Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Exactly. It's hard to admit you're getting old, isn't it?

I'm addicted to Boston Legal because they tackle the same issue: A dynamic lawyer who is facing age-related problems but can't bear to admit it. And how this gets him into trouble again and again. The show is a farce, of course--but it's also food for thought.

BTW, I get some great ideas from Boston Legal. I know if I start seeing the early signs of Alzheimer's I'm going to deal with it by calling it Mad Cow Disease.

Well, if I go out on a patio, at the end of every day, and light up a cigar instead of a cigarette, I hope I will have a friend with whom I can share it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:39 AM

602 posts, read 1,963,402 times
Quote:
You know what else? I'm in great health. Right now. I walk 5 miles a day, eat well, do a lot of travelling. I'm still pretty sharp. But I can't guarantee I'll be like this four years from now. I hope I am--but I can't guarantee it. That scares me.
I'm glad your health is good, Normie. You're the same age as my Dad.

Can ANY of us guarantee that we're going to be in good health four years from now? I'm not trying to be snotty here--just asking. People can get sick, or have accidents, or die, at pretty much any age. You might think a younger candidate for any job would have an automatic advantage over an older one, but it's not a guarantee, by any means. McCain is not 92; he's 72, right? It's not quite time to bust out the Depends, IMHO.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 AM

526 posts, read 1,483,000 times
Default Age is not the Issue

The relative ages of the two main presidential candidates is the least significant of their differences.

Obama is an out-and-out Marxist. In the short period of time he has been in the U.S. Senate he has NEVER reached out to the Republicans. He is an extreme partisan.

McCain, on the other hand, is very centrist. As a matter of fact, his collaboration with the likes of Kennedy, Feingold, Lieberman etc. have put him in shaky grounds with this base constituancy.

By the way, Benjamin Franklin was 70 years old in 1776 when he played a major role in adopting our Declaraion of Independance.

And as you know, Mr. Franklin also was instrumental in the founding of this country - despite being over 70 years old.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's hard to admit you're getting old, isn't it?

I'm addicted to Boston Legal because they tackle the same issue: A dynamic lawyer who is facing age-related problems but can't bear to admit it. And how this gets him into trouble again and again. The show is a farce, of course--but it's also food for thought.

BTW, I get some great ideas from Boston Legal. I know if I start seeing the early signs of Alzheimer's I'm going to deal with it by calling it Mad Cow Disease.

I think we may be about the same age and all I can say is......

Mooooo........

Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The relative ages of the two main presidential candidates is the least significant of their differences.

Obama is an out-and-out Marxist. In the short period of time he has been in the U.S. Senate he has NEVER reached out to the Republicans. He is an extreme partisan.

McCain, on the other hand, is very centrist. As a matter of fact, his collaboration with the likes of Kennedy, Feingold, Lieberman etc. have put him in shaky grounds with this base constituancy.

By the way, Benjamin Franklin was 70 years old in 1776 when he played a major role in adopting our Declaraion of Independance.

And as you know, Mr. Franklin also was instrumental in the founding of this country - despite being over 70 years old.

Bolded is an out and out lie. He has been involved in legislation with Republicans.

Benjamion Franklin was an exception with an exceptional brain.....McCain is not and has not.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:09 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,539 times
Eh. I know many people in their late 60s that certainly dont look or act it. The difference between being in your 60s and your 70s is that of the difference between your 20s and your 30s. Little change, but people seem to make a big deal about that first digit going up a number.

Is 70 too old for President? Yes, I believe so. Is it too old for anything else? Nope.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Folks, I'm old.

I'm about the same age as McCain, so there's a part of me that really wants him to win. To make a statement about ageism. To prove that I'm not so old after all.

But then the truth hits me. I'm old. Too old to work anymore, that's why I'm retired.

Old age creeps up on you. And you're always the last to know when your mind isn't quite as sharp as it once was. I'm still thinking clearly 90% of the time. A lot of times I think: So what! Hey, that's better than a lot of you young people who don't seem to think clearly at all! But the truth is, it means 10% of the time I make dumb decisions. And I don't realize it at the time. I owned a small company and felt I had to stick around because I was irreplaceable. But near the end it was gently suggested that I no longer had the mental acuity needed for such a stressful job. It's true--running a company becomes too stressful for a person my age--which means I can't even imagine the stress a job like POTUS would have on McCain.

The scariest thing is how suddenly you can go downhill. McCain might be a great leader for the first year or so--but four years is a long time. What are we going to do if he starts to lose it? Dementia is hard to diagnose, where is the dividing line? When do his advisors or the VP overrule him--and what happens if McCain tries to fight it. Because nobody likes to be told they are losing their judgement.

72 is old. He might still be just fine by the end of 4 years. But maybe not.

Comments?

I have no problem with his age at all. I know many 80+ year olds who get around just fine and are very energetic, and I know many 60 year old slugs. It depends on the person, and I have no problem at all with McCain's energy level nor his age.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Was adopting our Declaration of Independance a four-year commitment?

I have no doubt that McCain is healthy enough to do the job today. It's the likelihood that he'll develop problems as the years go by that worries me. Especially with a stressful job like POTUS.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:55 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Ignoring a Presidential Daily Briefing that warned that Osama Bin Laden was poised to attack the U.S. using airplanes as weapons ...
It wasn't ignored; it was very vague.

Quote:
Nor is torture.
Interrogation is not "torture."

Quote:
Nor is warrantless spying on American citizens.
Wiretapping overseas phone calls is legal. It was also done under our last President... During the 1990s, under President Clinton, the National Security Agency monitored millions of private phone calls placed by U.S. citizens and citizens of other countries under a super-secret program code-named Echelon. It had been monitoring private domestic telephone conversations *without* obtaining court-approved warrants.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Age is not going to be a problem for McCain. For those who think so, then most of the SUPREME COURT should be REMOVED, as they are way over the age of McCain who is 70. In the Military, an officer has to hold a rank for a certain period of time before being eligible for promotion. This time period is a experience period. A junior senator has NOT spent enough time in his/her office to be eligible for the job of PRESIDENT. Their are many others that I would rather choose for the job and responsibility it holds. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections