Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Warren's rhetoric is insulting to anyone who knows her background. she is a millionaire professor who used a (fake) minority status to rise within academia. The far left loves her. the rest of us see her as a constantly shrieking, opportunistic liar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is so false
What part?

The far left loves her or the rest of us see her as a shrieking psycho ?

Sounds true to me.

Personally, I'd love to see her get the Dem nomination. I'm sure you would also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What part?

The far left loves her or the rest of us see her as a shrieking psycho ?

Sounds true to me.

Personally, I'd love to see her get the Dem nomination. I'm sure you would also.
The shreiking opportunistic liar part, and the fake minority status for her rise in academia part, or basically the whole post.

Harvard went on the record saying her ethnicity had no bearing on her hiring, for the millionth time. And she rose on merit, she obviously would have flamed out early in her career otherwise, actual cheaters never make it far

Old 05-22-2019, 05:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
Shes a complete loser. Another academic who's never signed the front of a paycheck. If the nominee, Trump will trounce her handily.
Make no bets just yet. Remember that Trump capitalized on the same anger, and will do it again next year.

Warren didn't get where she is by being nice, just like Donald Trump didn't get to the White House by being nice.

Elizabeth didn't spend her life as an academic; she was a practicing lawyer for many years before she ever taught the law.

She had to work hard for her paychecks for decades, as much of her time was spent working from home doing wills and real estate closings while she was caring for her young children. No one had any money in her family. She had to work for every dollar she earned.

And don't forget that she's from Oklahoma. Oklahoma doesn't promote it's losers; it buries them and puts a headstone on the grave.

I can't predict how well Warren will do, but if she goes all the way, Trump will have the fight of his life ahead of him. Warren wouldn't be easy to trounce at all.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Easy to understand why so many people dislike (or supposedly fear) Elizabeth Warren. Hillary may at least try to be diplomatic. Liz, not so much. I'd hope we'd all approve of her being tough on regulators.

“No one has been more tougher on Wells Fargo than myself. No one has been more outspoken.â€
“You mean at the OCC? That’s a low bar."
“I would disagree with that. I find it insulting that you would make that comment.â€
“Good.â€

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/el...nsulting-good/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.2b633546e5a4

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...ng-wells-fargo

I am disgusted with Dem reps walking on eggshells. I love Warren because she is no nonsense to the point and blunt, besides being brilliant. In fact, it would be Warren that could easily spank Trump and send him to sit in the corner with a pointed red MAGA dunce cap on.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
I dunno if I'll get around to reading it about I wonder exactly where she came out on bankruptcy law. There is the corporate position, the consumer position and maybe somewhere in between. You can make it hard to file and get relief, easier to file and get relief and in between. I dunno exactly where the line should be but imo it should not be too easy. Probably not too hard either but I've seen more people use it to bail themselves out of bad behavior and judgment than I've seen folks fail to get it and having a sympathetic case. But I am not familiar with enough cases to make a broad conclusion. I assume she was supportive a position more favorable to consumers than average among lawyers and judges but I dunno how favorable that position was to them.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I dunno if I'll get around to reading it about I wonder exactly where she came out on bankruptcy law. There is the corporate position, the consumer position and maybe somewhere in between. You can make it hard to file and get relief, easier to file and get relief and in between. I dunno exactly where the line should be but imo it should not be too easy. Probably not too hard either but I've seen more people use it to bail themselves out of bad behavior and judgment than I've seen folks fail to get it and having a sympathetic case. But I am not familiar with enough cases to make a broad conclusion. I assume she was supportive a position more favorable to consumers than average among lawyers and judges but I dunno how favorable that position was to them.
If you're familiar with her from her days before she was a Senator (I am), she's on the consumer side

Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Yeah I know her general lean but I haven't read the deep specifics.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
She'll be playin' the victim card shortly.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 PM

So for a time in her career she helped corporations defend their bankruptcies. According to one source- "She helped LTV Steel in its effort to dodge paying employee benefits in 1995; helped defend the Travelers Insurance company in a 2009 Supreme Court case against consumer asbestos claims and did bankruptcy consulting work for Dow Chemical after a lawsuit by thousands of women with allegedly faulty breast implants that caused health problems."

More details: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/eli...class-champion

In a 1987 law journal article, she said a named colleague believed that "the only goal of bankruptcy is to enhance the collection efforts of creditors with state-defined property rights." By contrast she said to her that "bankruptcy policy becomes a composite of factors that bear on a better answer to the question, "How shall the losses be distributed?" A quick read of the 40 page article seems to boil down to: stuff happens that makes it unlikely or impossible for debtors to fully pay creditors. Once that happens, yeah, you have to decided how the losses will be distributed and that debtor law is not the same as simply collections law and can consider issues of social justice and well-being.

There were debates about her data and conclusions.

Another article said: "In 1989, she, the sociologist Teresa Sullivan, and fellow law prof Jay Westbrook, published As We Forgive Our Debtors, a detailed study of 1,500 bankruptcy filings in three states. Warren et al found that bankrupts were not driven by fraud or a simple unwillingness to pay — they were just broke, deeply in debt, and had no other options. That contradicted the assertions of the credit industry, which blamed the long rise in bankruptcy filings on the 1978 revisions to the bankruptcy code, which they saw as too debtor-friendly. It was too easy to wipe out debt, and the creditor class wanted to change that." It comes down to who to help and how much.

When Warren and Biden sparred on the issue a couple of decades ago, the case was over a proposed law but the argument imo was more about the two sides of the debtor creditor relationship. In this case, credit card companies vs consumers in financial difficulty. Law and policy are intertwined and sometimes conflicted. Neither can really hang sufficiently on its own.

More detail here: https://www.boston.com/news/politics...n-2020-history

Further history of what happened: "A tightening of the code passed both houses of Congress and was the last piece of legislation sent to Bill Clinton for his signature. He and the administration were all for it, but Hillary, after being briefed on the topic by Elizabeth Warren, convinced her husband to veto the bill. (Warren tells the story to Bill Moyers in this video.) It came back a few years later, and George W. Bush signed it. By then, Hillary had evolved. She supported it and encouraged its passage — though, in classic Hillary fashion, she didn’t cast a vote on the bill. (Joe Biden did — a yes.) It was going to pass, so why leave a possibly embarrassing stain on your record if you’re planning to run for president?"

And more context: "The credit card giant MBNA—at the time, the third-largest issuer of credit cards—was based in [Biden's] home state. Its executives and employees were some of Biden’s biggest campaign contributors, giving more than $200,000 over the course of his career, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. One of Biden’s sons, Hunter, worked at MBNA after graduating from law school and later consulted for the company after a stint in the Commerce Department."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...cy-bill-225728

And more followup, if you want it: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...5-biden-warren

The issue comes now again with regard to bankruptcy law and student loans: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri.../#1d4b05d27fdc

Were the borrowers sympathetic victims of broken economy and broken lending laws? And / or living beyond means and failing to be make sufficient effort to repay obligations? Up for different readings.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-22-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 PM

You could side with Warren, Biden or possibly in-between. Policy changes, law changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections