Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,083,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'm not a fan of Trump. There is no recession yet. There might not be a recession prior to 2020 either. Sure, there may (or may not) be economic indicators of a coming recession, but until there IS an actual recession, we can't say we are in a Trump Recession.

For example, GDP is mostly in line with the mean GDP over the last 9 years. If GDP is a measure of a recession, then whatever we assign to Trump's economy applies to Obama's economy.
Presidents typically have little direct influence on the economy. The stock market isn't the economy, in case anyone was wondering. However, we've never had a president like Trump before, and his actions could indeed destabilize global norms on things like trade (already happening), which could indeed have negative consequences on the overall health of the economy. His tax cuts will also have long-term implications that will not necessarily rear their ugly heads before he's out of office. Piling on more and more debt, especially at the expense of future generations, is hardly good economic policy. This is where the American need for instant gratification will come back to bite us in the **s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 02:32 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Presidents typically have little direct influence on the economy. ....

Maybe, maybe not.

But they are sure judged by it in the voting booth. That is all that matters to the politician.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:50 PM

16,624 posts, read 8,632,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is funny how you are already calling something that hasn't happened the "Trump Recession".

Good question, but don't think the Democrats are not going to try and help create one, because it is party over country.
To them social issues are much more important to them, and if the economy is doing bad, it helps to get even more people dependent on government handouts.

This video shows how many of them think, but are too afraid to say it. Bill Maher has no such fear;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgA43xmuw54

`

Old 07-05-2018, 04:42 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,810,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Liberals are praying for a recession. Sad.
Except they're not going to get one because Trump is trying to make the economy self sustainable so it won't fail, IMHO.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:28 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump supporters seem to think that Trump will win in a landslide in 2020 but I think that could be especially in jeopardy if there is a recession. While Trump and his supporters believe that his trade wars and tariffs will be good for the US economy, most economic experts disagree and predict that recession will arrive in 2019 and 2020, and that this recession could possibly be worse than the last one. Unlike this last one, this one will be primarily self-inflicted. Trump and his supporters will be solely to blame for it. But, we all will have to suffer. As somebody who is still struggling to get my life going after the last recession, the prospect of another one before 2020 is something of nightmares. Yet, that is where we are.

If the recession begins before the end of Trump's first term, do you think he is done? Or, are social/cultural issues more important to Americans, important enough they will vote for Trump again anyways?
Predicting recessions again? I have yet to meet someone that is even right half of the time... Your "I am trying to scare you" method is quite pathetic... TDS...

Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

But they are sure judged by it in the voting booth. That is all that matters to the politician.
Judged by it, sure, but Trump is also seemingly getting little to no support in his approval ratings for the state of the economy. That's probably because of the vast political divide. The people that like him already give him credit for it, and everyone else either doesn't or they don't see it as enough of a reason to excuse everything else they don't like him for.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Except they're not going to get one because Trump is trying to make the economy self sustainable so it won't fail, IMHO.
There is no such thing as a "self-sustainable" economy.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 PM

609 posts, read 303,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Predicting recessions again? I have yet to meet someone that is even right half of the time... Your "I am trying to scare you" method is quite pathetic... TDS...
Paul Krugman, who is probably the liberal side's smartest economist, predicted a crash as soon as Trump was elected.

If Krugman's crash didn't happen then I'm not worried about the long line of hysterics that come after him!

Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Trump supporters seem to think that Trump will win in a landslide in 2020 but I think that could be especially in jeopardy if there is a recession. While Trump and his supporters believe that his trade wars and tariffs will be good for the US economy, most economic experts disagree and predict that recession will arrive in 2019 and 2020, and that this recession could possibly be worse than the last one. Unlike this last one, this one will be primarily self-inflicted. Trump and his supporters will be solely to blame for it. But, we all will have to suffer. As somebody who is still struggling to get my life going after the last recession, the prospect of another one before 2020 is something of nightmares. Yet, that is where we are.

If the recession begins before the end of Trump's first term, do you think he is done? Or, are social/cultural issues more important to Americans, important enough they will vote for Trump again anyways?
I think for Trump's core voters and supporters, social issues will be more important, but many of the "hold their nose" voters will decide to abstain from voting at the least, if not voting for a moderate left Democrat. My parents who are registered Republicans couldn't even vote Trump in 2016...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is funny how you are already calling something that hasn't happened the "Trump Recession".

Of course if the economy tanks before 2020 Trump will be in trouble election day.
The economy has it's natural ups and downs and by sheer timing we may be heading for another recession soon. We even have some Dems saying what we need is a recession to get Trump out. They are willing to hurt good people because they hate Trump so much.

Why would you blame Trump and his supporters if we do have a recession? We had a choice in 2016 between a gamble and a sure thing of deceit, corruption, scandal and back door dealings and the way I see it with Trump we had a chance.

I couldn't imagine what America would look like today if the far Left had their way with her.

The difference is with Trump the media pounds on everything he does but if Hillary was President they would be reporting, highlighting and hyping the positives while downplaying and ignoring the negatives while we continued down that one way road to ruin.
I think we under-estimate the power of the potential trade wars and tariffs on imports. I blame Trump for the economic policies he put forth, including threatening long standing trade partners with tariffs. I blame Trump also for the tax cuts on business and the rich not trickling down (not that I believed it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Um, breaking news, ladies and gentlemen: There is no Trump recession.

None.

People are working again or are about to go back to work again. The economy's the best it's been since Reagan was in office. And, the employment rate is the lowest ever for African-Americans, for Hispanics, and for women. Businesses which left the country under a previous president are coming back to the United States under President Trump.

That hardly sounds like a recession, folks. The left-wingers, meanwhile, continue to be unhinged.
Many on the right claimed that a market correction has been coming since 2015/6 so this shouldn't be a surprise, especially with the threats of trade wars with long-time trade partners of the US. That said, right now we are not a in a recession but the writing is on the wall that we could be prime for one.

Quote:
Not yet. Check back in 2019 or 2020. It's coming. The US economy is like an ocean liner. It takes time to change course. Recessions are typically rooted in economic policy years prior to when they arrive.
It very well can due to the trade wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What are you doing; watching too much Bill Maher lately? Have you thought about switching to 'real news'?
So the trade wars and tariffs will not effect the economy at all? I see this as a time bomb for a potential economic wellbeing.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
It seems like the left would rather gleefully dance as the entire country failed -- rather than see Trump succeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections