Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Here we go again with the popular vote. If we based our elections on popular vote, then New York City and Los Angeles would decide our elections every single time. So, why is it fair that 2 cities decide who the president is gonna be? We vote based on States. More states wanted Trump than not. Maybe you should take a look at the 12th amendment again and get back to us. Peace.
It's fair because that's where the people are. If the people in flyover country don't like it, they can move to more populous areas, like every other freaking country with a democracy does it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 AM

1,018 posts, read 512,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's fair because that's where the people are. If the people in flyover country don't like it, they can move to more populous areas, like every other freaking country with a democracy does it!
But, we aren't a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic. States elect the President, not Popular Vote. The founding fathers were smart in knowing that just 2 cities could decide for the entire country, and realized that everyone has a voice, not just the cesspool of liberals in California and New York. If you don't like how our system is set up, go to Canada where they elect on Direct Democracy. Someone failed Civics class I see.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 AM

764 posts, read 235,811 times
Quote:
Actually, states vote. So as things are now, if the coastal big city people don't like it they can move to the flyover areas and change the demographics, since we are not a democracy.

edit: the user above me was quicker

Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Actually, states vote. So as things are now, if the coastal big city people don't like it they can move to the flyover areas and change the demographics, since we are not a democracy.

edit: the user above me was quicker
Totally agree. Why should we let The Coasts decide the election and not everywhere else? That's not fair to the millions upon Millions in between the coasts, where our agriculture comes from. I think people on the coasts fail to realize we wouldn't survive without flyover country.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Totally agree. Why should we let The Coasts decide the election and not everywhere else? That's not fair to the millions upon Millions in between the coasts, where our agriculture comes from. I think people on the coasts fail to realize we wouldn't survive without flyover country.
California produces more food than any other state, fact

Old 11-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
But, we aren't a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic. States elect the President, not Popular Vote. The founding fathers were smart in knowing that just 2 cities could decide for the entire country, and realized that everyone has a voice, not just the cesspool of liberals in California and New York. If you don't like how our system is set up, go to Canada where they elect on Direct Democracy. Someone failed Civics class I see.
I didn't fail civics, I know about the Electoral College. I just think it's outdated, as the majority of the country is literate now. When the EC was created, only the wealthy were literate

Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I didn't fail civics, I know about the Electoral College. I just think it's outdated, as the majority of the country is literate now. When the EC was created, only the wealthy were literate

So then deal with the Electoral College or get out. Let me ask you a question, and answer it honestly, if Clinton lost the popular vote, but won the electoral college, would you still want to abolish it?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,555,676 times
Quote:
And in a similar vein, it's the major metropolitan areas that are the economic engines that "make America great". Would the US be a superpower without them?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 AM

1,323 posts, read 589,621 times
Quote:
You should probably show Cali and Florida a little more respect given the amount of produce that's grown there.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 AM

1,323 posts, read 589,621 times
Quote:
Cesspool of liberals? Those are Americans you are referring to and they make up 1/2 the country. Why do hate America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections