Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I think they should just stick to wearing pretty clothes on the runway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Man, I was hoping the thread title was referring to some sexy lady model who predicted that Trump will lose the re-election.
Melania.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Am I the only one who thought this thread was about a fashion model’s prediction?

So the model that accurately predicted the blue wave in the house 4 months before the 2018 midterms now projects a Trump Electorial College loss 16 months before the election.

It’s tough to fill the 24/7 news cycle.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
You really need to get out more.
No, what he said is probably true. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is correct, but it reflects that in our lives we have as a country largely self-segregated ourselves into red and blue enclaves and that we seldom have contact with large numbers of people that disagree with us. It’s a topic that former newspaper columnist Bill Bishop explored in “The Big Sort:Why The Clustering of Like Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart”.

Quote:
In 2004, journalist Bill Bishop coined the term "the big sort." Armed with startling new demographic data, he made national news in a series of articles showing how Americans have been sorting themselves into alarmingly homogeneous communities -- not by region or by state, but by city and even neighborhood. Over the past three decades, we have been choosing the neighborhood (and church and news show) compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. The result is a country that has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred that people don't know and can't understand those who live a few miles away. How this came to be, and its dire implications for our country, is the subject of this ground-breaking work.

In The Big Sort, Bishop has taken his analysis to a new level. He begins with stories about how we live today and then draws on history, economics and our changing political landscape to create one of the most compelling big-picture accounts of America in recent memory.”
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Sort-Clus...s%2C144&sr=8-1

Last edited by Bureaucat; 07-02-2019 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Rachel Dolezal? Is that you?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
No, what he said is probably true. It doesn’t necessarily mean it is correct, but it reflects that in our lives we have as a country largely self-segregated ourselves into red and blue enclaves and that we seldom have contact with large numbers of people that disagree with us. It’s a topic that former newspaper columnist Bill Bishop explored in “The Big Sort:Why The Clustering of Like Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart”.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Sort-Clus...s%2C144&sr=8-1
Yeah sorry, this idea that we "don't know and can't understand those who live a few miles from us" is BS. That may be for the people on the left, only because they'be been so successful in getting conservatives among them to hide their sociopolitical viewpoints they've practically had to go into hiding like modern-day Marranos. If conservatives dare to share their viewpoints in most settings today they face social scorn, they jeopardize longstanding friendships, and they could suffer professional repercussions.

So conservatives keep their mouths shut to get along, the left thinks their viewpoints are far more predominant than they really are, and then they wake up on November 9th 2016 absolutely stunned that Donald Trump won the election. That's because the ballot box is the one place left where they can't brow-beat conservatives into keeping their opinions to themselves.

The right perfectly understands the left because the left controls virtually all of the cultural and intellectual (I use that word advisedly) institutions, and have made significant inroads into corporate boards, marketing/ad agencies, and HR departments -- we are verily immersed in the messages and social clout of the left. Leftists on the other hand have to go out of their way to hear arguments from the right any more in-depth than glib memes posted on social media.

Last edited by Bitey; 07-02-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
4 years ago, this same outfit predicted that Jeb Bush would be the next President.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Time will tell of course but it's interesting nonetheless. The model that predicted the Democratic takeover of the House is predicting Trump will lose reelection in 2020. They predict he will not get Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan this time. It's just a model, one of many, but they were surprisingly accurate in November.

Something they are saying is something I've been noticing. It doesn't matter who the Democratic candidate is. Most everyone I know is planning to vote for the Democratic candidate no matter who it is.

"She acknowledged the Democratic candidate has not been chosen yet, but argued it is not incredibly important who the nominee is."

Trump predicted to lose reelection in model that forecasted Democratic takeover of House

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...em-takeover-of
Recycle the 2016 model, what's wrong with it ?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If conservatives dare to share their viewpoints in most settings today they face social scorn, they jeopardize longstanding friendships, and they could suffer professional repercussions.
Seriously? I've lost many friends because I DON'T support Trump. I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:14 PM

662 posts, read 313,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Something they are saying is something I've been noticing. It doesn't matter who the Democratic candidate is. Most everyone I know is planning to vote for the Democratic candidate no matter who it is.
I've never voted for a Democrat for president only R's from 1996-2004 and Libertarians in 2008, 2012, and 2016, but will vote for any of them against Trump. I'm not excited about any of the Dem candidates, but will still gladly vote for them against Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections