Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,018,561 times

Advertisements

Wow...now my thread is talking about cats, and relationships!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,746,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Wow...now my thread is talking about cats, and relationships!
Altered universe. We are on the Lifetime Channel . . .

Okay. Back to Hillary and McCain.

A lot of women over 50 like Hillary, and not so much for her stances on policy issues but b/c she is a woman over 50, LOL, and b/c she is tough and b/c she wrote "It Takes a Village," and they identify w/ that philosophy. Obama may come across as too inexperienced and too liberal . . . and so this group of voters would feel more comfortable w/ a moderate Republican who they feel is "older and wiser" than Obama.

At least, that is what some of my friends have said to me - why they support Hillary but won't be voting for Obama if he gets the nod.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,074,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Just having GW Bush leave the White House will bring change. I'm not a doom and gloom person. And I find Hillary's message realistic and grounded. Obama's message is too much rainbows and sunshine. Obama would make a great spiritual leader, but he is not what I want inour POTUS.
The President's job is to set boundaries, broad guidelines, and set the overall tone for the national agenda, it is Congress job to figure out specifics. In this regard, I find Obama perfectly capable and suitable to be President of the United States.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,951,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
The President's job is to set boundaries, broad guidelines, and set the overall tone for the national agenda, it is Congress job to figure out specifics. In this regard, I find Obama perfectly capable and suitable to be President of the United States.
You have stated what I have previously but in a different way. The President is the leader but in actuality the Congress runs the show. It is the Congress that people should concentrate on and I might add worry about.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,659,211 times
Default One minor quibble

Quote:
As for Michelle, to be perfectly honest, I have not paid much attention to her. After all, she is not running! With that said, I have looked at her resume and it is pretty impressive. No doubt she is pretty smart... As for her "proud to be an American" comment, I really feel this was the media's attempt to destroy her. Here is why:

This is how most news organizations quoted her:
“People in this country are ready for change and hungry for a different kind of politics and … for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.â€
Michelle Obama Takes Heat for Saying She’s ‘Proud of My Country’ for the First Time - America’s Election HQ

Now that was NOT really what she said and most importantly what she meant...this is a speech she gave more than once.
What she really meant was “for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.â€

Now if you put a heavy accent on the word REALLY as if you have always been proud but now you are REALLY proud, it does makes a difference. (At least to me)

The media had done everything to remove the word really from her comments but it was really there. Take a look at this video...when she says "really" you can see the splice!

YouTube - Michelle Obama: First Time proud of USA

And now to see both times she gave the speech, you will notice the missing word "really"

YouTube - Michelle Obama "Proud" vs "Really Proud"

It is these kinds of facts that are never given out on the pro Hillary blogs....but I think if you are considering Obama and Michelle bothers you, you should know this.
I don't think it was the media's attempt to destroy her as much as it was the media's plan to create attention and hype up a story that has no merit at all. "Hey, let's try to stir up controversy as much as we can!"

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,465,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There is nothing to call me out on. I... racist-revealing rant...blah, blah, blah,... So if any stranger walks up to me and says, hey you sexy thang... I'm just going to walk quickly away from him.
I don't believe you, miu. You are quite transparent and the reason that you and those like you would vote for McSame instead of Obama is because you have an unreasonable disdain for black people, or think all black people are ghetto, or have some sick sense of false superiority when it comes to black people, or refuse to see any good in black people, or make collosal, incorrect judgments about black people from a distance. SHAME ON YOU!

You need to understand that no black man could ever get to where Obama is by being who you think he is. Quite the opposite in fact. Quite incredible that you don't want to acknowledge this. Quite revealing too, so rant on in denial. This country must move forward and transcend people like you. This is what Obama represents.

I don't mean to harp on this, but you would vote for McSame because he isn't the black candidate REGARDLESS OF WHAT HE REPRESENTS. This is clear. This aligns you with some of the most repulsive, most barbaric, prehistoric-minded neanderthals in this country: the klan (supporters of McSame I might add)

Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,746,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You have stated what I have previously but in a different way. The President is the leader but in actuality the Congress runs the show. It is the Congress that people should concentrate on and I might add worry about.
Yep. Congress comes up w/ the legislation. All a Prez can do is try to get someone to move legislation along - and veto it or sign it. Congress is where the action is. And man - have we had a Do Nothing Congress for years now. Neither party has done a thing but sit on his/her collective haunches and have hearings for such ignorant stuff as steroid use amongst baseball players.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,412,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Cats? What on Earth do "cats" have to do with anything? If you must know, I have four dogs. All rescued, three very large. One is being trained to be my service dog. They're quite handy for keeping Obama supporters and other unwelcome visitors bearing pamphlets away from my door.
Just wanted to see if you'd actually read my post! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Altered universe. We are on the Lifetime Channel . . .

Okay. Back to Hillary and McCain.

A lot of women over 50 like Hillary, and not so much for her stances on policy issues but b/c she is a woman over 50, LOL, and b/c she is tough and b/c she wrote "It Takes a Village," and they identify w/ that philosophy. Obama may come across as too inexperienced and too liberal . . . and so this group of voters would feel more comfortable w/ a moderate Republican who they feel is "older and wiser" than Obama.

At least, that is what some of my friends have said to me - why they support Hillary but won't be voting for Obama if he gets the nod.
Honestly anifani I think this is an "excuse" used by women over 50. Hillary is as Liberal as Obama...there is very little difference in their stances. Her Moderate mode is a PR move only to fool people. I actually believe Hillary voted for the Iraq War as a political move that has come back to bite her in the arse! She's always thought two steps ahead. Much of her newly promoted Republicaness stances are ALL political moves that aren't working.

I just feel sorry for the poor, literally and figuratively, souls who are still blindly giving her campaign money for what has been known to the rest of us, for awhile now, as a lost cause.

McSame does NOT represent the modern woman nor a progressive society, and sadly, neither does Hillary.

Goodbye Hillbilly McClinton, and good riddance!

Last edited by Jaded; 05-09-2008 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: corrected sentence

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,431,765 times
Quote:
Here it is again and the reason I started this thread. If you like Hillary and where she stands on the issues, why would you vote McCain?
If that "scary attitude" from someone you don't really know posting on this stupid forum means more to you than Iraq or the Economy, I really have to say you should not be voting.
I agree. I don't know how many times I've seen "and it's posts like yours that confirm I voted for the right person" Some of the people on this forum have far more than illustrated that they can't think for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I'll be honest. I'm struggling to get past my Obama-phobia. It's not b/c he's black. I really like Hillary and think she would make a great POTUS. Maybe it is a little of the having a woman finally make it to the White House as more than an accessory to her husband. I don't like McCain as a candidate. Seems like a nice enough guy but I don't mesh with the Republican stances on most issues. I have actually stopped reading as much on this forum b/c I think some of the nastier Obama supporters have put a bad taste in my mouth and I don't want to put up with that for 4 years (I refuse to put 8 b/c no one knows where we'll be in 4 let alone 8 years politically). I've been reading more on him and trying to be open minded about it. Hillary is done. I know there are many of her supporters here who refuse to accept it but I have. I will probably have to get over it and vote for him in November b/c I don't want another Bush in office. I will say I do not like his wife at all and do not feel she will represent us well as First Lady and I stand by that statement. But she is not running so I'll overlook her as much as possible. If he picks a good VP and starts talking about real issues and not all the hope and change crap, I might can warm up to voting for him before November rolls around.
Yours is a post I can understand because you actually explained yourself. From what I've heard, read and seen of the debates Clinton and Barack agree on many issues while McCain is almost the opposite of both. So I don't understand why they would vote from him either unless they feel that if McCain makes the country any worse it will be easier for Clinton to win in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, to me, your points just don't make sense, I'm shaking my head as I read which means we have a fundamental difference of opinion and outlook on this one. Fair enough.
Her posts never make sense nore can she ever provide proof on this issues that she's always talking about. She's supporting Clinton because everybody else is. And if she doesn't get the nomination, she'll vote for McCain not because she belives in him or any of his issues but because her candidate lost and she doesn't want her opponent to win. Basic 1st grade politics.

Last edited by nat_at772; 05-09-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM

145 posts, read 436,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I support Hillary Clinton

I know many Hillary Clinton supporters who will vote for McCain in the general election if Obama gets the nominee because they believe he should have more experience... and McCain may be able to lead this country safe, not getting tooken advantage of due to lack of experience/ leadership. Although they are still thinking....
Besides that I'm looking at who's going to be the democratic nominee... and with that said I support Hillary Clinton and hope she will be able to overcome Barack Obama's lead
You know if this were any other job and we discounted a younger employee because of their age and inexperience - the media would have a field day. Just because McCain is older and has been doing it longer doesn't mean he can do it better. People need to look at his history, and the things he's voted for and against and see how they align with your beliefs/wants/needs.

I am a Hillary supporter but aside from that I am a Democrat and come Nov. I will vote for the Democratic nominee. Yes Obama is promising change - but I'm up for a little change - the only thing that would be worse then taking a chance on change and failing is to do nothing and keep walking this downward slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections