Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM

690 posts, read 1,016,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
By the way...

"A Perfect Union" -- was that the speech given a few years ago at the Democratic Convention? It was a very good speech.

However, speeches don't make a President. One can give fabulous speeches and be a lousy president. Obama gives some great speeches but a lot of them aren't his original words. They were written by other people.

You can argue that his speeches are all his own and I'd have to say: "So what?" Speeches don't make a good President.

But his speeches aren't all his own so I can't even give him kudos for that. He's a good speech reader? Does that make you feel better? He can handle the teleprompter well and perhaps he'd be good giving the 6 p.m. weather report?

Since he doesn't write all of his own speeches, it's a little hard to give him credit for all of them.

I think you need to read the rest of my posts in this thread and do a little research.
1, I never said he wrote all of his speeches. I said he wrote a Prefect Union speech

2, A Perfect Union was not given at the convention. It was the race speech after the Rev Wright thing

3, and I agree with you...being able to wright a good speech is not grounds for instantly being able to run a country. However is sure is refreshing after listening to Bush for the last 7 years!

4, Speeches are not what would get my vote. How a candidate stands on the issues is what should count. Believing the candidate is telling the truth should count. Wisdom and judgment should count. The ability to lead should count. How they run a multi million dollar campaign even counts in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,682,275 times
I support Hillary Clinton

I know many Hillary Clinton supporters who will vote for McCain in the general election if Obama gets the nominee because they believe he should have more experience... and McCain may be able to lead this country safe, not getting tooken advantage of due to lack of experience/ leadership. Although they are still thinking....
Besides that I'm looking at who's going to be the democratic nominee... and with that said I support Hillary Clinton and hope she will be able to overcome Barack Obama's lead

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post

I know many Hillary Clinton supporters who will vote for McCain in the general election if Obama gets the nominee because they believe he should have more experience... and McCain may be able to lead this country safe, not getting tooken advantage of due to lack of experience/ leadership. Although they are still thinking....
Besides that I'm looking at who's going to be the democratic nominee... and with that said I support Hillary Clinton and hope she will be able to overcome Barack Obama's lead

Finally someone with an answer! "More experience"

My question to you as a Hillary supporter, are you willing to go against what you believe in on the "big issues" like Iraq , the Economy, the tax credits and all the other things that McCain is exactly opposite on?
I myself just could not change they way I feel about these issues just because of experience...but that me I guess.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:09 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Well, I'm sorry miu but even though you say these things, I don't believe you. Similar to the way you don't believe Obama I guess. But I have learned a great deal about you from your posts.

About Colin Powell, the man didn't have the integrity and strength to stand up for himself when he was being used by Bush and his band of dimwits. He had a chance to redeem himself afterwards once he learned the truth, but he has sputtered out, a shell of his former self. What a flaw! Powell is a shadow and thus absolutely no match for a man of Obama's depth and strength.

Obama did not beat Hillary and get to this point by being who you say he is. Race does affect your judgment. Don't get unglued because I called you on it.
Great post Alexus, and I will rep you for this one. I like Colin Powell extremely, but he failed me on demonstrating that he could stand on his own. The "Fabric of a Man" is crucial, and he bailed out without saying to much of nothing.

It is not quite difficult to figure the one poster out-their writings on this subject matter are very troubling. The pattern that you currently are observing will only get worse as they become more irritated with the outcome of the presidency. Good looking out!!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Nail on head! They hate the fact that others don't succumb to this backwards, brainwashed, bigoted mentality.

Why would you vote for a man who believes you are a second class citizen, wants to overturn Roe v Wade, lives off of his wife's trust fund, and left his previous wife for a younger model??

Seems to me the Hillary supporters are the divisive ones...give us Hill or we'll give you McSame! Be careful...he will probably make fools of you all when he starts having memory lapses again and brags about "stealing all the old white women voters" from Obama. Who'd want to be associated with that candidate? EEK!
Well, for one, I wish he could overturn Roe v. Wade but a president doesn't have that power. I certainly don't support unfettered abortion on demand, especially letting babies who survive abortion die without medical care a la Obama.

Secondly, the only candidate I'm convinced doesn't have a disparaging view of women is Hillary and if she isn't a choice then it doesn't matter.

Thirdly, I have stated time and time again here that the candidates' marital status and marriages don't concern me or affect my vote.

Fourth, I am much more comfortable with a president who doesn't insist he'll meet with terrorist leaders and heinous dictators, who doesn't see the folly of radically changing healthcare without requiring participation, who understands that it won't be possible to immediately bring all of the troops home from Iraq (even when it isn't politically advantageous to say so), and who isn't going to further mire us in debt with a slew of new Marxist-style programs such as the greatly expanded "corps" for college students.

But I've given my reasons over and over again why I would support McCain over Obama. The real question here SHOULD be why on Earth the Obama supporters still don't get it and have to raise the same old tired threads ad nauseum.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM

437 posts, read 631,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Race does affect your judgment. Don't get unglued because I called you on it.
But that's all they can do. They can't even discuss race without falling apart, frothing at the mouth and screaming RACE CARD, RACE CARD, RACE CARRRRRD! They cry about being colorblind when what they really mean is, "I'm too lazy and ignorant to learn about and acknowledge our differences, so I'd rather act as if they don't exist." Take away their superiority complexes and they have nothing. This campaign has shown us that. They'd rather vote for McSame than for Obama, when most of us (before now) would've gladly voted for Hillary over John Paul McCain.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:22 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,084,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post

The numbers today say that she would have to win all the next elections at apporoximately 70 30 to get close even if you add in the delegates for michigan and florida. I think it is time to start thinking about how you can reconcile with your brother and sister democrats and start working to get a veto proof congress, so we can tackle health care, green power, middle class revitalization, etc.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post

2, A Perfect Union was not given at the convention. It was the race speech after the Rev Wright thing
Ha! A "Perfect Union" may have been a perfect speech, but it won't go down in history as such since he chose to throw Wright under the bus shortly after that.

I thought this Wright thing was a test for Obama and I felt that he failed miserably. He SHOULD HAVE stayed with Wright regardless once he gave that "Perfect Union" speech. Seriously.

When he came out a few days later and denounced Wright, that was a huge mistake.

Obama showed that he has no loyalty, even to those who he swears he has loyalty to. Obama really f**ed up.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,024,434 times
Janeannwho,
Obama's health care plan won't work unless it requires participation. So, you can cross that one off the list now. McCain's less sweeping proposal for offering tax credits to buy insurance is a start, at least.

A veto-proof Congress????? So, basically, you want to get rid of one of the checks and balances so the president can have his way with us? Great. Will you try to kill off conservative member so the Supreme Court, too?!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! A "Perfect Union" may have been a perfect speech, but it won't go down in history as such since he chose to throw Wright under the bus shortly after that.

I thought this Wright thing was a test for Obama and I felt that he failed miserably. He SHOULD HAVE stayed with Wright regardless once he gave that "Perfect Union" speech. Seriously.

When he came out a few days later and denounced Wright, that was a huge mistake.

Obama showed that he has no loyalty, even to those who he swears he has loyalty to. Obama really f**ed up.
Ha??? does that mean you learned something? It is a speech that will go down in history...and the aftermath only adds to it's importance. You feel he failed the test and I think he did very well.

Obama would NOT have denounced Wright if it wasn't for the the press club rant! Wright acted like an idiot. Much...MUCH more so than any other time. He was a pompass fool that day. Wright gave Obama no choice. It is one thing if a friend says something you don't agree with once in awhile. We all have friend that act stupid but for various reason we over look them. But when he goes in front a national audience and acts like a fool at your expense, that is cause to denounce.

I think it is safe to say that we disagree on this subject but I respect your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections