Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
up to date electorial map.....as you can see Palin has made no difference.
Don't you think it's a little early for that prediction?

Here's a much more accurate map;

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

Have you asked yourself why Obama has pulled out of SD,ND,MT,NC, and GA just today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
an economy performs best when there is a healthy substancial middle class.. Obama is not raising taxes on the middle class.. JUST THE WEALTHY.. and is actually cutting taxes for middle class families.. which WILL help the economy....
to just say obama is raising taxes is a bit misrepresenting.. unless you happen to be one of the lucky few that makes over 200K per year.. that is 1 percent of the population...
perhaps fact check and homework is in order before you just salute yourself to mcCain...
Yeah, I guess that depends what your definition of wealthy is. When Clinton was in office, someone who made $50,000 was wealthy. I don't believe for a second that he is not going to raise taxes. He is going to eliminate the tax cuts that Bush has enacted. He is going to raise taxes on small business. Obama WILL raise taxes; he has to to support all his social programs. And not just wealthy, either. And I'm not wealthy - but why should the wealthy pay a disproportionate amount of their income in taxes? Just because they are rich they have to share their money with everyone else? How is that fair?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,985,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I think this election will NOT be close in the end. Obama will win by a considerable margin. The RNC's nightmare will become reality on the evening of Nov 4th.
Well, I think a lot of Republicans fall for the spin of their party. They probably only listen to Hannity or other Fox lightweights. I don't think their lineup of talent is as educated or experienced as CNN or MSNBC, so their listeners get a very one sided presentation.

I think they will be pleasantly surprised when the Obamas take over the White House.

But I think the neocon pundits will just regroup for a new attack years later. What I think is interesting is that so many are not only so white, but also so old. It was funny how the camera during the RNC, would keep returning to the same black faces, trying to make them look more egalitarian. I am not sure that that party will do so well in the future, and I suspect that either the old Conservatives with American values will return or they will split into another party.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:07 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,586,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't you think it's a little early for that prediction?

Here's a much more accurate map;

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

Have you asked yourself why Obama has pulled out of SD,ND,MT,NC, and GA just today?
Its actually the same.. the source you posted just hasnt called some of those states for Obama. But even still Obama is in the lead. I will say that the source I posted was PRETTY accurate in 2004 so I would expect the same accuracy. Again Palin help McCain but really it only energizes the republican base. Not to the level of beating Obama though. People have been underestimating the huge support for Obama. The big crowds show this. When you have 200,000 people coming to see Obama in Germany, that should tell you something.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
This map is the electoral vote. This is if the election were held today. North Dakota is interesting because Bush lead Kerry by almost 30 points there and Obama is leading McCain by 3 points there. Whats also interesting as that Bill Clinton was even behind in North Dakota in the 90s. yet Obama is leading

In order to win the presidency you have to have 270 to win. The map based on today's results have Obama at 301 and McCain at 224. Keep in mind these results are after the "Palin effect"
McCain has an aggregate lead of 5.5 in ND. The Palin Effect is not reflected in any state polls that I have seen. All the polling recently has been national polls.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...mccain/?map=10

Without toss-ups. 273-265 Obama.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM

I will say this....there are going to be alot of people using the "N" word when November 5th gets here.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,341,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
I will say this....there are going to be alot of people using the "N" word when November 5th gets here.
Yeah, NObama!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yeah, I guess that depends what your definition of wealthy is. When Clinton was in office, someone who made $50,000 was wealthy. I don't believe for a second that he is not going to raise taxes. He is going to eliminate the tax cuts that Bush has enacted. He is going to raise taxes on small business. Obama WILL raise taxes; he has to to support all his social programs. And not just wealthy, either. And I'm not wealthy - but why should the wealthy pay a disproportionate amount of their income in taxes? Just because they are rich they have to share their money with everyone else? How is that fair?
Obviously you are not wealthy. You see, when you have money, you can find more places to bury it. There are more tax loopholes that you can take advantage of.

There was a study done once. It looked at tax returns, comparing actual gross incomes with the actual dollars each paid in taxes and it found that the more wealthy you were the less the percentage your actual payment was compared to your gross income.

All loopholes of one sort or another.
So, don't feel sorry for them.
Also, another study which I heard on the tv program 'Your Money' CNN, said the wealthy were actually the least resentful of the taxes they paid.

I guess you can only have so many homes, planes, boats, etc. It is not significant and does not appreciably change their lifestyles.

The poorer you are, the more those higher taxes impact your real life - your neighborhood (and thereby the quality of schools your children go to), where and what you eat, how reliable your car is, how often you use your air conditioning, go to the doctors for checkups, the sort of clubs and associations and activities and vacations your family goes on.

The wealthy don't worry much about such things. It only represents numbers that they get on statements once a month. Life goes on.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM

You want to know how you can tell which candidate is the true agent of change? McCain has lobbiest, Obama has 0

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections