Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times

Advertisements

Can any of the resident Republicans explain what has been conservative (other than social) over the last eight years?

Smaller government?

Fiscally?

Foreign policy?

Bush promised all the traditional Republican ideals in 2000, and delivered none of them. Again, we have a Republican candidate making identical assurances to the base in 2008.

Without bringing up Clinton, or calling Obama a Muslim, please explain to me how Bush's policies have embodied conservatism during his time as POTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,674 times
Welcome to American politics. I can only hope that one day we will get an honest candidate.

I wonder if any Republicans will be able to look at this objectively and say, "He lied to us."?

p.s. Obama's a Muslim.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
No doubt the Bush administration, with its bought-off Congress, implemented flaming liberal redistributive policies through its cockamamie monetary policy, at the expense of the productive, and we see its deleterious effects on the economy.

No doubt an eventual Obama administration, which would, in only apparent contrast, be dominated by a hungry and greedy democratic-controlled Congress, would implement flaming liberal redistributive policies through a cockamamie fiscal policy, on top of an already cockamamie monetary policy, which will not change, at the further expense of the productive, and we would see its further deleterious effects on the economy.

Therefore, the change we can believe in is further imbalance of power in the government and more cockamamie economic policies.

With McCain there is a tiny chance, tiny, that at least taxation policy will be left pretty much alone and maybe the increase in spending will be reigned in a little bit.

Either way, we can expect further inflation and further losses in competitiveness in the US economy, no matter what they promise.

Last edited by bale002; 09-08-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No doubt the Bush administration, with its bought-off Congress, implemented flaming liberal redistributive policies through its cockamamie monetary policy, at the expense of the productive, and we see its deleterious effects on the economy.

No doubt an eventual Obama administration, which would, in only apparent contrast, be dominated by a hungry and greedy democratic-controlled Congress, would implement flaming liberal redistributive policies through a cockamamie fiscal policy, on top of an already cockamamie monetary policy, which will not change, at the further expense of the productive, and we would see its further deleterious effects on the economy.

Therefore, the change we can believe in is further imbalance of power in the government and more cockamamie economic policies.

With McCain there is a tiny chance, tiny, that at least taxation policy will be left pretty much alone and maybe the increase in spending will be reigned in a little bit.

Either way, we can expect further inflation and further losses in competitiveness in the US economy, no matter what they promise.
What makes you think that? McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time in 2007, what makes you think this will change once he becomes president?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Why do you think conservatives threw their representatives/senators under the bus in 2006? They are mad as all heck that the republicans have turned into democrat-lite. Maybe with McCain/Palin in the WH that will change.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
nothing has been conservative. nothing has been conservative in washington since the coolidge administration.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why do you think conservatives threw their representatives/senators under the bus in 2006? They are mad as all heck that the republicans have turned into democrat-lite. Maybe with McCain/Palin in the WH that will change.
What makes you think that? McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time in 2007, what makes you think this will change once he becomes president?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I wouldn't call giving a tax break to the rich a liberal policy either.
I have moderate income. Current tax rates attracted me to go into business and keep me in business.

Crack open a spreadsheet and do the math.

If the upcoming Congress wants me to pack it up and haul it off to some third world country, I can accommodate them tomorrow. Tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,723 times
Quote:
I have moderate income. Current tax rates attracted me to go into business and keep me in business.

If the upcoming Congress wants me to pack it up and haul it off to some third world country, I can accommodate them tomorrow. Tomorrow.
Now that is a BAD attitude! See you later then

Old 09-08-2008, 05:59 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,723 times
Quote:

Why are we assuming that tax rates will be going up, maybe spending on the war would go down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections