Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You or anyone you know change preference from 2016 to 2020?
In 2016 I voted Clinton but in 2020 am switching to Donald Trump 13 25.00%
In 2016 I voted Donald Trump but in 2020 am switching to Biden 2 3.85%
My 2016 preference remains the same in 2020 37 71.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 06:18 AM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times

Advertisements

If this poll is anywhere near accurate on a national scale, its 4 more years for Trump.

Of course, there are more Reds than Blue's on this forum, so that would needto be factored in. I dont think there are 4x more Reds than Blue's though....maybe 2x.

I think Dems stay home rather than voting for the other side. Look at the turnout for Obama vs. Clinton. I don't see Biden as any better than Clinton, so Democrat turnout will likely suffer again like in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 01:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Hispanic is a category in the poll, regardless of exactly how it is characterized. They are considered as one voting block and the reason must be they correlate to some set values and self=interest. They are also mostly catholic and religious.
Yes, but be careful with that. Latin American Catholicism is not exactly the same as in the US. In Mexico, for example, almost everyone is a practicing Catholic, but they also tend to adhere and support a strict separation of religion and politics. They generally distrust politicians who thrown around their religious convictions as a qualification for government. Mexico has had a pretty horrific past concerning the Church and government, as has much of Latin America, so that distrust makes perfect sense. They're not necessarily looking for the best Christian for office, they want the best possible leader with more policy ideas that will help their communities. This is probably why they're mostly Democrats. Republicans are all about that fake Christian pandering stuff.

Old 08-30-2020, 01:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
In 2016, I voted for Clinton. In March, I was planning to vote for Biden. I was okay with closing down for a few weeks to "flatten the curve". Those lockdowns kept being extended again and again and while the rest of the U.S. was opening up, my region still was restricted to essential businesses and only allowed to mingle with people from your own household (and if you lived alone, you were restricted to only socializing online). Then the riots started and all of a sudden, the powers that be, including our own governor and the national media, not only said it was okay to protest but actually endorsed the protests, even when they turned into riots with looting, burning, and shooting. They said that protesting "social justice" trumps (pun intended) the need to social distance and stay safer at home. They did absolutely nothing as the cities burned and all those busineses that were on Covid lockdown, were burned and looted to the ground. A few weeks after the protest, the cases spiked and instead of blaming it on the protests, the democrats blamed the spikes on 1) businesses opening up to soon and 2) people illegally socializing with people outside their household and told us we needed to go back to more Covid restrictions. My area was still on pretty strict lockdown (only essential businesses) and our local health officer was campaigning on social media about the dangers of gathering with friends without saying a single word about the riots. After seeing Kamala Harris endorse the so called protests and telling people they aren't going to ever stop and Biden telling everyone that he'd shut America down again (which implies law abiding citizens would be on house arrest until the virus is gone while Antifa and BLM will get free reign to riot and destroy everything in site and then when the cases keep going up, the media will blame it on people who violate stay at home orders to go to the beach and deny the protesters had anything to do with). I am not a big fan of Trump and think he acts undignified and has a crass mouth but he's the far better alternative to the new left. At least he'd want to give us our law abiding people (of all colors) our freedom back while ending the riots. I will vote for Trump based on all the events of the past 4 months.
First of all, the restrictions kept going because the virus did. It wasn't a conspiracy to inconvenience your life.
Second, the protests were outside and almost everyone was wearing a mask. Whether you support the protests or not, what we know about how Covid spreads indicates that outdoors with masks is generally pretty safe. Most of the spread has been from intimate settings, like restaurants, bars, churches, work places and home parties. There was no contradiction on needing to shut down those places, but being okay with protests. The risk factor was not even close. And we didn't end up seeing a surge from them. The second surge was traced back to reopening places like bars and restaurants too early and without adequate safety guidelines. Now we're rapidly approaching 200,000 dead.

Third, if you want to be angry at someone regarding the virus and everything that happened, you should be angry with Trump. Studies have shown that if his administration had acted just a few weeks earlier, upwards of 90% of the deaths wouldn't have occurred and the economy would not have been nearly affected the way it has. He twiddled his thumbs and mocked the threat until it was nationwide and ravaging every state. And if you think Democratic governors are responsible, explain Florida and Texas, or any number of conservative states with high cases and deaths relative to their populations.

But yeah, the fact that 7 months into this, we're still not able to do everything and open everything sucks. It's too bad Trump couldn't get his crap together to be a better leader on that. The US had a literal pandemic book ready to go and they didn't use it.

I'd still like to know which cities have been burned down? Some individual buildings, sure, and additional property damage, but such consequences are pretty typical in these types of situations. The fact that conservatives don't seem interested in really addressing why they happen instead of just being angry that they're happening at all, is telling. Almost no one supports looting, rioting or violence, right or left, but this is also an issue that is not specifically related to any partisan politics. And Biden has repeatedly condemned riots and looting, and has rejected calls to "defund the police", even though that literally never meant getting rid of the police altogether.

Harris endorsed peaceful protests. Protest are not the same as looting and rioting. This shouldn't need to be repeated so often. And even at their most strict, no one was on anything resembling "house arrest". That really only happened in a few places, and none of them in the US. People were still free to take walks, go to the grocery store, etc. Biden has only suggested a national lockdown if the virus got much worse, and only to ensure that there is time to get adequate testing and contact tracing in place, something that was never done by Trump during the last lockdowns and why we're still in this whole mess. But even if that happened temporarily, it's ridiculous to suggest that people would be forced into their homes and not allowed to ever leave them. That would never happen. This whole thing is about getting the virus under control. Every other nation has learned that the only way to save the economy is to get the spread managed. Maybe you're fine with hundreds of thousands dead because of inaction at the top, or that they're a reasonable sacrifice so you can have dinner at Applebee's, but as someone who has lost family to this nightmare, nothing is going to be fixed, no "freedoms" are going to be protected by re-electing Trump.

Trump is the reason no Americans have normal lives right now. He is the reason the virus is still raging. He is the reason partisan divide is arguably the worst since the Civil War. He is the reason we can't watch sports, have dinners, see friends or travel anywhere. Our passports are almost useless. Any other president would've been on prime time television calling for calm regarding the civil unrest, and proposing new policy. And it would have worked. Instead, the man is out golfing, giving self-congratulatory speeches and overseeing one of the most corrupt administrations in American history.

So no, voting for Trump won't restore your freedoms. What might happen, however, is there will no longer be an American democracy. I can't think of a bigger freedom than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections