We both hugged each other. The blue wall was crumbling.

The thought of Clinton becoming president had worn on both of us a good deal during the campaign. We both believed (and still believe) that she would have been a very destructive force to the country on so many levels, and the thought of Hillary as the president of the United States scared us both.

Yes it was amusing to see the results unfold and watch the disbelief and shock on the faces of CNN talking heads, and listen to the "she can still win if" scenarios they kept pulling out of their........hats. Yes it was amusing to see the increasingly long faces and then tears of Hillary supporters. Yes it was a little shocking that Hillary did not give a concession speech that night and had Podesta send her supporters home.

We were excited about the results but mostly we were relieved. Just so. damned. relieved.
The numerous times Trump supporters say they delight in the sadness of over half of the country while complaining that they were targeted as Trump supporters is a perfect example of why this country should split. Each half intensely detests the other half of the country. We have no shared goals, we have no shared targets of admiration, we have absolutely nothing in common.

I was sickened because I had watched women attack Hillary for having a husband who cheated on her while they delighted in voting for a husband who cheated himself. They attacked her hair, her age, her face, her weight, her pantsuits, all while Trump was older and fatter. I realized a woman will not be elected president for decades if ever. Women do not like other women and men mostly view women the same way Trump does - something either to grab or insult. I saw the ugly side of this country, where a man that rode a wave of saying Obama was a Muslim Kenyan elected as president. The majority didn't elect him but 70,000 in three states did.

It is what it is and I know we will get to see Trump have to pack his things and leave our White House, hopefully in only three years but those three years cannot come soon enough. I doubt we will make it through without getting into another war and that makes me extremely sad. Republicans just love their wars.

Last edited by Seacove; 11-09-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,387,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I feel very good about the election.

My main reason for voting was the Supreme Court, but almost equal to that is the appointments to federal and appellate courts. The President nominates judges and the Senate must confirm them to be appointed.

Many people do not realize how important lower courts are and that they have the final say in most cases that do not get reviewed by the Supreme Court.

I think that if Clinton had won she would have of course got her Supreme Court nominee and shifted the court leftward. Not to mention all of her lower court nominees. I think Clinton's election would have shifted America to the left socially and economically that it would have been too much to overcome.

The really funny part is that the Republicans have almost done this to their party on their own. With Roy Moore and Donald Trump acting like fools or scumbags; their right leaning, crazy tax bill; hurting healthcare for millions; getting absolutely nothing done for a year (while being paid $175,000 per year, plus expenses), the Republican Party has become a joke and may go down in 2018.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Here we go again with the popular vote. If we based our elections on popular vote, then New York City and Los Angeles would decide our elections every single time. So, why is it fair that 2 cities decide who the president is gonna be? We vote based on States. More states wanted Trump than not. Maybe you should take a look at the 12th amendment again and get back to us. Peace.
The people in those states COUNT. There is also the tyranny of the minority. Why should 70,000 people control 300 million? It is what it is but saying big cities should have no say but tiny towns should, to say big cities should pay huge taxes but tiny towns should control how those big city taxes should be spent, etc. is not acknowledging that those big states are going to start kicking out every Republican representative.

Trump has made sure this country is more divided than ever. There was never any "move to the middle" at all, Trump and his supporters have delighted in angering the majority of the country to the point where it is unlikely we will be able to be a united country again. We are just too different now with no common goals or interests. We have one half that pursues education and the other half that resents the educated. We have one side that is concerned and cares about the environment and the other side that thinks killing the environment is good for their pocketbooks. There's no way to come together on any of this. I didn't realize on election night that as bad as I thought it would be, it would be so much worse.

Last edited by Seacove; 11-09-2017 at 09:09 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 PM

31,078 posts, read 22,139,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Keep looking back and reveling in the fluke win of your con man.

Meanwhile, as was shown the other day, many of us are looking forward.
You sound so angry? Con man? Like your Peace prize winning hypocrite, responsible for the complete destruction of Libya, the death of 2000 of our service men in Afganistan, the return to the battlefield of the many Terrorist he had released. And Trump is the con man

Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 PM

34,089 posts, read 17,145,875 times
How'd I feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvX_5ym_ajI

Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We were excited about the results but mostly we were relieved. Just so. damned. relieved.
Pretty much the same sentiments here; though my personal libertarian (small 'l') orientation is focused on economic-freedom issues, rather than ungrounded moral absolutes. Still, one-issue crazies tend to congregate in Left Field precisely because they know that those of us with Jobs, responsibilities and values have little in common with them.

But at any rate, the long lines at the polls in my home town (solid working-class and with a 60/40 Democratic advantage in registration) provided some glimmer of hope, and as all the supposed toss-ups turned down the Clinton/Obama snake oil, things looked better and better.

I'm normally somewhat nocturnal, and turn in some time between midnight and 2 AM, but stayed up until my home state drove the last nail into the coffin of the Clinton campaign. Haven't been particularly distressed by all the cackling and crowing coming from the Great Hen House since Tuesday, either.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-09-2017 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 PM

6,266 posts, read 5,080,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If that's the case they would have had to live with it the same as liberals have to live with it.
This

Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Totally agree. Why should we let The Coasts decide the election and not everywhere else? That's not fair to the millions upon Millions in between the coasts, where our agriculture comes from. I think people on the coasts fail to realize we wouldn't survive without flyover country.
Agriculture comes from the coasts too. I could see a lot of economic warfare in this country resulting from the divide that exists. Coastal states not hiring people from the middle of the country that interview for jobs, people buying their produce and dairy locally to avoid giving money to the middle, coastal congressional representatives voting against anything that benefits the middle because that would please their constituents. Look at the delight by Trump supporters at the sadness of Clinton supporters. Taken to its natural conclusion, the coastal states could start working regionally such as the west and the northeast and letting the middle work with the south. Trump got that ball rolling when he did his gloating tour on election night and afterward.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:22 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,600,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
All 50 states plus DC have a say, as each of the 51 hold individual elections,with the winner getting 100% of the EC votes in all but 2, which have a more proportional system.

A wonderful system, where it is partly proportional to population, but partly not.
You haven't been following this conversation very closely, have you?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM

34,089 posts, read 17,145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You haven't been following this conversation very closely, have you?
I have been. I have also always been a huge fan of our EC system.

Ingenious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections