Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 07:11 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

He might endorse klobberchar. But I agree that he should endorse Mayor Pete. I’ll vote for him if the primary is relevant by the time it gets to my state.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:55 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Minor correction Waldo, Bernie won Iowa. Both popular vote and SDEs, once the outstanding publicly known errors are corrected.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
Are they Puerto Rican or Mexican descent Latinos? They have differing views (or vote differently) than the Cuban descent Latinos in South Florida. I don't think it determines the results of elections, either, but illegal immigration affects Latinos more than it does for other bloc of voters.
Well, we agree that this "bloc of voters" shtick is worth little more than grain of salt; I know of no actual electoral constituency "Latino" or any other particular "social" group where a "group" or "bloc" vote has any legal standing. What count are individual votes at different constituency levels: board of education, water district, municipality, county, state, federal, etc. from time to time.

If anyone knows of a specific constituency called "Latino" or "identity politics" or "bloc of voters" or "social group of voters", please point to it on a constituency map at any one or all of the above-mentioned levels.

I never saw one, did you?

Just for example, in my State House district, largely Cuban-American, the winner was a person of Greek-American descent, doesn't speak a lick of Spanish and he is very knowledgeable about educational and to some extent environmental issues, and he beat some guy who has tried unsuccessfully about three times for that seat. It doesn't matter what party either one is from. Voters simply decided that this three-time loser is a loser and to give a new guy a chance. In my US House of Representative district, the previous incumbent, Cuban-American, served decades, the most common-sense independent-thinking representative one can realistically hope to have; sadly she retired and cannot be replaced. The "replacement" from her so-called party is a ditz and she lost to a Lebanese-American who cannot speak a lick of Spanish.

In any case, Puerto Ricans are not illegals. The ruling class on that island is brazenly and disgustingly corrupt, with enough corroborators in Congress to keep them afloat, but Puerto Ricans themselves are not illegals.

Yes, southern Florida, and most so-called Latinos whom I know are, yes, Cubans, Argentinians, Venezuelans, Colombians, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Chileans, Bolivians, Dominicans. Most of the illegals here are from Central America, it seems, or many are simply "visitors" who overstay their visas. It is not easy to arrive in southern Florida by land, very few Mexicans. I see a lot of Haitians, most or all here legally, with successful small businesses or successful careers in health care, education, information technology, aviation, and other fields; I've known or know a few personally, classy people and highly respected.

Anyway, back on topic: my gut feeling is that an Obama endorsement of Mr Pete would backfire, while such an endorsement of Ms Klobuchar at just the right time could help a little.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
I tend to agree that Obama/Biden would want Klobuchar over Pete if Biden can't make it through.

She is more in favor of keeping Obama's legacy, while Pete is somewhat trying to play the role of all years of previous administrations were bad - attracting the voter that didn't like Obama, than just moderate. Plus she is a more senior and known in profile, and a Senator, and never supported Medicare For All, which is a repeal/replace of Obamacare.

The issue with Klobuchar is a number of Black voters don't want her, thus leaving Obama at odds with Black people that like him.

The DNC/Establishment also likes Bloomberg. In the end of the day, they like $$$

Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
A Barack endorsement is the "kiss of death" to any campaign. He always backs the loser.
Right, like when he backed himself twice and won.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
I tend to agree that Obama/Biden would want Klobuchar over Pete if Biden can't make it through. ....
Biden is crazy.

But Obama would see the wisdom of getting behind an outsider instead of yet another Senator who has no legislative accomplishments to her name.

And...... No senator who voted for the impeachment has ANY hope of winning back voters from Trump. It was that bad for them.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Sounds like someone sees Bloomberg as the biggest threat to Trump, which explains the dozen or so pathetically transparent anti-Bloomberg, pro-Buttegieg threads today.
where is Bloomberg, will he ever appear in public? or just on TV ads?

Old 02-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The DNC/Establishment also likes Bloomberg. In the end of the day, they like $$$
The establishment party member Democrat does not. There won't be any lack of money for the Democrat nominee so it really isn't an issue.

I'm willing to bet the Super Delegates absolutely won't back someone who skipped all the early primaries, was afraid to get onto the debate stage, and who didn't play by the rules and instead simply threw money at it. They won't let that happen to their nominating process. That's going to threaten the positions of a lot of establishment Democrats in the party and they will be loath to get behind Bloomberg. i.e. They paid their dues, he didn't.

Unless Bloomberg comes out in a very overwhelming manner, he won't be the nominee. But it's clear that he's going to be the one who finishes off Biden. Because every single advert he runs right not hurts Biden far far more than Trump.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
If Biden does poorly in South Carolina, he will be finished even before Bloomberg's impact on Super Tuesday.

I think the other billionaire, Tom Steyer. also could play a part in Biden's fall. Steyer is actively buying ads in South Carolina unlike Bloomberg.

His effect will be siphoning some votes from Biden, which results in Sanders moving through. He is not for Sanders' Medicare For All, but agrees with him on environment and other issues, and is basically helping Sanders more than anything with his money he is spending on his campaign.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 AM

BTW, Bloomberg's gambit is the same sort of one that Guiliani tried in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections