Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 02:26 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I understand your frustration -- there were elections that didn't go the way I wanted them too, also -- but Barnes ran virtually dead even Biden's 2020 showing in Wisconsin. Painting half of the state of WI as racist because your guy lost is not a good look, at all.

Perhaps Barnes might have won if he hadn't declined Biden's offer to campaign for him (that's a difficult sentence for me to write, since I despise Biden, but it's still a legitimate hypothetical). Certainly, it's a path of least resistance to say he lost because of racism, though -- especially if you don't actually have to say that to anyone's face.
For the record, I was not gung ho on Barnes. I don't think he's particularly qualified for the job. Johnson does not represent the views of WI on abortion, Medicare, or Social Security. He's a rich GOP dinosaur who lost by a very slim margin - only b/c many who voted for Evers could not bring themselves to vote for Barnes. Biden campaigning would not have helped. I knew from day one Barnes wouldn't win. Evers is wondering why he got more votes than Barnes. Enough of the same people who for voted for Evers also voted for Johnson. That says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 02:29 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For the record, I was not gung on Barnes. I don't think he's particularly qualified for the job. Johnson does not represent the views of WI on abortion, Medicare, or Social Security. He's a rich GOP dinosaur who lost by a very slim margin - only b/c many who voted for Evers could not bring themselves to vote for Barnes. Biden campaigning would not have helped. I knew from day one Barnes wouldn't win. Evers is wondering why he got more votes than Barnes. Enough of the same people who for voted for Evers also voted for Johnson. That says it all.
Then it looks to me like a significant number of Evers voters said something like, "I don't think Barnes is particularly qualified for the job, so I'm voting for Johnson" which would explain the difference (this dynamic generally was picked up by polling, as well).

Old 11-17-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Then it looks to me like a significant number of Evers voters said something like, "I don't think Barnes is particularly qualified for the job, so I'm voting for Johnson" which would explain the difference (this dynamic generally was picked up by polling, as well).
We can agree to disagree. I don't think people vote on qualifications if there is deeper issue involved. There are plenty of elected totally unfit people in office put there just to keep the other guy out.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. I don't think people vote on qualifications if there is deeper issue involved. There are plenty of elected totally unfit people in office put there just to keep the other guy out.
Yeah, that's fine. We definitely don't agree. When you try to chalk up a two-point difference between a better-performing gubernatorial candidate and a worse-performing Senate candidate from the same party to racism while in the same breath admitting you didn't think the Senate candidate is "particularly qualified for the job," it's unconvincing.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:30 PM

17,639 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's fine. We definitely don't agree. When you try to chalk up a two-point difference between a better-performing gubernatorial candidate and a worse-performing Senate candidate from the same party to racism while in the same breath admitting you didn't think the Senate candidate is "particularly qualified for the job," it's unconvincing.
Democrats love calling other people racists when they are among the most racist people out there.

It was their favorite tactic in my almost all white, but deep blue, neighborhood in Baltimore when I lived there.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Gerrymandering affects WI no more nor less than any other state in the union.
This is sincere question. WI is 50/50 G/R, yet state legislature is GOP 64/35, our Dems can enact nothing, about the only thing our Dem Gov can do at this point is veto GOP legislation, his powers of appointment have been taken away in a dead of night lame duck session.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/21/73472...ic-governors-p

For my own edification, what other states are so severely skewed that you honestly believe "gerrymandeering affects WI no more or less than any other state?"

In what other state does this level of state government disenfranchisement exist?

Old 11-17-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
This is sincere question. WI is 50/50 G/R, yet state legislature is GOP 64/35, our Dems can enact nothing, about the only thing our Dem Gov can do at this point is veto GOP legislation, his powers of appointment have been taken away in a dead of night lame duck session.

For my own edification, what other states are so severely skewed that you honestly believe "gerrymandeering affects WI no more or less than any other state?"

In what other state does this level of state government disenfranchisement exist?
Ohio's an obvious one.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Ohio's an obvious one.
At least the state votes Republican by 59%, so statehouse imbalance while awful, is not completely dishonest. In WI, assembly numbers are almost the same (64/35), but we vote 50/50:
Quote:
While Ohio Democrats saw big gains in Congress, Republicans picked up supermajorities in both chambers of the statehouse. According to preliminary results, they hold 68 of 99 House seats (69%) and 26 of 33 Senate seats (79%). Both those figures blow out their statewide vote share of about 59%.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...te/ar-AA13YAki
WI is still the worst, it would appear.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-17-2022 at 11:38 PM..

Old 11-18-2022, 08:21 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
Quote:
With a GOP SC, there is zero chance of a fair map in this state - ever.

A 50/50 state, with a GOP control of the legislature 64/35. And, then, people wonder why people are mad.
It looks like there will be an opportunity to flip the majority on the state Supreme Court in an election next spring. Of course even in a scenario where conservatives are no longer in the majority, I would imagine it would take awhile before any rulings are made on the gerrymanders - but this could be a critical first step for restoring balance in Wisconsin government.

From linked article below -
“This affects people in their everyday lives, and there are other decisions like whether to sustain the 1849 abortion ban and many other issues that will come before the court as well,” Wikler said. “Another giant issue that affects just about every political issue in our state is that Republicans have gerrymandered our maps so far, so extremely that they now bear no resemblance to what is required in our Constitution. We are a state where each voter is supposed to have an equal say, but under the gerrymandered maps, it is possible to win a statewide election for Gov. Evers and almost get Republican supermajorities in both state legislative chambers.”

https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/madison...eme-court-race

Old 11-28-2022, 03:29 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,125 times
Quote:

Apologize for late reply, (Holiday and hunting - what can I say)

In an attempt to find data for your inquiry, I came across this Princeton study. Link Attached.

You can read the report intro. for yourself but I believe goal is to rank all states based on data driven analysis as to whether or not partisan gerrymandering heavily influences voting results.

From what I read, study authors do not like gerrymandering and are hoping to provide awareness and solutions for improvement.

It is not an easy tool to interpret and I have not read report in it's entirety. Therefore, I apologize if I state something incorrectly.

While not all states are yet ranked, WI gets an "F" as do OH, OR and FL. an F means political gerrymandering likely heavily influences vote outcome.

From the study:

Wisconsin is home to some of the most extreme partisan gerrymanders in the United States. It was the subject of the 2018 case of Gill v. Whitford, in which a lower court found the state Assembly plan to be an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander. The Supreme Court ultimately dismissed the case in light of its ruling in Rucho v. Common Cause that federal courts have no jurisdiction to hear partisan gerrymandering claims.

Soooo - I cannot vouch for accuracy but I must honestly offer this data to the dialogue. As to your question, it appears there are a few states where Gerrymandering may have as much as affect on district races but not many.

https://gerrymander.princeton.edu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections