Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Dude, you clearly can't read. Obama did not get more votes in the 2008 primary than Hillary. Hence, losing the popular vote.
Um, excuse me. The president is elected in the general election, not the primary. Again, I'm sorry you're so confused about how all this works. Although, to be fair, our system IS a bit convoluted and not as straight forward as it is in many other democracies.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-26-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 12:01 PM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um, excuse me. The president is elected in the general election, not the primary. Again, I'm sorry you're so confused about how all this works. Although, to be fair, our system IS a bit convoluted and not as straight forward as it is in many other democracies.
I know how it works. Yes, a president is elected in the general. My point is that some of the left are saying "Well, Trump didn't win the popular vote." It is true, but Obama didn't in the primary. More democrats voted for Hillary, so by the left's logic, she should have been on the ballot in 2008. That is the point I am trying to make.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Of course, Florida this Michigan that. The excuses with you Democrats is quite sad. "Oh, but, Obama did this so that's why." yada yada yada. He lost the popular vote. Denial isn't a river in Egypt.
I dont understand the point of people like you posting here. If you are just going to rant and/or troll, why not go to Breitbart or RollCall ????

You have clearly been proven wrong, and you just dont care.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
I know how it works. Yes, a president is elected in the general. My point is that some of the left are saying "Well, Trump didn't win the popular vote." It is true, but Obama didn't in the primary. More democrats voted for Hillary, so by the left's logic, she should have been on the ballot in 2008. That is the point I am trying to make.
Barack Obama's name was no on the ballot in the one race thatr Put Clinton over the top because the Democratic Party stripped the state of the delegates.

If you dont understand what those words mean, then say so, otherwise you playing dumb because it hurts for you to admit there is a difference between the 2.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:22 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Right, but Hillary's popular vote lead in CA nears 4 million, so why should 4 million in one state decide who the President is for the other 320 million?
You ask that as if the other 320 disagree with those 4 million, the actual support of the candidates break down to:
Trump: 62,984,825
Clinton:65,853,516
That is a total of 128,838,341 votes for the two main candidates.
The total number of eligible voters is around235,248,000 voters
That leaves 106,409,659 voters that did not vote, nearly Half of Americans, to me that speaks volumes about what so many thought of the two candidates.
So the argument that 4 million voters would have a final say over 320 million is a false claim based on a lack of facts, they are simply shifting the outcome based on their own individual votes.
Yes, I know we are a Republic, but as such we elect EVERY other official based on the popular vote, except for the one that counts the most. There was once good reason to have an Electoral College, that day has passed and should be the Will of All the People, why would you be against that.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, I know we are a Republic, but as such we elect EVERY other official based on the popular vote, except for the one that counts the most. .

EC is a spectacular system.

Founders were correct then, and it works well now.

Dems were not whining about it 18 months ago.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:58 PM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You ask that as if the other 320 disagree with those 4 million, the actual support of the candidates break down to:
Trump: 62,984,825
Clinton:65,853,516
That is a total of 128,838,341 votes for the two main candidates.
The total number of eligible voters is around235,248,000 voters
That leaves 106,409,659 voters that did not vote, nearly Half of Americans, to me that speaks volumes about what so many thought of the two candidates.
So the argument that 4 million voters would have a final say over 320 million is a false claim based on a lack of facts, they are simply shifting the outcome based on their own individual votes.
Yes, I know we are a Republic, but as such we elect EVERY other official based on the popular vote, except for the one that counts the most. There was once good reason to have an Electoral College, that day has passed and should be the Will of All the People, why would you be against that.
So, if Hillary won the EC but lost the popular vote you would still be for abolishing the EC, right? The EC makes sure that every state has a voice, not just CA. Trump was elected by winning the popular vote in the majority of the states. If we went based on popular vote, it would only be useful to campaign in NY and CA, tell me how you think that's fair. And, btw, no, we don't elect based on popular vote for everything else. Cause Obama lost the popular vote in 2008 but won the nomination.

Last edited by Boss1234; 12-26-2017 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
EC is a spectacular system.

Founders were correct then, and it works well now.

Dems were not whining about it 18 months ago.
Nope, not really.

Then they were, it has outlived it's purpose.

I am not a Dem, and I have complained about the outdated system for at least 30 years.

Oh I do not think it will change, neither Party wants it to, it plays into their hands. Keep that in mind when a Dem wins the WH while losing the popular vote by Millions, will it still be spectacular then?

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
The whining of the Democrats about the existence of the EC shows why they're such poor losers and constantly miserable to go with their disgust and ludicrous histrionics about the newly-signed tax bill and offers even more irrefutable proof of their hatred of the middle class for no remotely intelligent reason.

NOBODY in this country with a brain wants the liberal policies of the Democrats to run our lives and run our country into the ground; eight years of OBAMUNISM was a disaster for millions of Americans and minorities in particular.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So, if Hillary won the EC but lost the popular vote you would still be for abolishing the EC, right? The EC makes sure that every state has a voice, not just CA. Trump was elected by winning the popular vote in the majority of the states. If we went based on popular vote, it would only be useful to campaign in NY and CA, tell me how you think that's fair. And, btw, no, we don't elect based on popular vote for everything else. Cause Obama lost the popular vote in 2008 but won the nomination.
Yes, I would, I did not vote for Hillary. Sorry but Obama did not lose the popular vote in 2008, he won by 10 Million votes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections