Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 09:03 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember when they waved around the 'Willie' Horton ad? Well, the GOP certainly is at it again!

Quote:
In Wisconsin, where Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, who is Black, is the Democratic nominee for Senate, a National Republican Senatorial Committee ad targeting him ends by juxtaposing his face with those of three Democratic House members, all of them women of color, and the words “different” and “dangerous.” In a mailer sent to several state House districts in New Mexico, the state Republican Party darkened the hands of a barber shown giving a white child a haircut, next to the question, “Do you want a sex offender cutting your child’s hair?”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/u...=US%20Politics

In North Carolina now the GOP is waving around the fact that Cheri Beasley, as a black public defender, represented a black man who killed a state trooper more than 25 years ago. So what?

Republicans sure know how to get ugly. After being censured about the Horton ad (whose name was William but they called him Willie to sound more ethnic) the ad's designer did apologize when he had a terminal disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 09:17 AM

253 posts, read 191,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Anyone remember when they waved around the 'Willie' Horton ad? Well, the GOP certainly is at it again!

In North Carolina now the GOP is waving around the fact that Cheri Beasley, as a black public defender, represented a black man who killed a state trooper more than 25 years ago. So what?

Republicans sure know how to get ugly. After being censured about the Horton ad (whose name was William but they called him Willie to sound more ethnic) the ad's designer did apologize when he had a terminal disease.
Read the room...read the polls. You're trying too hard.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This is a little hard to explain away, as anything other than racist fear mongering.

I can't open the OP article - I've worn out my welcome to NYT free material.

Here's the image. The republican political campaign took an original stock photo of a white child getting a haircut, and darkened the hands to create an "ominous" image.

Shameful. This will be difficult to explain away.

https://www.abqjournal.com/2534644/s...rats-cond.html

Here are the two photos - the original and the darkened hand:

https://www.ksfr.org/government/2022...-racist-mailer

Old 10-25-2022, 09:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
Read the room...read the polls. You're trying too hard.
Sounds like you think this is ok?

Would you not be concerned about these campaigns, if you were black?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:40 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
Yep. The GOP has run on racial animus for decades. Deplorable fear mongering of Black Americans. There is no GOP without the racism and their other hostile resentments against Jewish people and women and migrants. This is who they are and whipping up hate and fear in their bigoted base is what they do in an election season.

Here in 2022 their toxicity is louder, uglier and more open as they push their midterm phony platform of crime. They have chosen to run on crime without any plan to address crime as their objective is only to ramp up racist rhetoric and foment divisiveness and increased civil strife here in the USA.

Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville from Alabama last week claimed Black people are criminals. He went on to say, "Democrats and Blacks want crime because they want to take over what you got." No one in the GOP pushed back or condemned him.

Marjorie Taylor Greene of GOP fame spews her White Nationalist conspiracy theories all across the nation. No one from the Republican Party will condemn her. Rather MAGA Republicanism cheers her forward.

Republican Senate candidates, including J.D. Vance in Ohio, Mastriano in Pennsylvania and Masters in Arizona, have used language that is similar to Greene’s. All Trump appointed and anointed candidates embraced by the GOP.

Kari Lake's racist campaign (Republican TV star running for governor in Arizona) likens all Native Americans to bloodthirsty savages who engage in human sacrifice. No one affiliated with the GOP will speak up against her.

GOP Senator Ron Johnson from Wisconsin, more than once, has said he wasn't afraid of Trump's White insurrectionists on Jan 6 at the Capitol, but had they been "Biden's Black Lives Matter" thugs he'd have been concerned & scared. No Republican Party pushback.

Republican Gov DeSantis actually attempts to strip Black Floridians of their power and voice at every turn. Volumes have been written about his policies and rhetoric which reveal racism only rivaled by that of the de facto leader of the GOP, one Donald J. Trump, who is hailed for his racial rhetoric, boorish bigotry and prejudiced platform.

And it goes on and on and on.....

GOP race-baiting, aka the Southern Strategy, has paid off for the Republican Party, so expect their bigotry against fellow Americans to not only be condoned but to accelerate, here in 2022. It's all they've got.

Predictable here in 2022 & ALWAYS Shameful!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 10-25-2022 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2022, 10:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Also for the NY Times article...

...While Republicans quietly stood by advertising that Democrats called racist in 2018, this year, they have responded with defiance, saying they see nothing untoward in their imagery and nothing to apologize for.

“This is stupid, but not surprising,” said Chris Hartline, a spokesman for the Republican Senatorial Committee, whose ads in North Carolina and Wisconsin have prompted accusations of racism. “We’re using their own words and their own records. If they don’t like it, they should invent a time machine, go back in time and not embrace dumb-ass ideas that voters are rejecting.”

Amid pandemic-era crime increases, legitimate policy differences have emerged between the two parties over gun violence, easing access to bail and funding police budgets.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:03 AM

253 posts, read 191,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Sounds like you think this is ok?

Would you not be concerned about these campaigns, if you were black?
Honey? Come here please.

Closer.

Closer.....

Ready?

I am black. Now apologize.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
Honey? Come here please.

Closer.

Closer.....

Ready?

I am black. Now apologize.
I have nothing to apologize for. I'm not the one who darkened a hand in a photo and called that person a sex offender with his (her?) hands on that frightened looking child.

And if that doesn't give you pause to reflect on why a politician would want to do that, well . . .

Old 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Also for the NY Times article...

[i]...While Republicans quietly stood by advertising that Democrats called racist in 2018, this year, they have responded with defiance, saying they see nothing untoward in their imagery and nothing to apologize for.
When have Republicans admitted race-baiting? Every GOP winning candidate from Nixon to now (except Ford) has used race-bating in the campaign. I guess they know their audience.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
When have Republicans admitted race-baiting? Every GOP winning candidate from Nixon to now (except Ford) has used race-bating in the campaign. I guess they know their audience.
They absolutely do. There's a reason they keep trotting these ads out - they work with those they are trying to reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections