Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,171 times

Advertisements

If McCain and his staff had done their work before hand - we would know all of this stuff. No one really looked into her life until it was too late. He was mad because he couldn't pick Joe Lieberman so just grabbed her out of a hat in the middle of the night.Great decision making skills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:08 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
She was a complete surprise to the left, and they're terrified of her. Her selection threw them into panic mode - and rightfully so. They're grasping and clawing at any shred of anything they can to try to bring her down, because they know that McCain choosing her could turn the Republican ticket into a runaway freight train.
I am on the right, and I'm terrified of her. Call me crazy, but the idea of having someone who shoots animals from a helicopter being a heartbeat away from the button doesn't thrill everyone. Furthermore, I guess in my Repulican fantasy world, I always liked to believe McCain was more of a libertarian type Republican. Palin is a pick that panders. Say that 5 times fast!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:16 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I think its some of both. She has a image that can bring out a certain demographic of people who would vote the other way if she wasn't' brought out. Its a brilliant move by the McCain Camp. Now the problem is what is she about? What makes her qualified besides her image. She is popular and has a good Image, sort of like how Obama came around. What is she brining to the table? How does she balance out the ticket. If she can answers those questions then she will be good to go. You have a lot of white women who are going to vote for her just because and nothing else.
It was a calculating move on McCain's part and has given him a bump, but I am not convinced it was brilliant. It definitely was the one action in his campaign that will win it for him or spell his demise though.
Very risky and irresponsible too IMO.

I'm not sure that women are really going to vote for her just because. Some will, but once Palin's fundamentalist ideals and her extreme pro life stance becomes better known, I think she will lose her connection with more women.

Metaphorically, Hillary attempted to shatter the glass ceiling. Palin is being ushered in through the back door.

I think the general feeling is she needs to earn her way and not have this handed to her, so she is being put through the wringer. As nick stated, only 60 days left to find out what this woman is all about!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,475,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I do not recall a VP candidate being so scrutinized in such short period of time. It seems like every day, there is some new scandal about Palin, her family or things she has done in the past. There was a blogger from DC that made some reference about Palin being a stripper in her 20's (I would assume, this is a LIE). Anyways, is she being scrutinized so harshly because she indeed has some skeletons in her closet or is it simply jealousy and hatred from the opposition? I am really interested in reading your answers.
Of course, nothing like this happened to Obama for months on end....

Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,457,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
People don't feel safe with her potentially being a heartbeat away from the presidency.
Well Nancy Pelosi is the second heartbeat!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
It was a calculating move on McCain's part and has given him a bump, but I am not convinced it was brilliant. It definitely was the one action in his campaign that will win it for him or spell his demise though.
Very risky and irresponsible too IMO.

I'm not sure that women are really going to vote for her just because. Some will, but once Palin's fundamentalist ideals and her extreme pro life stance becomes better known, I think she will lose her connection with more women.

Metaphorically, Hillary attempted to shatter the glass ceiling. Palin is being ushered in through the back door.

I think the general feeling is she needs to earn her way and not have this handed to her, so she is being put through the wringer. As nick stated, only 60 days left to find out what this woman is all about!
I am pro-choice and I love her for what she had done with her time in service!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am on the right, and I'm terrified of her. Call me crazy, but the idea of having someone who shoots animals from a helicopter being a heartbeat away from the button doesn't thrill everyone. Furthermore, I guess in my Repulican fantasy world, I always liked to believe McCain was more of a libertarian type Republican. Palin is a pick that panders. Say that 5 times fast!
Link please for shooting animals from a helicopter please!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie5150 View Post
If McCain and his staff had done their work before hand - we would know all of this stuff. No one really looked into her life until it was too late. He was mad because he couldn't pick Joe Lieberman so just grabbed her out of a hat in the middle of the night.Great decision making skills!
wrong they looked into her 6 months ago she has been properly vetted the media just does not think so because they were not involved like they should be anyways!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I do not recall a VP candidate being so scrutinized in such short period of time. It seems like every day, there is some new scandal about Palin, her family or things she has done in the past. There was a blogger from DC that made some reference about Palin being a stripper in her 20's (I would assume, this is a LIE). Anyways, is she being scrutinized so harshly because she indeed has some skeletons in her closet or is it simply jealousy and hatred from the opposition? I am really interested in reading your answers.

A better question is why not one 'scandal' or alleged transgression has been found to have any basis in fact. Every accusation, smear and lie has been debunked. EVERY ONE!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
I think the general feeling is she needs to earn her way and not have this handed to her
Obviously you are talking about the wife of Monica Lewinsky's former fellatio partner.

Look, the politician's job is to broker power. Objectively speaking, Hillary Clinton failed twice, first in the 1990s in an attempt to pass health care reform, second in 2007-2008 in an attempt to secure the democratic nomination for the presidency. She was handed a safe senate seat in the state of New York, a place, by the way, where she has no other natural business being in.

To be sure, Alaska, in terms of population, is a small state, nevertheless to reach the position of governor from a a relatively modest background, Ms Palin has palpably demonstrated skills at power broking. We will see if she can transpose those skills to the national level.

Finally, for what it's worth, the Bush family, very powerful in US business and politics for three generations now, has a long history of promoting civil rights and implementing noblesse oblige policies, for better and for worse.

To put it another way, the conservatives or republicans or whatever you want to call them are just as skilled, if not more, at placing so-called minorities and women in positions of power: the democrats or liberals or whatever you want to call them are simply jealous and outraged, in their pompous arrogance, that they do not have a monopoly on this skill.

To answer the original question, so much dirt on Palin because human beings are born of dirt and will return to dirt. In the end, she will be judged, politically speaking, on her skills at broking power.

Last edited by bale002; 09-08-2008 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections