Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:37 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Because Trump is better than Biden or and anyone else the democrats have to offer. Change my mind.
I mean, if you actually believe that, I don't think reason is going to change your mind. Trump validates his supporters' insecurities, their irrational fears, their bigotry, and wraps it all up in finger pointing at others. It's true that Biden can't give you that, and that's exactly why he's so much better. Granted, Trump has set such a low bar, virtually anyone else would be. The man spent half an hour at his joke Tulsa rally trying to prove he could live a water glass with one hand and navigate a ramp. If he weren't such a dangerously evil and incompetent man whose failed leadership wasn't killing tens of thousands, it would be a pathetic spectacle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:23 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Very few of them REALLY believe Trump is positioning himself for a re-election. He is making no effort whatsoever to broaden his base to secure the votes he needs. He barely squeaked out an electoral college win in 2016.

What they are counting on is Trump stealing the election if he loses. There will be claims of election tampering and appeals to the courts and rallies by the Hawaiian shirt crowd to roust the militias and raise the Stars and Bars.

Trump will never prevail but there is little doubt he will destroy as much as he can on his way out. This is his nature.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:28 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Trump had a historically low crisis bounce, and it faded rapidly. Bush had 90% approval after 9/11. Trump barely managed a few points above 50% on that one issue.
The difference is easy to see.

So Bush made one blunder early on with 9/11. He kept reading to those kids for 5-10 extra minutes. Maybe he didn't understand the seriousness of what was going on. To be fair, in those 5-10 minutes, the only lives that COULD have been saved were some in the Pentagon. The WTC lives were already doomed, same with those on the plane that crashed in PA. However, he grabbed the crisis with both hands and did everything in his power to do something about it.

He didn't spend every day on a "woe is me" explanation. He didn't deny the seriousness of what happened. He made some good choices early on. He didn't stand in the way of other government agencies from doing what they could do further mitigate damage and help with recovery.

Whereas Trump denied the problem for about 2 months. Then took ownership, then realized taking ownership hurt his re-election chances and ditched that strategy.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I have yet to see any politician who's running for re-election who did not think they were going to win.

If those thoughts are harbored, the politician retires and drops out.

I've yet to see any politician who is running who didn't have a base of support. Those voters will vote for no one else, period.

So, all things considered, I'm sure Trump and his team all understand he's struggling right now, but they are very far from tossing in the towel. Presidents who are running for a second term simply do not ever do that. They are always in it all the way from beginning to end.

There was a time in 2016 I was sure Trump could possibly resign when things got too hot for him, but by late 2017, I dropped that belief.

Only one President has ever resigned the office, and that guy was facing certain impeachment and criminal prosecution. Trump has never gotten anywhere that close to conditions that brought the resignation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections