Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,818,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
popular votes don't win Presidential elections regardless if California and the rest of the sanctuary states keep filling their cities with immigration.

Trump was a true outsider. He wasn't supported by the GOP establishment and still won a 17 candidate primary.....all 3 previous GOP Presidential candidates didn't support or campaign for Trump ( W Bush, Mccain, and Romney) they actually rather see Hillary win than Trump due to her neocon foreign policy and globalism on trade deals.

with all that against him and being outspent 3 to 1 and a hostile media, Trump won 30 states and 306 EV.......name me 1 Democrat candidate that can do what Trump did without the support of the Democrat establishment and without the support of the last 3 Democrat Presidential candidates?......Bernie Sanders couldn't do it, he couldn't beat the least popular Democrat nominee of the last 60 years and Sanders is the most popular Senator and politician in the U.S. Senate and the Democrat establishment didn't go hard on Sanders as the GOP establishment went after Trump.

I think there is one that doesn't require Democrat "establishment"

Michael Rubens Bloomberg KBE is an American businessman, politician, author, and philanthropist. As of June 2018, his net worth was estimated at $51.8 billion, making him the 8th-richest person in the United States and the 11th richest person in the world. Wikipedi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,628,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Unless Trump decides not to run in 2020 no republican of an consequence is going to challenge him....because they all know they can't win.I'm not sure Trump will win re-election but I have no doubt he will be re-nominated.
A lot can still happen. I think it may depend on how long this shut-down lasts. It's the longest one ever, with no real promise of an end, although I think that may - may - be beginning to change.

So far, the people who are really getting hit have been government employees, with SNAP recipients next on the list if nothing changes. The conventional wisdom seems to be that most of these people are Democrats, and that may or may not be true. Government contractors are getting hurt, too, and I have no idea how they usually vote. The thing is, over time, what affects them will eventually start to affect the economy in general. People will default on loans, people will be buying fewer groceries, and grocery stores already operate on a slim profit margin. In other words, business will be harmed. That doesn't even take into account the reaction to some other potential shut-down related crisis - a major outbreak of food-borne illness or a major air travel disaster.

If the shut-down ends tomorrow, harm will have been done, but probably not a terrible amount of irreversible harm. If it continues, that will change. Eventually it's going to touch the economy, and then I think Trump's support may begin to erode. Most of his hard-core base will likely remain faithful (although I've seen at least a couple here say they've become disillusioned), but Republicans for whom he was second, third, or last choice might start wishing for someone whose approach to negotiation is a bit less...scorched earth. I don't mean to say that they won't still blame the Democrats, too, but that does not mean he will come out of it unscathed, and he cannot win without at least some support from these "establishment" types.

This isn't necessarily a prediction that he will be primaried, but it is my opinion that damn near anything could happen. Time, as always, will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections