Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Feel free to comment on Obama's youth/inexperience here. I had the same concern for a long time, still do every once in awhile. I made peace with it this way: Obama will grow into the job. He will probably make mistakes at first, but he seems to catch on remarkably quickly. He seems to be good at listening to advisors (but not quite so good at choosing advisors--we will have to see how his team turns out). If he surrounds himself with good advisors, I think he will do a fine job.

On the other hand, McCain will grow out of the job. He will start off ok, but the stress will become too much and he will develop age-related problems. What good will advisors be if McCain becomes one of those oldsters who won't listen to advice?
Agreed.

I'm willing to put up with a few minor stumbles by Obama, so long as he's wise enough to rely on top advisors, and remain innovative with a clear vision.

I'd have the same optimism with McCain if I could believe that he'd be just as wise in relying on his advisors. But I just don't see McCain with the innovation and clear vision necessary to be president in 2009. I'm comfortable with him being able to physically handle the job. But it takes the rare 72 year old to handle the stress and tension of the Oval Office.

I don't see McCain as that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM

540 posts, read 962,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Agreed.

I'm willing to put up with a few minor stumbles by Obama, so long as he's wise enough to rely on top advisors, and remain innovative with a clear vision.

I'd have the same optimism with McCain if I could believe that he'd be just as wise in relying on his advisors. But I just don't see McCain with the innovation and clear vision necessary to be president in 2009. I'm comfortable with him being able to physically handle the job. But it takes the rare 72 year old to handle the stress and tension of the Oval Office.

Haven't the democrats been b-tching for 8 years about a president that was inexperienced, had a few minor stumbles, and relied upon top advisors too much?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,849 times
The difference between race, sex and age is that the former two things do not affect the lucidity of a person's mind.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:02 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
Haven't the democrats been b-tching for 8 years about a president that was inexperienced, had a few minor stumbles, and relied upon top advisors too much?
Ignoring a Presidential Daily Briefing that warned that Osama Bin Laden was poised to attack the U.S. using airplanes as weapons ... is NOT a minor stumble. Nor is torture. Nor is warrantless spying on American citizens.

Dick Cheney is a "top advisor" who convinced our president to invade a country that was not an imminent threat (over 4 thousand deaths, tens of thousands injured--not to mention hundreds of thousands of Iraqis).

Yet another "top advisor"--some guy called the Secretary of State--advised against this very invasion. In fact, most of the "top advisors" who advised against these actions were either fired or quit.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post

Exactly. He has anger management issues already. That's only going to get worse with the stress of the job. If someone questions his judgement, he'll get mad and do something rash. I know quite a few seniors who have slipped a few gears and have explosive personalities. It's not a good thing.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Exactly. He has anger management issues already. That's only going to get worse with the stress of the job. If someone questions his judgement, he'll get mad and do something rash. I know quite a few seniors who have slipped a few gears and have explosive personalities. It's not a good thing.
He'll tear loose from his handlers and get on the horn with the ol' American People and call us all trollops.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM

454 posts, read 749,055 times
Quote:
Folks, I'm old.

I'm about the same age as McCain, so there's a part of me that really wants him to win. To make a statement about ageism. To prove that I'm not so old after all.

But then the truth hits me. I'm old. Too old to work anymore, that's why I'm retired.

Old age creeps up on you. And you're always the last to know when your mind isn't quite as sharp as it once was. I'm still thinking clearly 90% of the time. A lot of times I think: So what! Hey, that's better than a lot of you young people who don't seem to think clearly at all! But the truth is, it means 10% of the time I make dumb decisions. And I don't realize it at the time. I owned a small company and felt I had to stick around because I was irreplaceable. But near the end it was gently suggested that I no longer had the mental acuity needed for such a stressful job. It's true--running a company becomes too stressful for a person my age--which means I can't even imagine the stress a job like POTUS would have on McCain.

The scariest thing is how suddenly you can go downhill. McCain might be a great leader for the first year or so--but four years is a long time. What are we going to do if he starts to lose it? Dementia is hard to diagnose, where is the dividing line? When do his advisors or the VP overrule him--and what happens if McCain tries to fight it. Because nobody likes to be told they are losing their judgement.

72 is old. He might still be just fine by the end of 4 years. But maybe not.

Comments?
If you are too old to work, that is your problem, it does not however, implies that McCain is also too old to work.

My grandfather is over 80 years, and he is still involved with the day to day activities of the company he founded.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,434,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
If you are too old to work, that is your problem, it does not however, implies that McCain is also too old yo work.

My grandfather is over 80 years, and he is still involved with the day to day activities of the company he founded.
Your grandfather is not John McCain, who has already shown signs of senile dementia. Remember, McCain's father died at age 70.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM

454 posts, read 749,055 times
McCain 96 year old mother sound saner than a lot of the pseudo journalists on tv. She does not look like someone who is 96 at all, and if McCain inherited any of her genes, I am very sure he will be fine.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
That's nice--but I want a president who is more than just "still involved with the day to day activities" of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections