Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:02 PM

236 posts, read 615,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
And my parents would believe your sentiments to be inconsistent with their view of the country.

Of coarse they will.Actual facts don't sink in with some people,especially patriotic bigots.

''see no evil....''

Old 05-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
You read about Roosevelt or Truman, my dad discusses their actions and decisions in significant detail.

They were both racists.Elanor Rooselvelt had more humanity in her thumb than her husband did in his entire body.Hes just where he should be...rotting in a box.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I don't think any serious scholar of history disputes that 9/11 was an offshoot of other people not liking our foreign policies. After all, the attackers themselves said they attacked the US because they didn't like US foreign policies, that's why they attacked. So there's really not much to disagree about here. Why anyone would be repelled by Rev Wright for merely stating a fact is inexplicable. It's like a patient being repelled by the doctor who tells him that he has cancer.

Rev. Wright never said that the attack on the US was justified. He said that he understood why the attackers would undertake such an attack, but he never advocated that the attack be committed. That's a fine distinction that many people (including your parents) appear to have missed.

On the HIV claim, there is some historical basis for Wright's paranoia. The infamous Tuskegee experiments which was carried out by the US government over 50 years involved the deliberate withdrawal of treatment of blacks who contracted syphilis, allowing the disease to run its natural course and kill blacks. The Tuskegee experiments actually happened. It's not a conspiracy theory that Wright cooked up.
Quote:
My dad reads the West Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale papers from end to end every day. He also watches MSNBC and CNN for at least three hours a day. He is very well versed on political issues, and though we have our disagreements on some of the more significant issues, he certainly is articulate in discussing pros, cons and risks.

You can be informed, intelligent and an independent critical thinker and disagree with much of what Wright states. To lose my parents is really something, they are pretty solid Democrats.
So are your parents aware of the Tuskegee Experiment? I doubt it.

It is very understandable why your parents might have been "turned off" by Rev. Wright. The irony is that Hagee, who has endorsed McCain, has said worse things than Wright, yet they see no problem in supporting him...could it be that Hagee hasn't been plastered all over the news the past few weeks as Wright has?

In the end, Wright is not Obama and vice versa.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

It is very understandable why your parents might have been "turned off" by Rev. Wright. The irony is that Hagee, who has endorsed McCain, has said worse things than Wright, yet they see no problem in supporting him...could it be that Hagee hasn't been plastered all over the news the past few weeks as Wright has?
Or could it be that Hagee is white.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,093 times
The Tuskegee Experiments:

Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could see why someone like Wright would be so outraged with what has been done to his people that he would be moved to deliver sermons that scandalize those who are ignorant of history. As a white male, I am not offended by Wright's sermons. I am more offended by those who feel they are offended when someone merely shows them the historical truth. Yes the truth hurts. But as adults, we have to face it.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post
Of coarse they will.Actual facts don't sink in with some people,especially patriotic bigots.

''see no evil....''
I don't see your approach to elections as expanding your support base. I have found those who disagree with me frequently have well grounded understanding of issues, and sometimes can provide new insights.

Hope you don't work in a sales oriented job compensated via commissions.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioninaconcretejungle View Post

''see no evil....''
What does calling someone's parents, who disagree with your view, patriotic bigots do to further your cause. People like you are really sad!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I don't see your approach to elections as expanding your support base. I have found those who disagree with me frequently have well grounded understanding of issues, and sometimes can provide new insights.

Hope you don't work in a sales oriented job compensated via commissions.

New insight and information does not seem to effect some peoples ignorant, biased opinions.There are tons of these types of individuals on this site, my intent is not to change the minds of those who won't change no matter what,but merely to statemy opinion.WHich is what forums are for.

I don't get your second comment,just as I don't get you and your parents total ignorance of reality.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
What does calling someone's parents, who disagree with your view, patriotic bigots do to further your cause. People like you are really sad!

As stated above,my intent is not to further my ''cause''.People like you,and this guys parents,are really sad!Just ignore reality and get offended by those who speak fact.People like this are seemingly immune to facts.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

In the end, Wright is not Obama and vice versa.
They will never believe, nor will I, that HIV was created to damage minorities.

If Hagee had been the leader of a church McCain regularly attended they would just sit out this election. It is the linkage that creates the problem, if Obama only had Wright's endorsement (as opposed to regularly attending his church) they wouldn't have cared about his personal sentiments. However, the relationship is far closer than an endorsement:

lgf: Video: Obama Lavishes Praise on Rev. Jeremiah Wright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections