Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 02:43 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It might not take that long for weed. Athens just decriminalized anything under 1oz. Along with some of the urban ATL county's new stances like Gwinnett, and the fact rural Georgia doesn't care as much either as boomers and gen-x are being replaced by their millenial kids and zoomer grandkids.
The major reason why I said that it potentially could take as long as up to 20 years to legalize marijuana in a historically deeply conservative state like Georgia is because social and cultural conservatives continue to have an iron grip over control of state politics and are likely to hold a majority in at least one, if not both chambers of the state legislature until after the next post-Census reapportionment in 2031.

As long as social and cultural conservatives possess control of at least one chamber of the Georgia Legislature, the chances of the legalization of recreational marijuana or even the increased use of medicinal marijuana seem likely to remain slim in the state of Georgia.

Though, if and/or when Democrats ever take over control of both chambers of the Georgia Legislature along with the Governorship, the chances of recreational marijuana legalization may be likely to increase in the state of Georgia.

Already feeling threatened over seeing massive rapid demographic shifts cut into their huge governing supermajorities in Georgia, social and cultural conservatives don’t seem to be likely to support such a dramatic social reform (in legalized liberalized marijuana usage) that they personally view as being a corrupting hallmark of left-of-center governance.

As long as they control at least one chamber of the Georgia Legislature (which the Georgia state Senate seems to be most likely to remain under GOP control at least through the end of the decade of the 2020’s), social and cultural conservatives may be likely to never approve either legalized recreational marijuana usage or legalized liberalized medicinal marijuana usage because blocking it will be an important symbol of power that remains for conservatives in a state where massive rapid demographic changes are shifting political control away from a decidedly right-of-center position.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:33 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Not every right winger is opposed to cannabis. Several ruby-red states have legalized— Montana, Alaska, and this year possibly Arkansas, Missouri, and the Dakotas will vote for recreational cannabis. And many states much more conservative than Georgia have passed medical cannabis bills that are more comprehensive than Georgia— our neighbors to the west, Alabama and Mississippi, are two.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:54 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Not every right winger is opposed to cannabis. Several ruby-red states have legalized— Montana, Alaska, and this year possibly Arkansas, Missouri, and the Dakotas will vote for recreational cannabis. And many states much more conservative than Georgia have passed medical cannabis bills that are more comprehensive than Georgia— our neighbors to the west, Alabama and Mississippi, are two.
That’s a good point that multiple other ruby-red states either have legalized recreational marijuana, will vote on legalizing recreational marijuana or have passed comprehensive medical marijuana legislation.

Oklahoma is another ruby-red state that legalized very liberal medicinal marijuana use.

Though, a major difference between Georgia and the other conservative states that either have legalized recreational and liberalized medicinal marijuana use or on the verge of doing so is that Georgia is a state where Republicans and conservatives have been experiencing and are continuing to experience waning political power as the state’s demographics shift towards increased Democratic competitiveness in Georgia politics. In the other conservative states where liberalized marijuana use is gaining political acceptance, there is no apparent current Democratic threat to Republican dominance.

Georgia Republicans lost the state’s 16 electoral votes in the 2020 Presidential Election for the first time since 1992, lost both of the state’s US Senate seats in the January 2021 runoff election, have lost supermajority control of both chambers of the Georgia Legislature and the state’s congressional delegation, and (particularly after the Dobbs decision) appear to currently be struggling to get to and stay over the 50% polling level in the 2022 Governor’s race.

In an environment where rapidly receding Republican majority understandably appears to be extremely worried about just maintaining their control over state government and their competitiveness in state politics, there does not at this point appear to be much of an appetite on the part of Georgia’s Republican legislative majority to support issues that historically have been viewed as being exceedingly radical in Georgia, including legalized marijuana and legalized gambling.

And if a more progressive figure like Stacey Abrams were to happen to win the 2022 Governor’s race, Georgia Republicans (who would be likely to maintain majority control of at least one, if not both chambers of the Georgia Legislature) will be likely to remain resistant to supporting any of the new Democratic governor’s potential priorities (including legalizing gambling and/or marijuana) during her term in office in a concerted effort to attempt to make her a one-term governor and return Georgia state governance and politics to GOP dominance.

Old 09-10-2022, 07:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
By pushing her "Voting Rights Act," she has somehow convinced African Americans that they have no voting rights---despite the fact that blacks VOTED in record numbers to elect the "greatest" president/vice-president in our country's history! Wink! Wink!
How many Black Americans have told you that they believe "they have no voting rights"???

But you do know that the Election Integrity Act of 2021 was passed and signed into law...in 2021--which was after the 2020 presidential election, right?

Old 09-16-2022, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 532 times
https://massesmedia.com/politics/sta...2nd-campaign/#

Stacey Abrams reaches millionaire status before 2nd campaign

Last edited by 2030_Auditor; 09-16-2022 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: edit link

Old 09-20-2022, 08:24 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,655 times
Yeah, lol, gambling's not a dealbreaker for me, I have much greater things to worry about. It's always interesting to see when and under what context people advertise abstaining from voting. Well, that's your journey now isn't it?

Old 09-22-2022, 10:11 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Hopefully, she has cooked her goose this time. I don’t know why anyone would have considered voting for her anyway, but even the most low info voters have to wake up now.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:51 PM

831 posts, read 332,729 times
Eh join me in not voting for either of them. I was NEVER going to vote for Abrams but Kemp lost my vote in 2020 when he refused to stand up against the stole election. I'll be leaving the governor space blank or voting 3rd party. It won't matter I know Kemp will win but I won't put my principles aside and help him get elected.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
Eh join me in not voting for either of them. I was NEVER going to vote for Abrams but Kemp lost my vote in 2020 when he refused to stand up against the stole election. I'll be leaving the governor space blank or voting 3rd party. It won't matter I know Kemp will win but I won't put my principles aside and help him get elected.
Your non-vote is a vote for Abrams. Like him or not, he is light years better than the carnage she would cause on this state.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:48 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Biden has built a 45 year political career stating he's opposed to legalizing marijuana, does it really matter what Republicans think? Biden would veto it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections