Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times

Advertisements

Why do religious leaders get involved with politics anyway? True Christians are "in the world but not of the world."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times
Being involved in politics is part of being "in the world" Would you rather christians say "I don't care what happens to America, to hell with it"? There's nothing wrong with anyone offering their viewpoint on issues that affect the wider community--of which christians are a part. That's called Democracy.

That said, I don't think it's wise for evangelical leaders to get too involved with politics. I used to be a big "religious right" guy, but decided that it is better for christians to be christians, than for christians to be pawns of the GOP--which is what many of them became.

As for Dobson...Yeah, I think he's focused too much on politics at the expense of his main work in helping to keep christian families together. This is really unfortunate, because Focus on the Family is a great christian resource for families. But I don't think he's a bad person. I still listen to his show on occaision when he's not talking about politics

Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Being involved in politics is part of being "in the world" Would you rather christians say "I don't care what happens to America, to hell with it"? There's nothing wrong with anyone offering their viewpoint on issues that affect the wider community--of which christians are a part. That's called Democracy.
No, it's being "of the world." "I dont care what happens..." - actually that's a freighted way of expressing what indeed would be the strictly Christian viewpoint.

See Art123's quote above of Obama's explanation of the US political leader's dilemma, which requires him/her to honor democracy over personal values.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM

Default Dobson (et al.)'s Bait and Switch...Don't Be Suckered!

When Dobson gives his political "viewpoint" he's careful to speak not as a pastor but as a person representing a taxpaying group.

"The program [in which Dobson attacked Obama Tuesday] was paid for by a Focus on the Family affiliate whose donations are taxed, Dobson said, so it’s legal for that group to get more involved in politics." - foxnews.com

I dont think Jesus would feel compelled to get so mired in worldly politics that he's have to set up a whole separate affilliate to protect himself in the godless courts, do you?

I think Jesus would have one message and would just preach it. The end.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I dont think Jesus would feel compelled to get so mired in worldly politics that he's have to set up a whole separate affilliate to protect himself in the godless courts, do you?

I think Jesus would have one message and would just preach it. The end.
I totally see your point. You didn't hear Jesus and the Apostles saying "Uphold Roman Family Values! Support Your Roman Governor!" They simply preached the gospel, which was all about a different kingdom.

That said, I still don't see a problem with any constituency (christian included) voting, or offering their voice to the debate about issues that affect the country, state or city they live in.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Why do religious leaders get involved with politics anyway? True Christians are "in the world but not of the world."
The campaign to abolish the British slave trade was pioneered and led by christians, but when their leader, William Wilberforce, first introduced the abolition bill in Parliament, he too was blasted for imposing his "christian" rules on the general population. So christians getting involved in politics isn't always a bad thing.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
That said, I still don't see a problem with any constituency (christian included) voting, or offering their voice to the debate about issues that affect the country, state or city they live in.
What's wrong about is is that these guys pull a bait and switch on Christians (and whomever else they can) - they use their name-recognition as Christian leaders to blather on with their political opinions. And cruelly, they dont remind their listeners "Im only speaking now as James Dobson, Citizen" (or if they do in some legalese, fine-print fashion, they're not overt and forthcoming about it). They use their "Christian" credibility as a tool of persuasion in a completely secular context and I think it's cruel and cynical and self-serving and I think Jesus would think so, too.

quoting the other post, "When Dobson gives his political 'viewpoint' he's careful to speak not as a pastor but as a person representing a taxpaying group.....'The program [in which Dobson attacked Obama Tuesday] was paid for by a Focus on the Family affiliate whose donations are taxed, Dobson said, so it’s legal for that group to get more involved in politics.'"

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
The campaign to abolish the British slave trade was pioneered and led by christians, but when their leader, William Wilberforce, first introduced the abolition bill in Parliament, he too was blasted for imposing his "christian" rules on the general population. So christians getting involved in politics isn't always a bad thing.
You know the story of "Amazing Grace"? That guy got out of the entire market as it were, once he saw the light.

I agree, that Christians if they're going to get involved at all should - must - speak up and act on human rights issues and other key precepts of the New Testament.

edit - update from the wikipedia entry on "Amazing Grace" - "On his slave voyages, he encouraged the sailors under his charge to pray. He also began to ensure that every member of his crew treated their human cargo with gentleness and concern. Nevertheless, it would be another 40 years until Newton openly challenged the trafficking of slaves.[1]""

Oh well.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-25-2008 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: 40 years...well, still.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,873,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Agreed. So why then, does Obama keep pulling in religion??? Why did he give a speach about black fathers in a church????

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
You know the story of "Amazing Grace"? That guy got out of the entire market as it were, once he saw the light.

I agree, that Christians if they're going to get involved at all should - must - speak up and act on human rights issues and other key precepts of the New Testament.
Yes! John Newton's conversion is one of my favorite stories! It sounds like your problem is not that christians get involved at all in politics, but how it is done. And on that, christians need to be extemely careful. A lot of christians have sold out because they weren't careful on that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections