Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It seems like the left would rather gleefully dance as the entire country failed -- rather than see Trump succeed!
You mean like the right would have done with Obama of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:41 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,703,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Presidents typically have little direct influence on the economy.
I mostly agree with that statement. Republican and Democratic presidents alike use the economy to their benefit when it suits them. Since this is in the Elections sections, I focus on voting. Like Waldo said in a post after yours, the economy in whatever form the voter sees it, will matter when they go to the booth.

People that do moderate investing might look to the stock market figures. Those are mostly in-line to a little-below the average Obama years.

People that might be more savvy (I really don't know?) might zero in on something like the GDP which is again mostly in-line with the average Obama years.

People that work for a living and don't fit the previous two descriptions, might simply look to their salary growth (1% or less from what I'm reading) or to their tax returns (expectedly higher in 2018) or to unemployment numbers (lowest in while, but a continuation of the trend during Obama's term).

If you ask me, the President pulls a whole bunch of levers and mashes buttons. Sometimes these levers and buttons are actually connected to the economy. But usually they are just there for show.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I mostly agree with that statement. Republican and Democratic presidents alike use the economy to their benefit when it suits them. Since this is in the Elections sections, I focus on voting. Like Waldo said in a post after yours, the economy in whatever form the voter sees it, will matter when they go to the booth.

People that do moderate investing might look to the stock market figures. Those are mostly in-line to a little-below the average Obama years.

People that might be more savvy (I really don't know?) might zero in on something like the GDP which is again mostly in-line with the average Obama years.

People that work for a living and don't fit the previous two descriptions, might simply look to their salary growth (1% or less from what I'm reading) or to their tax returns (expectedly higher in 2018) or to unemployment numbers (lowest in while, but a continuation of the trend during Obama's term).

If you ask me, the President pulls a whole bunch of levers and mashes buttons. Sometimes these levers and buttons are actually connected to the economy. But usually they are just there for show.
And I think the the tariffs levers could easily bite Trump in the butt because of people losing work or having higher cost goods whether due to the price increasing due to import tariffs or the export tariffs we have recently heard about.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So the trade wars and tariffs will not effect the economy at all? I see this as a time bomb for a potential economic wellbeing.

The question is whether or not unfair trade deals affect our economy? President Trump is a negotiator. You cannot negotiate unless your competition is aware that your are serious. I just think that it is too early to say how this will all play out. You could be right; but I think it is just another poker game and he will back off after we get the right deal.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The question is whether or not unfair trade deals affect our economy? President Trump is a negotiator. You cannot negotiate unless your competition is aware that your are serious. I just think that it is too early to say how this will all play out. You could be right; but I think it is just another poker game and he will back off after we get the right deal.
As of right now with many companies folding under and moving or raising prices based on the proposed tariffs on U.S. products and foreign goods, it isn't helping us at all. Trump is doing a horrible job at negotiating, look at North Korea where in some circles he was saying the initial talks were a failure.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump supporters seem to think that Trump will win in a landslide in 2020 but I think that could be especially in jeopardy if there is a recession. While Trump and his supporters believe that his trade wars and tariffs will be good for the US economy, most economic experts disagree and predict that recession will arrive in 2019 and 2020, and that this recession could possibly be worse than the last one. Unlike this last one, this one will be primarily self-inflicted. Trump and his supporters will be solely to blame for it. But, we all will have to suffer. As somebody who is still struggling to get my life going after the last recession, the prospect of another one before 2020 is something of nightmares. Yet, that is where we are.

If the recession begins before the end of Trump's first term, do you think he is done? Or, are social/cultural issues more important to Americans, important enough they will vote for Trump again anyways?
so far, no recession. So the question is almost meaningless at this time.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,703,229 times
Quote:
And I think the the tariffs levers could easily bite Trump in the butt because of people losing work or having higher cost goods whether due to the price increasing due to import tariffs or the export tariffs we have recently heard about.
Well, tariffs could be lever that is actually connected to the economy. We'll see what happens. If I knew exactly what the fallout would be, I'd probably not be posting on CD right now.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:26 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
I’m glad to see the pu$&y hat brigade is still having the same old wet dreams.

IF there were a recession in the next few years it would be the fault of the Dimocrats. Not Trump. They are the ones who eagerly await it.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times
Quote:
Nah. People on the right are smarter than that. Try again.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,374,806 times
Quote:
The right didn't have to do anything. Obama messed it up all on his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections