Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,107,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
If you have seen the polls most people do not think that the gas tax should be lifted for any period of time. Therefore this is good for Obama. However there is a difference between McCains plan and Clintons. McCains just wants it done and the government to eat it. Hillary wants the Oil Companies to pay for it. I was against both plans until today when I saw that Exxon Mobiles profit for the last quarter was 10.7 Billion Dollars. I think that they should pay for it for a little while. Why not? Why am I paying all this to the gas companies and they are making huge amounts of money. I am not saying that they should not make a profit. That much is too much.
A couple of things. Exxon/Mobil profit as a percentage of revenues is less then a number of other companies including Microsoft. Does that mean the price of Xbox 360 should be lowered. Exxon deals in a very large amounts of money so their profits have to be seen in that context. Gas stations deal in large volumes of dollars in per day but their profit margins for gas are not that great. You need to look at the dividend per share in relationship to the price of the stock to measure how excessive profits may be. Do you really want to reduce the profits pension and 401 funds are making from their holdings in Exxon/Mobil? What about us retired folk? Exxon is just one big family of stock investors. Some of us are large holders, some of us are small and some of us are institutional. We are your neighbors, your children and your parents. Exxon Mobil Corporation Announces Estimated First Quarter 2008 Results (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/exxonmobil/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&ndmConfigId=1001106& newsId=20080501005652&newsLang=en - broken link)

I will allow you to do the analysis yourself. Please enjoy and hopefully others will read the link and be able to make informed decisions about the candidates positions.
Obama has a new
TV spot airing in North Carolina that capitalizes on the mistake McCain and Clinton made with their idea. I wouldn't slam oil companies any more then oil producers. There is a big market for their product and it is obvious that demand is not going to abate with our current leadership in Congress and the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,218,911 times
If you happen to be an independent truck driver, that pays $1,000.00 to fill up their tank, this would help them.
I remember the trucker strike back in the 1970's and it was hard
not many folks seem to think about them
if they shut down for a week it would have a huge impact.
They are making no money.
We used to only be able to buy gas every other day, let's bring back those days.
We sat in lines for an hour sometimes
if you want to ***** at someone, then ***** at George Bush for sitting on a stock pile
of gas he could open up on the market and the prices would fall.
Our stock pile is at 97%.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,107,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
If you happen to be an independent truck driver, that pays $1,000.00 to fill up their tank, this would help them.
I remember the trucker strike back in the 1970's and it was hard
not many folks seem to think about them
if they shut down for a week it would have a huge impact.
They are making no money.
We used to only be able to buy gas every other day, let's bring back those days.
We sat in lines for an hour sometimes
if you want to ***** at someone, then ***** at George Bush for sitting on a stock pile
of gas he could open up on the market and the prices would fall.
Our stock pile is at 97%.
The strategic reserve is in case of emergency and interruption in the supply of oil. Not as a price protection policy. If we begin to use that to manipulate the market, the producing nations can(probably would) cut back on production to bring supply and demand back in line. The worlds problem with energy cost is a result of poor fiscal policy in the United States. You can attribute at least $15 per barrel of cost to the decline of the dollar and the subprime mess. The fed reduces interest rates and speculators run to commodities for investments etc. Just like shopping in Europe becomes more expensive if you are spending dollars so does oil because it is still sold based on the dollar. If the oil producers flee from using the dollar and nations stop using it as the medium of exchange then you will see problems in the United States. The question is if the inflation we are seeing is cost/push, demand/pull or a new form of price pressures. That will require intelligent leadership in the White House and Congress to evaluate and work with. In order to get that we must have an intelligent electorate that really understands the issues and then uses gray matter to evaluate. I am worried.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM

207 posts, read 705,865 times
It's so nice to read a board with content about an actual issue. Thank you OP.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:53 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,739,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The strategic reserve is in case of emergency and interruption in the supply of oil. Not as a price protection policy. If we begin to use that to manipulate the market, the producing nations can(probably would) cut back on production to bring supply and demand back in line. The worlds problem with energy cost is a result of poor fiscal policy in the United States. You can attribute at least $15 per barrel of cost to the decline of the dollar and the subprime mess. The fed reduces interest rates and speculators run to commodities for investments etc. Just like shopping in Europe becomes more expensive if you are spending dollars so does oil because it is still sold based on the dollar. If the oil producers flee from using the dollar and nations stop using it as the medium of exchange then you will see problems in the United States. The question is if the inflation we are seeing is cost/push, demand/pull or a new form of price pressures. That will require intelligent leadership in the White House and Congress to evaluate and work with. In order to get that we must have an intelligent electorate that really understands the issues and then uses gray matter to evaluate. I am worried.
Good post. The economics of energy production is very complex. It is incumbent upon the president, Congress and the oil companies to explain it to the American people. But that won't happen. The politicians want us ignorant so that they can use the issue to manipulate us for their own political purposes and the oil companies have no interest in revealing the inner workings of the industry even though that opens them up to demonization by the politicians. I'm worried, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections