Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Sunshine, welcome to the Light.

Saturday, May 14, 2005 Posted: 7:54 AM EDT (1154 GMT)
Pentagon recommends closing 30-plus major military facilities

"The proposed changes also include significant reductions of forces at another 29 major bases.
The 28-page document, sent to the nine-member Base Realignment and Closure Commission, known as BRAC, marks the first step in a politically charged process that will end with a congressional vote near the end of the year. (Full story)
It calls for changes in all 50 states, with a net loss of 10,782 military positions and 18,223 civilian positions"

R.I.F.
Lest this Sunshine Chick character misses it, the base closings are happening right now under the watch of the great "fish and men can coexist peacefully.....you can't put food on your family" leader.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-29-2008 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I wish the moderators would take out threads that have titles that are obvious lies.

Walidm:

"""The proposed changes also include significant reductions of forces at another 29 major bases.
The 28-page document, sent to the nine-member Base Realignment and Closure Commission, known as BRAC, marks the first step in a politically charged process that will end with a congressional vote near the end of the year. (Full story)
It calls for changes in all 50 states, with a net loss of 10,782 military positions and 18,223 civilian positions""""

are these all in the U.S.?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,672,903 times
OP - did you actually watch the video?

Here is the actual quote BTW

Quote:
"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
He is saying he will stand with anyone if the government attempts things such as internment camps, or other racially/religious discrimination. Are there no Muslim Americans? If law abiding Muslim Americans are discriminated against, should we not stand against it with them? What if he said "I stand with Roman Catholics should the political winds shift in an ugly direction"?

Quote was taken out of context, and is not even correct. Classic example of spewing talking points without knowing anything about what is being posted.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I know everyone has a right to their opinion but I wish the moderators would take out threads that have titles that are obvious lies.

Walidm:

"""The proposed changes also include significant reductions of forces at another 29 major bases.
It calls for changes in all 50 states, with a net loss of 10,782 military positions and 18,223 civilian positions""""

are these all in the U.S.?
Article was from 2005, I forgot about that happening but RUMSFELD of bushCo closed many bases in the U.S.

WHY?

Why does he think we need less defense here?

Why does he want us to be less protected?

Why so much money building bases elsewhere? But not here ?

So we will be more vulnerable????

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,642 times
Even though I'm active duty right now, I would like to see a reduce in military spending. I think its obsurb that we spend so much and get so little. We can do more with less. Also another concern of mine is that IKE warned about this in his last address. There was a problem he forsaw with the MIC becoming too large. I think if you look at it now you can see where he was coming from. Our Military should be funeded and supported 100 percent, but it shouldn't be as much waste and crap that it has currently.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
This thread has a stupid, misleading title that the OP should really be ashamed of. I mean come on. Seriously?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM

The title of this thread is a misquoted lie, it should be removed.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
DOD has become once again a fat cat. obama does not appear to be raving in this video. again obama is not making mistakes. nothing about muslims at all. dont get the point of the title of this thread. again a photo with an accusation heat but where is the light.
hey and i am not even an obama guy (yet)

Old 05-29-2008, 08:55 AM

Also for future reference, here is the snopes.com page that details the Obama misquotes and lies people are saying come from his books, that are going around in chain emails. It includes this one.

snopes.com: Barack Obama in His Own Words

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
should the political winds shift in an ugly direction".....Be careful what you wish for, Warning: SCARY STUFF. * Obama plans to disarm America*by*Macsmind
Absolutely shocking!

Some unknown right wing whackadoodle claims that Obama intends to disarm America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections