Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post
Sorry, I have no use for dishonesty.
Then John McCain is the last person you'd ever vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Only Obama didn't call his grandmother a "typical white person" from a demographic point view. He called her this from his twisted, racial point of view.
Yep that would be what he did. I think he did not think it through before he opened his mouth.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Make that third to the last.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Just curious about your opinions on this. Obama called his grandmother a typical white person. So my question (since Obama, by his words made it OK to generalize and stereotype an entire race of people)....Is Obama a typical black person? Thoughts? Opinions?

I never knew until Obama made his great speech that there was any such thing as a typical white person. Apparently there is. So I guess it stands to reason, there would be a typical black person as well. What would that be? Is Obama a typical black person?

Obama......his words truely promote UNITY!!!!!! (sarcasm)
The use of the phrase "typical white person" wasn't used in a manner to show that he is racist or biased against whites. Only people desperate to find anything, not matter how trivial, to knock this great man on, would spin it that way.

The reality is that it is "typical" for a white person to for instance lock their car doors when they see a black person crossing the street near them at a stop light, or cross the street while walking to avoid passing on the same side as an approaching black person or assume that a black person is naturally violent or lazy or angry and so forth.

Plenty of people ignorant about race in this country. Great that we're FINALLY going to have a president who can address the problem, but do it effectively and fairly.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Just curious about your opinions on this. Obama called his grandmother a typical white person. So my question (since Obama, by his words made it OK to generalize and stereotype an entire race of people)....Is Obama a typical black person? Thoughts? Opinions?

I never knew until Obama made his great speech that there was any such thing as a typical white person. Apparently there is. So I guess it stands to reason, there would be a typical black person as well. What would that be? Is Obama a typical black person?

Very typical in my social circles and community and that includes a wide range of folks.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 PM

153 posts, read 565,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Never said I would. We're talking about Obama here.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:

Hey gsupstate, as a southern man (who happens to be gay), you claim to know bigotry. Yet you never really explained why you said a singer (who happens to be black) would be considered a "thug." Remember that, Mr. Kettle? Is a typical black man a "thug?" Does your disdain for Obama reveal some sort of hatred of black men? How can a Hillary supporter really not vote for Obama when their policy statements are virtually identical?

So my question (since you, by your own words made it OK to generalize and steretype an entire race of people as "thugs")...Are you a typical white man (in that you do not believe a black man can be President?) Thoughts? Opinions?

I never knew until your great statement about will.i.am's great video that there was any such thing as a typical thug. Apparently there is. So I guess it stands to reason, there would be a typical good-doer as well. What would that be? Is gsupstate a typical gay bigot?

gsupstate....in his words truely[sic] promote HYPOCRISY!!!!!! (sarcasm)

Old 05-30-2008, 09:18 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,642 times
I dont know what he is, he is one totally mixed up person.

What I do know is that he is typical of everything wrong about a person running for the Presidency.

Ask him what he is, he will give you a different answer every single time.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Hey gsupstate, as a southern man (who happens to be gay), you claim to know bigotry. Yet you never really explained why you said a singer (who happens to be black) would be considered a "thug." Remember that, Mr. Kettle? Is a typical black man a "thug?" Does your disdain for Obama reveal some sort of hatred of black men? How can a Hillary supporter really not vote for Obama when their policy statements are virtually identical?

So my question (since you, by your own words made it OK to generalize and steretype an entire race of people as "thugs")...Are you a typical white man (in that you do not believe a black man can be President?) Thoughts? Opinions?

I never knew until your great statement about will.i.am's great video that there was any such thing as a typical thug. Apparently there is. So I guess it stands to reason, there would be a typical good-doer as well. What would that be? Is gsupstate a typical gay bigot?

gsupstate....in his words truely[sic] promote HYPOCRISY!!!!!! (sarcasm)
Fact is we can speculate till the cows come home what he meant and only he knows. Hey Art why don't you ans the question instead of attack the poster. As for the typical white or black person we could use demographics, graduation statistics, abortion statistics, or teen pregnancy statistics and paint an ugly picture of the typical anything.

To the original question no I would say he is not the typical any person. He has great ambition and is very educated. Does that qualify him for the presidency I do not think so but that is another thread.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The use of the phrase "typical white person" wasn't used in a manner to show that he is racist or biased against whites. Only people desperate to find anything, not matter how trivial, to knock this great man on, would spin it that way.
Excuse me, but Bill Clinton was branded a racist for using the term "fairy tale" and Geraldine Ferraro was branded a racist too -- for saying something factual -- and you honestly think that Obama is not being a racist when he says "typical white person"?

When everyone else has called Obama a "typical black person" like any of the other black politicians, they have been called racists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections