Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,769,344 times

Advertisements

To answer the question at hand: Yep, I like him. Next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 02:48 PM

526 posts, read 1,483,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
We haven't gotten our stimulus checks. That's a good-enough excuse not to trust McCain.
What does McCain have to do with your stimulous checks? Do you think he personally wrote them out to all his constituencies but skipped yours? Or maybe he put language in the law to exclude yours?

You know not everyone was entitled to stimulous checks. My wife, who is a Democrat got one, I, a Republican, did not -- must be that new Democrat senator Ohio just elected.

Anyway -- back to Mccain, he's a compromise; not my first choice, but good enough on defense, taxes, entitlements and most of all the courts.

We conservatives have to realize, and it's painful, that this country is in NO MOOD for a conservative president. McCain has enough liberal stances, that he could be a good choice for some of the more left leaning voters.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,879,942 times
...If a "liberal stance" is planning a WAR against Russia (which I'm sure is on his hidden agenda), then Juan Hashim McCain could maybe appeal to left leaning voters...

Old 05-31-2008, 03:39 PM

....I doubt it though....

Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,585,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I am perplexed how he has gotten this close to the Presidency.
Same as Obama, they are celebrities ... Eisenhower once said in order for one to desire to become a president they must have a big ego or be a lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Anyway -- back to Mccain, he's a compromise; not my first choice, but good enough on defense, taxes, entitlements and most of all the courts.

We conservatives have to realize, and it's painful, that this country is in NO MOOD for a conservative president. McCain has enough liberal stances, that he could be a good choice for some of the more left leaning voters.
My first vote goes to Ron Paul being his ideologies are closest to our fouding fathers, however I think McCain is a good compromise and is probably a better image as a president than Dr. Paul, as the situation is once whoever becomes president that is not simply it, they still have to cross divides and McCain being called a Maverick, is for a reason, most recently the McCain-Kennedy bills shows that is his able to cross barriers to get things done. We need someone who can get things done.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,421,437 times
I do not like McCain and he is not getting my vote.

I do not like any of the candidates, that is why I am voting for the Libertarian part candidate barr.

I do not see how the McCain-Kennedy bill shows he got anything done. Nothing was done on immigration and it was clearly obvious most Americans did not agree with it yet he still is arrogant enough to push it. One thing I do not like is arrogance against what the people wish for.

McCain's foreign policy plans are a disaster, he still thinks its 1968.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
He certtianly came from no where with no money to outright win the republican primary ;so I would say he is very well liked. Were as neither clinto or obama can get over 50% even within their own Party. In fact the democarts could have a candidate that did not win the popular vote in their party.Uts along way to the gemeral election and Obama seems to be in more trouble everyday.The question in a few short moths has gone from Mccain ahs no money and no chance to win;to did the democratcs pick antoher candidate that can't win becausee of poor vetting.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 PM

532 posts, read 859,584 times
Thumbs down I don't like McCain

Quote:
I understand some people will vote for McCain because they feel threatened by or just dislike Obama.

Is there anybody though that wants to vote McCain because they passionately feel he is the right man to be our next President?

If so, why? Other than just because "he is not Obama".

I don't think I have ever met a person... from any ideological background... that deeply supports the guy. I am perplexed how he has gotten this close to the Presidency.
Actually, I do't like any of the 3 candidates. I will vote for none of them. They are all equally bad. One of them will win, but it doesn't make much difference. We're in for a hard time regardless. If I vote, it will be a "write in".

Old 06-01-2008, 08:05 AM

I think McCain is a warmonger, so he is even worse than Obama and his ilk : he might destroy the WORLD, whereas Obama would "only" destroy America....
And yes, I wonder why Libertarian ideas are not more popular in a country that gave Jefferson or Hamilton ...or the ACLU!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
I understand some people will vote for McCain because they feel threatened by or just dislike Obama.

Is there anybody though that wants to vote McCain because they passionately feel he is the right man to be our next President?

If so, why? Other than just because "he is not Obama".

I don't think I have ever met a person... from any ideological background... that deeply supports the guy. I am perplexed how he has gotten this close to the Presidency.
Don't like McCain, won't vote for him, don't trust him to do what he says. Know he will do the wrong thing on illegal immigration, environment and Guantanamo/waterboarding. Think he will do the wrong thing on judges and taxes. Afraid he will do the wrong thing on the economy.

Yes, Obama is much worse. With him, I fear for our safety and our country's ability to survive. I just hope he can't wreck everything in 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections