Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 PM

526 posts, read 1,483,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Bolded is an out and out lie. He has been involved in legislation with Republicans.
From the WSJ.COM Obama's New Vulnerability - WSJ.com

"Mr. McCain can now question Mr. Obama's promise to change Washington by working across party lines. Mr. Obama hasn't worked across party lines since coming to town. Was he a member of the "Gang of 14" that tried to find common ground between the parties on judicial nominations? Was Mr. Obama part of the bipartisan leadership that tackled other thorny issues like energy, immigration or terrorist surveillance legislation? No. Mr. Obama has been one of the most dependably partisan votes in the Senate."
(Emphasis mine)

The truth is, Obama has not reached across the isle to work on any significant legislation with the Republicans. If you can prove this statement wrong, do so, otherwise if you want a bi-partisan president, vote for McCain!

As for the comment regarding Benjamin Franklin's service to this country, YES -- his service lasted longer than 4 years. Evidently you need a refresher history course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM

532 posts, read 859,462 times
Thumbs down Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Folks, I'm old.

I'm about the same age as McCain, so there's a part of me that really wants him to win. To make a statement about ageism. To prove that I'm not so old after all.

But then the truth hits me. I'm old. Too old to work anymore, that's why I'm retired.

Old age creeps up on you. And you're always the last to know when your mind isn't quite as sharp as it once was. I'm still thinking clearly 90% of the time. A lot of times I think: So what! Hey, that's better than a lot of you young people who don't seem to think clearly at all! But the truth is, it means 10% of the time I make dumb decisions. And I don't realize it at the time. I owned a small company and felt I had to stick around because I was irreplaceable. But near the end it was gently suggested that I no longer had the mental acuity needed for such a stressful job. It's true--running a company becomes too stressful for a person my age--which means I can't even imagine the stress a job like POTUS would have on McCain.

The scariest thing is how suddenly you can go downhill. McCain might be a great leader for the first year or so--but four years is a long time. What are we going to do if he starts to lose it? Dementia is hard to diagnose, where is the dividing line? When do his advisors or the VP overrule him--and what happens if McCain tries to fight it. Because nobody likes to be told they are losing their judgement.

72 is old. He might still be just fine by the end of 4 years. But maybe not.

Comments?
I don' t think McCain is too old. It just depends on his physical, and mental health. Some people age better than others. Remember Regan was old, but was a good President--even tho he was showing signs of Alzheimers before the end of his Presidency. NcCain should choose a younger, savvy VP who can take over, if he shows signs of dementia. Obama is not too young. Isn't he about the age JFK was? However, I don't plan to vote for either of the 2, as they don't fit my definition of a good candidate. Whichever wins--I hope they prove me wrong.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,812 times
Quote:
Folks, I'm old.

I'm about the same age as McCain, so there's a part of me that really wants him to win. To make a statement about ageism. To prove that I'm not so old after all.

But then the truth hits me. I'm old. Too old to work anymore, that's why I'm retired.

Old age creeps up on you. And you're always the last to know when your mind isn't quite as sharp as it once was. I'm still thinking clearly 90% of the time. A lot of times I think: So what! Hey, that's better than a lot of you young people who don't seem to think clearly at all! But the truth is, it means 10% of the time I make dumb decisions. And I don't realize it at the time. I owned a small company and felt I had to stick around because I was irreplaceable. But near the end it was gently suggested that I no longer had the mental acuity needed for such a stressful job. It's true--running a company becomes too stressful for a person my age--which means I can't even imagine the stress a job like POTUS would have on McCain.

The scariest thing is how suddenly you can go downhill. McCain might be a great leader for the first year or so--but four years is a long time. What are we going to do if he starts to lose it? Dementia is hard to diagnose, where is the dividing line? When do his advisors or the VP overrule him--and what happens if McCain tries to fight it. Because nobody likes to be told they are losing their judgement.

Comments?
I don't think John McCain is "too old." If he takes office he will be the oldest at inception but not the oldest president.

List of United States Presidents by age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama is a few years older than Kennedy.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:15 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,906 times
Quote:
Folks, I'm old.

Comments?
I agree Sir, my girlfriend saw his POW commercial and responded "McCain was a POW in WWI?" Mind you she is a blonde.

Thus I believe the VP to be VERY important. Not just to McCain but also to Obama, for other reasons. This election might come down to VP appeal as though it is obvious that the Democratic party will be ahead, they seem to have a harder time choosing a VP than the GOP. Remember when Kerry chose Edwards, he made a comment after losing the 2004 election, I wish I have never chose Edwards, he and Edwards thus stopped speaking and in the 2008 primary, he nominated Obama while Edwards was still in the race. Not to mention, ask yourself who wears the pants in the relationship Bush or Cheney. And what is Obama chooses Clinton as VP as most of the DNC wants, and you know Hillary will do anything to get into the white house, well does that still represent "CHANGE" in the 2008 or the old democratic party in the 90s.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
I don' t think McCain is too old. It just depends on his physical, and mental health. Some people age better than others. Remember Regan was old, but was a good President--even tho he was showing signs of Alzheimers before the end of his Presidency. NcCain should choose a younger, savvy VP who can take over, if he shows signs of dementia. Obama is not too young. Isn't he about the age JFK was? However, I don't plan to vote for either of the 2, as they don't fit my definition of a good candidate. Whichever wins--I hope they prove me wrong.
Good response, Obama vs McCain ... America and the media you have failed us once again, its the vote for "the most influential person in the world" and not a beauty pageant, if it was those are sure two ugly beauty queens.

However I will still vote for one of them since there are only two choices and I feel voting is every citizens obligation and though I am leaning on one side it may still ultimately lean in on the VP. I feel voting for the VP is almost as important as voting for the pres. you see, the VP will ultimately run for pres 8 years down the road and that is looking out for the future and also in our particular position, it might be McCain or Obama who might have unforseeable situations where they may need a VP to replace them.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As for the comment regarding Benjamin Franklin's service to this country, YES -- his service lasted longer than 4 years. Evidently you need a refresher history course.
Evidently you need to read the original question.

The question was about Benjamin Franklin’s role in adopting our Declaration of Independence, not his general service. His role in adopting the Declaration did not take four years.

But let’s go ahead and talk about Franklin’s service in general. Franklin was dispatched to France as commissioner for the United States at age 70. He was there for 8 years, which is definitely to his credit.

However.... a diplomatic job is not even remotely as stressful as POTUS. While Benjamin Franklin was in France, he had plenty of time for rest (and flirting, of course ). Mostly, he attended parties and had days or weeks at a time with not much to do. Which is not to put down his role--he also negotiated a military alliance and was instrumental in the Treaty of Paris. These were important accomplishments--but nothing compared to what a president needs to accomplish.

I’m all for McCain being an ambassador. But POTUS? Hmm, don’t think so.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
Quote:
Folks, I'm old.

Comments?
Well 72 for one man is not the same as 72 for another. While I personally prefer the more elder statesmen type as wisdom from years goes a long way in my book. There is also something to say for youth and the optimistic and sometimes idealism that comes with it. I suppose there are times when one or the other is more needed than the other.

I look at how both Bush's, Clinton, Reagan, and even Carter aged while in office. Most notable to me are actually Clinton and the current Bush. The office of the President sucks the life out of a person and it seems quite clear that being placed in a position of such stress does in fact age the human body and takes its toll on health.

I do worry in the case of McCain as I think his day came and went back in 2000. When I listen to him struggle to get words out, articulate his thoughts, as well as a noticeable delay between thought and response. If McCain were to just stick to what he believes, he would get his thoughts and words out much smoother. As it is, he is having to compromise some of his own held positions in order to appeal to his base, while at the same time attempting to appeal to the middle for the general and this is just tripping him up left and right. He can't seem to keep a story straight without Lieberman in his ear giving him pointers on what to say.

McCain is running on his past honors, just like Rudy Giuliani ran on 9-11, and it just isn't enough.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well 72 for one man is not the same as 72 for another. While I personally prefer the more elder statesmen type as wisdom from years goes a long way in my book. There is also something to say for youth and the optimistic and sometimes idealism that comes with it. I suppose there are times when one or the other is more needed than the other.

I look at how both Bush's, Clinton, Reagan, and even Carter aged while in office. Most notable to me are actually Clinton and the current Bush. The office of the President sucks the life out of a person and it seems quite clear that being placed in a position of such stress does in fact age the human body and takes its toll on health.

I do worry in the case of McCain as I think his day came and went back in 2000. When I listen to him struggle to get words out, articulate his thoughts, as well as a noticeable delay between thought and response. If McCain were to just stick to what he believes, he would get his thoughts and words out much smoother. As it is, he is having to compromise some of his own held positions in order to appeal to his base, while at the same time attempting to appeal to the middle for the general and this is just tripping him up left and right. He can't seem to keep a story straight without Lieberman in his ear giving him pointers on what to say.

McCain is running on his past honors, just like Rudy Giuliani ran on 9-11, and it just isn't enough.
Nicely stated. You have a way of getting to the meat of the issue.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Thus I believe the VP to be VERY important. Not just to McCain but also to Obama, for other reasons.
Good point—there is a lot to be said for choosing a presidential candidate based on how you like the VP. Also for choosing a candidate because you like his advisory team.

One thing to think about, though. Being the VP does not always lead to being the next president. Nixon was Eisenhower’s VP—and Eisenhower was a tremendously popular president. Nixon tried to ride Eisenhower's wave—promising that only he could continue the peace and prosperity. But even though he had been VP, Nixon went up against a young guy named JFK.

Guess what, the older guy lost. The younger guy with a platform of change won.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:06 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
Quote:
Good point—there is a lot to be said for choosing a presidential candidate based on how you like the VP. Also for choosing a candidate because you like his advisory team.

One thing to think about, though. Being the VP does not always lead to being the next president. Nixon was Eisenhower’s VP—and Eisenhower was a tremendously popular president. Nixon tried to ride Eisenhower's wave—promising that only he could continue the peace and prosperity. But even though he had been VP, Nixon went up against a young guy named JFK.

Guess what, the older guy lost. The younger guy with a platform of change won.
a platform of change? give me a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections