Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 10:29 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The problem with raising the minimum wage is the fact that some states never raise it. The failure creates pockets of poverty.

Yang wants to float all boats, not just some of them. He sees the UBi as the only device that will eventually eliminate the stubborn poverty that persists in some states despite every past attempt to end it.
MLK floated this idea around.

Yes minimum wage should be left to the States. Cost of living varies by States. The Federal Government coming in hiking it up can possibly lead to a negative economic impact. UBI gives people money to save or spend stimulating the economy.

Now with UBI could an individual receiving State benefits, unemployment, or social security still be eligible for UBI?

Last edited by RunD1987; 09-05-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Now with UBI could an individual receiving State benefits, unemployment, or social security still be eligible for UBI?
Yang has said that his plan is up to $1000 in government assistance. So if you already have more than that in government assistance programs then you may not be entitled to any additional. If you currently use no government assistance then you would be eligible for the full $1000.

Social security isn't really government assistance since its money that you paid in though.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yang has said that his plan is up to $1000 in government assistance. So if you already have more than that in government assistance programs then you may not be entitled to any additional. If you currently use no government assistance then you would be eligible for the full $1000.

Social security isn't really government assistance since its money that you paid in though.
If you opt out of all others you can opt in to the $1,000.00 ... it's a choice.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
If you opt out of all others you can opt in to the $1,000.00 ... it's a choice.
I am thinking it's only if you opt out for Federal SSI. State supplemental SSI, WIC, unmployment benefits, and social security could continue to keep while receiving the $1,000 freedom dividend.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:28 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am thinking it's only if you opt out for Federal SSI. State supplemental SSI, WIC, unmployment benefits, and social security could continue to keep while receiving the $1,000 freedom dividend.
I was told he changed that to that ^ from his first roll out on the idea. And I know the idea is to get people who receive assistance from the other government assistant programs to opt out of those and choose (opt into) the Freedom Dividend, however, there are people with children on medical assistance that $1,000.00 a month would only be a drop in the bucket in covering their expenses.

In essence he would still be funding the present government assistant programs, as well as, funding the UBI. Try doing that math. May as well fund a boarder wall.

He is right about one thing, people today do not trust their government. The government is the problem not the solution to that problem.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I was told he changed that to that ^ from his first roll out on the idea. And I know the idea is to get people who receive assistance from the other government assistant programs to opt out of those and choose (opt into) the Freedom Dividend, however, there are people with children on medical assistance that $1,000.00 a month would only be a drop in the bucket in covering their expenses.

In essence he would still be funding the present government assistant programs, as well as, funding the UBI. Try doing that math. May as well fund a boarder wall.

He is right about one thing, people today do not trust their government. The government is the problem not the solution to that problem.
$1,000 a month is a lot more than SSI a month will say that. Working in the social service field it's a large complaint while on government medical disability they rarely receive a big chunk of change. Where we are rent reducing apartments for around $500. Then they still need to feed themselves and pay utilities with around $300 left. I mean $1,000 with State supplemental disability can go far for these individuals.

Out of a lot of ideas mentioned in this campaign cycle feel Yang offers feasible soultions in ways to go about funding these programs.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:51 AM

934 posts, read 402,325 times
Ok, here's Yangs barely eight minutes from the third Dem debate. While Joe had 17. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Andrew said as many words as Joe. The same thing happened in a previous debate and they actually showed it in a graph.

Besides, there's a silver lining in getting less time for this type of debate which I'll discuss later in the post.
This video is 11 minutes long and has questions to Yang and his answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3siHgkArebE

Some questions are designed to pitch the candidates against each other. Many are targeted to raising emotions while addressing the problems that should be solved with a clear mind and a cold head. So, in a way, it is better that Yang doesn't even speak when questions are raised in such tone, although he has demonstrated his ability not to lose points at such moments. Let Kamala whine her way through these issues, let Beto and Cory grandstand and let Castro try to get some cheap points in his obvious attempt to make Joe look senile.

I believe Yang is doing just fine for the time being. He will qualify for November. And he has got some support from the media. Here is Fredo totally warming up to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvHKIZGhQg

Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I agree. But Yang and all the others in the pack are going to have to run a lot faster and stronger to catch up to Biden, Warren, and Sanders. Becoming the leader of the pack is never good enough if the leader of the race remains in the lead at the finish line.

I thought Andy did better than he's done before, so he still shows promise. Enough promise for me to kick him a few more bucks.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:47 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree. But Yang and all the others in the pack are going to have to run a lot faster and stronger to catch up to Biden, Warren, and Sanders. Becoming the leader of the pack is never good enough if the leader of the race remains in the lead at the finish line.

I thought Andy did better than he's done before, so he still shows promise. Enough promise for me to kick him a few more bucks.
Agreed Mike I gave him 20 bucks after the debate.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Agreed Mike I gave him 20 bucks after the debate.
Yup. These days, it's the little guys like us who are making all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections