Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 PM

422 posts, read 759,073 times

Advertisements

You realize that nuclear power isn't a credible alternative to oil right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
McCain is from Arizona. He couldn't find oil if he poured out of his shoes and the instructions to remove it were on the bottom of his shoe heel. Same for Obama.

Neither one of these numbnuts has no idea as to how energy is produced or developed. It's all about consumer and that is the problem.

McCain's gas tax holiday made my girlfriend Heidi Klum excited. I had to calm her down and tell her all the world does not run on Volkswagen. Yes, I am full of crap - as much as our future candidates.

And Ron Paul and Ralph Nader are equally idiotic. Find me a President who will select a DOE chairman/woman who understand how oil is produced and can make energy independance a number 1 priority, I'll vote for him or her. As long their references check out.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
McCain is from Arizona. He couldn't find oil if he poured out of his shoes and the instructions to remove it were on the bottom of his shoe heel. Same for Obama.

Neither one of these numbnuts has no idea as to how energy is produced or developed. It's all about consumer and that is the problem.

McCain's gas tax holiday made my girlfriend Heidi Klum excited. I had to calm her down and tell her all the world does not run on Volkswagen. Yes, I am full of crap - as much as our future candidates.

And Ron Paul and Ralph Nader are equally idiotic. Find me a President who will select a DOE chairman/woman who understand how oil is produced and can make energy independance a number 1 priority, I'll vote for him or her. As long their references check out.
You are certainly the authority on epistemology. I would imagine most take what you say with a grain of salt +1 [me].

Old 06-23-2008, 10:05 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I have a simple question, often ignored.

Why should we expand drilling, when the oil companies have not taken advantage or used the 64 Million acres of current leased oil property?

This is the million dollar question to me. And until it is answered, I can't support signing over even more of our coastline.

If it will be so advantageous, why haven't oil companies used what they have rights to already?????

This speaks volumes to me. Anyone have an answer to this one?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post

Why should we expand drilling, when the oil companies have not taken advantage or used the 64 Million acres of current leased oil property?

Both recent threads regarding oil drilling have come to a standstill when this question is posed.

It reinforces my belief that this renewed push to obtain even more land for drilling is just political posturing and a desperate attempt to sway voters.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times
They make more moolah the longer that oil sits in the ground; an outstanding investment; low risk and large returns.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Remember the need is for sweet light crude and that is becoming in short supply and more difficult and expensive to get to. Not all oil is equal.
WINTERSHALL: Types of oil (http://www.wintershall.com/34.html - broken link)

Brent and WTI leading grades
Brent and WTI are both light sweet crude oils – low-sulphur, light oils for which there is the greatest demand worldwide. Out of these light crude oils, an above-average proportion of gasoline can be obtained in the refineries. Less in demand, and therefore significantly cheaper, are the heavy crude oils from which a higher proportion of heavy heating oil can be produced. One such grade, for instance is Maya (Mexico). Fuels can also be obtained from heavy crude oil, but at a considerably higher processing cost.

Wintershall mainly produces light and intermediate oils. Light crude oils with a low sulfurcontent are most in demand, because they yield a high proportion of gasoline and high-value products for the chemical industry. This category includes the type of oil Wintershallproduces at Aitingen in Southern Germany, as well as As Sarah and Nakhla types produced in Libya. The oils produced at Barnstorf and Emlichheim are intermediate oils, usedmainly for diesel and heating oil. The heavier the oil, the higher its processing costs. Lube oils and bitumen are at the end of the processing chain.

The grades produced by Wintershall include Amna, Bu Attiffel, and Es Sider (all Libya), Dubai (Dubai), and Russian Export Blend (Russia).

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
They make more moolah the longer that oil sits in the ground; an outstanding investment; low risk and large returns.
Yet we are being led to believe that by turning over even more of our country's beautiful coastline in Florida and California and entrusting it with the oil companies, we will all benefit. I'm not buying it. Let them use what they already have an see what happens. If they drill in the areas they already control, and it results in lower gas prices, then reconsider tapping other areas. Hopefully, by that time we will have moved far enough in another direction that it won't be necessary.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm

Songgirl:""Both recent threads regarding oil drilling have come to a standstill when this question is posed.

It reinforces my belief that this renewed push to obtain even more land for drilling is just political posturing and a desperate attempt to sway voters.""

Two of the best posts of this thread .

I asked it , too...I haven't had an answer yet????
Why not?

Why do you suppose the oil companies are NOT using the wells they ALREADY HAVE on land they have already leased????

gee YA THINK THEY'RE SCREWING US JUST FOR MORE PROFITS ?

NAAAAWWWWW! Its' speculation, OPEC, "supply and demand", chipmunks farting....anything but screwing us because they CAN!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Will these deposits yield light sweet crude which is the source of much gasoline and in increasingly short supply and more expensive to get at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections