Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 11:15 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Let's talk about that buying votes, seriously.

That's original, I can give you that, quipped Mayor Pete. Now that guy travels around on a private plane, probably from his rich donors, and spends money on ads. Nothing unusual, they all do that. Also, nothing that is not allowed.

But, still

My guy does nothing of the sort. Instead, he decides to spend 120 grand - probably fuel for Pete's plane - on
- helping 10 families for a year
- gathering more data on UBI
- drawing attention to UBI
- drawing attention to his candidacy

Also,
- he is meeting new ppl, even on planes
- his followers are creating all kinds of internet memes and ads for him, no fee, just inspired

Yes, Mayor Pete, that is original. And more.

How many times are you going to copy and paste this nonsense.

Its buying votes, plain and simple. Those 10 people are one thing, but its the false hope that he is giving millions of others trying to entice them with free money if he gets elected, aka buying votes. They all do it. Yang is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:52 AM

934 posts, read 403,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Its buying votes, plain and simple. Those 10 people are one thing, but its the false hope that he is giving millions of others trying to entice them with free money if he gets elected, aka buying votes. They all do it. Yang is no different.
1. This is MY post.
2. I posted it TWICE here and once on twitter. Far fewer times than I heard the nonsense claiming that Yang is buying votes.
3. Yang is promoting the idea of UBI. He has good reasons to do it and those have nothing to do with his own well-being. He could have been multi-millionaire, perhaps even billionaire himself by now, if he had set his mind on it.

I suggest some reading instead of trying to find fault with other forum members. Some reading may prove to be more fruitful.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:08 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:

No this is a bad argument. Politicians make promises to do things thats not buying votes thats how politics works. Yang at least has a good plan that will help people he has my vote and support.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
1. This is MY post.
2. I posted it TWICE here and once on twitter. Far fewer times than I heard the nonsense claiming that Yang is buying votes.
3. Yang is promoting the idea of UBI. He has good reasons to do it and those have nothing to do with his own well-being. He could have been multi-millionaire, perhaps even billionaire himself by now, if he had set his mind on it.

I suggest some reading instead of trying to find fault with other forum members. Some reading may prove to be more fruitful.
Its not nonsense. Hes dangling money in front of a few voters to show hes willing to do it for many more if he gets elected. I've already read about it, its a tax that is just taking my money to give to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
No this is a bad argument. Politicians make promises to do things thats not buying votes thats how politics works. Yang at least has a good plan that will help people he has my vote and support.
Promises are one thing, handing out money is a completely different beast. Its not that hard to understand.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Its not nonsense. Hes dangling money in front of a few voters to show hes willing to do it for many more if he gets elected. I've already read about it, its a tax that is just taking my money to give to others.
If you are some sort of a mini Bezos, I can see why you would look at things this way.
Even if smth like that is the case, you have been using infrastructure, labor market, customer base, plus customer data from US ppl, all that for free and are not ready to give anything back.

If you are middle class or working class, then we are talking about
10% of your money, most probably less, depending on

- whether the sellers and manufacturers are absorbing a part or whole of that 10% increase caused by VAT

- which goods you buy are subject to VAT and which aren't - Yang already said some goods would be exempt from VAT

Btw, that VAT is small potatoes compared to VAT in my neck of woods which is 25%.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
If you are some sort of a mini Bezos, I can see why you would look at things this way.
Even if smth like that is the case, you have been using infrastructure, labor market, customer base, plus customer data from US ppl, all that for free and are not ready to give anything back.

If you are middle class or working class, then we are talking about
10% of your money, most probably less, depending on

- whether the sellers and manufacturers are absorbing a part or whole of that 10% increase caused by VAT

- which goods you buy are subject to VAT and which aren't - Yang already said some goods would be exempt from VAT

Btw, that VAT is small potatoes compared to VAT in my neck of woods which is 25%.
You are sadly mistaken if you think companies are absorbing it. And guess what, when the price goes up for one company that is targeted, I'm sure other companies not subject to the VAT will creep up their prices a bit too. And what happens with companies where the price goes up and there is no real viable alternative.

Its a joke, Yang has some decent thoughts at a high level, but this certainly isn't one of them.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
You are sadly mistaken if you think companies are absorbing it. And guess what, when the price goes up for one company that is targeted, I'm sure other companies not subject to the VAT will creep up their prices a bit too. And what happens with companies where the price goes up and there is no real viable alternative.

Its a joke, Yang has some decent thoughts at a high level, but this certainly isn't one of them.
Now you think you are sure you guess right. And there is no competition around to regulate the market. In a country of 330 M ppl. Your guessing is at least as flawed as mine, as far as details are concerned. I'm looking at the big picture and it is solid. Will there be tweaks, difficulties, things to settle or overcome. There will be, as there always are when things change. Never seen one single change happen without some initial difficulties. Never seen one new system implemented anywhere without ppl bitching before, during and for some time after. But then everything goes back to normal after a while.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Now you think you are sure you guess right. And there is no competition around to regulate the market. In a country of 330 M ppl. Your guessing is at least as flawed as mine, as far as details are concerned. I'm looking at the big picture and it is solid. Will there be tweaks, difficulties, things to settle or overcome. There will be, as there always are when things change. Never seen one single change happen without some initial difficulties. Never seen one new system implemented anywhere without ppl bitching before, during and for some time after. But then everything goes back to normal after a while.
Well its a terrible plan and no way I'd vote for him. I'd be shocked if he cracks 15% support in the Dem party alone.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well its a terrible plan and no way I'd vote for him. I'd be shocked if he cracks 15% support in the Dem party alone.
I agree to completely disagree.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Again we have to look to the future. Cost of living is rising and cost of goods is rising. Taxes are rising and debt is rising. The minimum bwage will rise and taxes will rise. Yang is on to something. If we can lower corporate taxes will hopefully lower cost of goods. If we could lower income tax burden and raise the minimum wage via UBI. Again will avoid destabilizing the market with businesses struggling to catch up with the change in wages and those surviving raising the cost of goods. There is a lot of Debt the U.S. is in. If the U.S. can generate more funds via a VAT. Also curb spending by capping the budget, modernizing various Government departments, reforming Government services, and combining Government services will help lowering US spending.

So that's why I am voting for Yang. Feel if he chooses a Dem with military background for his VP be a great combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections