Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
in Pennsylvania trump didnt flip voters, he turn out his voters. there is a difference.
I've never claimed he did. He didn't.

Quote:
If that is what you define as a "shift", thats fine. But I define it as voters actually changing their views.

even many so called "Obama-Trump" voters claim they didnt change what they believed in.
You know very well what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,594 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've never claimed he did. He didn't.

You know very well what I mean.
No I dont, thats why I ask for clarification and gave what I believe to be your meaning. Pretending we know what each other means is exactly how you get miscommunication.

If you meant something different, state so. this is a discussion forum. if you are here, you obviously have time. dont get angry because I cant read your mind.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:23 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,686 times
I am a moderate that voted Carter, Reagan, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama, Romney, Trump. I point this out to say I can go with either party and with one exception I have been in sync with the majority of moderates that decide elections. At this point none of the leading Dems is anyone I could bring myself to vote for. Except for Biden they are all too far left extremist, and while Biden is much more moderate, he never asserted himself standing up to any of Obama's identity excesses.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I am a moderate that voted Carter, Reagan, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Obama, Romney, Trump. I point this out to say I can go with either party and with one exception I have been in sync with the majority of moderates that decide elections. At this point none of the leading Dems is anyone I could bring myself to vote for. Except for Biden they are all too far left extremist, and while Biden is much more moderate, he never asserted himself standing up to any of Obama's identity excesses.
How do you figure out wanting to help out those at the lower rungs of society being a "far left extreme" position?

Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Sherrod Brown Says He's Not Considering 2020 Presidential Bid | WOSU Radio

I guess not.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 PM

32,091 posts, read 15,089,435 times
Joe Kennedy lll should run. Both parties need to stop running the older generation. We need new and fresh faces to take our country forward. Who would be comparable in the republican party to Joe Kennedy.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Joe Kennedy lll should run. Both parties need to stop running the older generation. We need new and fresh faces to take our country forward. Who would be comparable in the republican party to Joe Kennedy.
The straw poll had J.K. on it and that's who I voted for. I'd like to see a "new" Kennedy at the helm. Smart and his name. Why not, look what we have now...not smart and that name.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Surely there is another Bush willing to run.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Surely there is another Bush willing to run.
Willing?

George P. Bush (Jeb's son) won his primary earlier this year, running for a second term as Commissioner of the Texas General Land Office (a statewide post):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Bush

Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,283,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Clinton got 46% of the vote in Pennsylvania, not 0%

We are talking about a difference between 66,000 voters from 2012 to 2016.

in short, stop using "most" or "the people" as if there was some major shift.
Let's look at Philadelphia specifically. Fewer than 2/3 of the voters turned out. Democrats outnumber Republicans 7-1 in that city. Look at point number five in this article. The parts of PA that are usually responsible for giving the Democrats the win were not a factor in the election, like they have been for all of the past elections since the 1990's. If you want to say that's not a shift, then go right ahead. I live in PA, though. I'll go with what I saw and what I heard with my own ears.

Democrats need to get someone who will get their voters energized, and I don't see it being any of those listed in the OP. From the same article, note the part about immigration being a big issue for some PA voters. Hazelton has almost literally been taken over by Spanish-speaking immigrants, many illegal, and it's starting to spill onto other towns. Bartletta got into some hot water for trying to make it harder for the illegals to get hired, and you'd have thought he was Satan incarnate because of it. You can bet that Trumps message resonated with people in this area - even some Democrats. None of those four will do well in a lot of places across the country that are struggling with an illegal immigrant population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections