Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hate Trump, but may vote for him because the Democrats are scary?
Yes I hate Trump, I normally vote for Democrats but may vote for Trump- they are scary 34 33.33%
No, I hate Trump and support the liberal/progressive viewpoint of the Democrats. 56 54.90%
I just won't vote, and refuse to vote for a lesser of two evils 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,296,896 times

Advertisements

I tend to think some of the big ticket policy proposals like raising taxes on the wealthy, student debt cancellation, breaking up corporations are too abstract to really hurt democrats. Maybe even the green new deal or abolishing private health insurance will be dismissed as political rhetoric that will never happen.

But, I do think on the fraught emotionally charged issues like immigrantion democrats risk doing real damage by going to far to the left. They seem to have dropped all semblance of balance. It doesn't seem wrong to summarize the democratic concensus as: "please don't come in illegally, but if you do we promise not to deport you unless you are a serious criminal, we will give you drivers licenses, public healthcare, work permits, schooling and college tuition assistance for your children, and support an eventual path to citizenship for you".

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...andmine-227247

Last edited by jpdivola; 06-28-2019 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 11:18 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,168,534 times
Here's the problem that I see. The Democrats could conjure up the best politician on the planet but their platform is sooooooo comically bad it's embarrassing. I can't think of a better word than embarrassing. I've talked to many folks last few days and we all agree. Come on Dems, that's all you got?

Fact of the matter is they've veered too far left. These issues that they discuss are so radical they don't appear on the radar of your average citizen.

I almost feel sorry for them....almost. I'm not a huge Trump fan but given the choice of Trump or the Democratic platform, I'll pick Trump 8 days a week.

Again, this next election will boil down to Americans picking the lesser of two evils. If the Democrats think they can win with their platform, they are nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2019, 11:19 AM

7,083 posts, read 8,962,161 times
The democrats need someone who is a responsible adult and not the pack of sperglords making outrageous promises funded by other people’s money.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Who would ever vote for someone who would give free healthcare to illegals when we can’t afford to give it to our veterans.

Keep being outrageous, Trump needs the extra support right now.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:29 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usual points View Post
Ever since Donald Trump has become our President I hate him more each day. But after watching the two debates of the 20 Democratic Candidates running for President, I may have to vote for Donald Trump in 2020.

Why: The Democratic Party Candidates running today make George McGovern seem like Barry Goldwater. They are radicals and will turn the country into another Cuba. Open the border, free guaranteed income, raise taxes, social programs for everyone to get votes, excuse all student loans, Medicare For All, go easy on criminals, etc.

Would you consider voting for Donald Trump even if you normally vote Democratic because the current Democrats are too radical and liberal?
I repped your post because I appreciate the fact that even though you likely believe different than I do on many things, that you at least realize the radical nature of the Dem nominees.

Opposition parties are fine as long as we still realize we are on the same team and we want the best for each other even though there are different proposals on how to get there.

This current batch of Democrats are dangerous to the country's well being.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,168,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I repped your post because I appreciate the fact that even though you likely believe different than I do on many things, that you at least realize the radical nature of the Dem nominees.

Opposition parties are fine as long as we still realize we are on the same team and we want the best for each other even though there are different proposals on how to get there.

This current batch of Democrats are dangerous to the country's well being.

Very fair post. Using a golf analogy, if 100% of Americans tee off, 60% of them will land on the fairway. Sure some will be a bit left and some a bit right, but most are fairly center of the mark. These are people that work for a living, own a home, pay taxes etc. They are the meat and potatoes of America and they are the ones that will win you an election.

I think it's fair to say 20% will be to the right of the fairway and 20% will be to the left of the fairway with ball landing in the rough. They are your radical Dems and Republicans.

The biggest problem that I see is the Democrats are doing their best to placate their constituents that are over in the rough. They are way too spread out and their message doesn't resonate with those in the fairway and it's not a good strategy for winning POTUS.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:58 AM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Very fair post. Using a golf analogy, if 100% of Americans tee off, 60% of them will land on the fairway. Sure some will be a bit left and some a bit right, but most are fairly center of the mark. These are people that work for a living, own a home, pay taxes etc. They are the meat and potatoes of America and they are the ones that will win you an election.

I think it's fair to say 20% will be to the right of the fairway and 20% will be to the left of the fairway with ball landing in the rough. They are your radical Dems and Republicans.

The biggest problem that I see is the Democrats are doing their best to placate their constituents that are over in the rough. They are way too spread out and their message doesn't resonate with those in the fairway and it's not a good strategy for winning POTUS.
Plus the viscous attack on Biden (who has served this country for decades) by Harris, a junior senator. They are doing themselves in..

Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,887,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post

What has Trump done to appeal to the center? Every one of his little rallies is aimed at his core base on the right fringe, and to no others. His numbers are permanently stuck at his base of around 40 percent. In two years he hasn't moved the needle at all, hasn't expanded his base in the slightest.

That suggests that his message and his leadership isn't resonating with the middle. And that would seem like it's not a winning strategy for reelection.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,624,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Plus the viscous attack on Biden (who has served this country for decades) by Harris, a junior senator. They are doing themselves in..
strangely, harris is getting all kinds of props for doing that. it was pretty low of her.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:12 PM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
strangely, harris is getting all kinds of props for doing that. it was pretty low of her.
The news media clearly want a liberal. Remains to be seen what the public will think. They may see it for what it was: a viscious, likely planned attack by a junior senator on a respected party elder who has served this country for many decades.

Last edited by Lizap; 06-28-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 02:03 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,096,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What has Trump done to appeal to the center? Every one of his little rallies is aimed at his core base on the right fringe, and to no others. His numbers are permanently stuck at his base of around 40 percent. In two years he hasn't moved the needle at all, hasn't expanded his base in the slightest.

That suggests that his message and his leadership isn't resonating with the middle. And that would seem like it's not a winning strategy for reelection.
From the left rough that you are in, the people on the right side of the fairway appear to be in the right rough. They may not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections