Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Stacey Abrams essentially accused Biden of being sexist/racist for offering her the VP spot.
“I think it is deeply problematic that there would be a discussion of relegating any woman to the role of second when the primary has yet to fully take shape,” she said. “I think it’s a reflection again of this notion of what leadership looks like.”
Very bad for Biden and where he thinks his true support lies. Fascinating that Abrams might also decide to join the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnytISMdBc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Of course she is insulted.

In the twisted world of the Liberal Progressive if a square was elected the circle would be outraged and offended.

They are putting themselves into a corner where there is no winning or even advancement because someone somewhere will be offended.

Of course a woman could be President but one shouldn't scoff at becoming the VP..

Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
It is not normal to talk about it before the convention run-up but I'm ok with candidates talking about VP considerations if they want. Yeah is politically motivated and some choices are not going to want to be named early. It would be better to name someone who is ok with the thought.

This time, maybe more than usual, it will need to be a coalition ticket of some kind.

I think one or more of the candidates (especially lower tier) could / should go ahead and name a "strategic partner" if they can find one agreeable with that designation. Someone who would get serious consideration for VP or a top Cabinet position or White House post (chief of staff or senior counsel). Maybe not right now but at some point. If you are going to do it, before or just after Super Tuesday might be the right time. For some, they may need to do it earlier to have any chance.

For example, Gabbard and Moulton might draw more interest together than either alone. Or Klobuchar / Bennet or other combinations.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:18 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
I do not find it that odd. And I'll go further and say mentioning potential cabinet picks can also be helpful because it lets you know where the candidate stands.

One of the key reasons Trump was able to get elected is that he openly listed his potential SC nominees. They were all right wing social conservatives and right wing social conservatives took that to be a good sign- so they voted while the SJWs were sitting around bemoaning one candidate being the same as the other. Guess who has been rewarded with at least 2 younger SC Justices in line with their ideology?

On a side note- I'm kinda shocked he would offer Abrams. She, like Beto, did very well in a Senate race but did not win and is no guarantee to deliver her state.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
Before Super Tuesday or after Super Tuesday... Warren / Buttigieg or Buttigieg / Warren? That would be a more powerful alternative to a frontrunner if it isn't one of them yet.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
LOL. Of course she would say 5hat she is not going to step on Warren, Harris @nd 5he other women still in the running.

More likely if Biden does 2in the nomination is to see a Biden/ Harris ticket but Abrams would be a good VP choice for Biden. So you might have jumped the gun on this one.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

On a side note- I'm kinda shocked he would offer Abrams. She, like Beto, did very well in a Senate race but did not win and is no guarantee to deliver her state.

Abrams ran for governor, not senator.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Abrams ran for governor, not senator.
Correct. The similarly slim margin in an R state was coming to mind instead of the office.

With both I think going form a failed statewide campaign to a national one makes little sense.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
With both I think going form a failed statewide campaign to a national one makes little sense.

Yet Biden is a twice failed Presidential candidate. He couldn't take on the likes of Michael Dukakis and he absolutely melted against Hillary, Obama & adulterer John Edwards.

So there you are.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
I can completely understand Abrams not being interested in committing to VP for Biden at this point since despite the current polls, the odds are high that the Democratic nominee will be someone else. Maybe she will be considered for VP, but I think despite her strong efforts someone who has won a statewide race would have a better chance.

Biden is unlikely to be our next president but there is no evidence to suggest choosing him as VP hurt Obama at all in 2008 or 2012. My guess is that his current favorable polling is based heavily on name recognition and as other Democrats get better known, there is a good chance he will lose ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections