Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post

My first name is Irish, my middle name is Gaelic, and I have a very common Jewish last name.

Both of my parents are Roman Catholics from the northeastern US.
My dad's family is originally German/Polish and my mom's family is Italian, originally from Sicily.
I am a German/Polish/Italian, former Catholic, current Agnostic from the midwest.

No one in my family is Jewish.
No one in my family is Irish/Gaelic.

Quite clearly, names mean absolutely nothing.
Point taken, but you have to see, in your heart of hearts, that the name HUSSEIN will be used against him and you cannot give me a pollyanna look and ask "why?" I don't think it's right and he's not a muslim, his stepdad was and he did live in a primarily Muslim country, but, to me, this means zero.

As being ignorant about Islam, is there a ceremony that Muslims perform in order to be accepted into the fold ... like baptism for Christians? Regardless, when he officially joined his church, I'm sure he was baptized and during that ceremony, I'm sure that he renounced any previous baptisms (we do that in the Catholic Church).

There are many reasons to not support or vote for BO, this Muslim mumbo jumbo is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You must have missed the dozens of times that Obama has made just such a statement. He has stated over and over and over again that he is a Christian and his faith is in Jesus Christ. That is exactly what he has stated so I don't know how he could possibly have made it any clearer. And, in this day and age, half the country has lived in many different places so that is hardly strange and hardly "myth making."
He did not come out and directly say he was not Muslim. Obama as said he was a "Christian" from rural Kansas, when a week previous he elaborated on growing up in Hawaii. If he doesn't be straight with all of us from the start, how can we trust him?

Obama's father was in fact Muslim, and while religion may not be hereditary per se, you cannot deny the fact that parents will try and press their religion, just like every other belief, on their offspring. Don't kid yourself by saying that Obama had zero Muslim influence from his father.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
He did not come out and directly say he was not Muslim. Obama as said he was a "Christian" from rural Kansas, when a week previous he elaborated on growing up in Hawaii. If he doesn't be straight with all of us from the start, how can we trust him?

Obama's father was in fact Muslim, and while religion may not be hereditary per se, you cannot deny the fact that parents will try and press their religion, just like every other belief, on their offspring. Don't kid yourself by saying that Obama had zero Muslim influence from his father.
I don't think he lived a day in his life in Kansas ...

Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
It seems to me these posts and others like them clearly indicate the unbridgeable gulf that has developed between the classes here in the US..... I'm glad I clung to my God and my guns. I think I'm going to need 'em both...........

Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:

I was raised in Georgia and have a Christian father- neither of which has any bearing on my morals now (thank goodness). I also have the WASPy-est name known to man and I am Jewish.

But I guess Obama's father- who abandoned him as a small child- had much more of an influence on him than my father who I lived with for 18 years had on me. Obama's Christian grandparents who raised him from adolescence have no bearing on his character now. Not one bit.

It doesn't matter to me- based on the Muslims I know versus the Christians I know, I certainly would rather have a Muslim president!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times
Quote:

He did not come out and directly say he doesn't eat toads either but that doesn't mean he is secretly hunting and eating toads. If a person says that they are a Christian who worships Jesus Christ, that definately rules out their being a Muslim. Since Obama's dad left him by the time he was two years old, I think his influence was pretty darned limited, don't you?

Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Could you give a link to a quote or audio clip in which he claims to be from Kansas, please?

His mother's father was from Kansas, if that's what you mean.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,100,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Could it be that 12% of the population know better?

The koran says once a muslim always a muslim. It is forbidden to convert or the penalty is death.

Funny how those from that part of the world all call him muslim. Only in America is there any question on the subject.
This is why I am under the belief that religious indoctrination at a young age is akin to child abuse. If it would infact be true that a child could never relinquish themselves from a belief, then why would anyone ever put them through that? Obviously, this is not my logic, but rather, Desertsun's. I, of course, don't believe a child has the ability to choose a religion for him or herself and therefore, it doesn't matter what the Koran says about once a Muslim, always a Muslim. I would also like to know where in the Koran it says that. I'm not saying it doesn't, but I haven't seen it.

Regardless, it's flawed logic from the start.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:09 AM

509 posts, read 692,131 times
What's disturbing is how ignorant some Americans can be.
It show us how our educational system once again has failed.
That same 12% is probably the same number that believe Sadam planned 9/11.
That same 12% praise & worship, spread the gospel Rush Limbaugh He is their god.
That same 12% is also the same that believe George Bush is a good president.

I think we have to face our country has about 12% of its people that are out of tune with reality!
They are sad people with no purpose.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
80% of C-D posters think Obama is already President.
Haha, that's funny and a nice joke , 15 min of fame will soon end IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections