Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More historic president?
black 41 53.95%
female 35 46.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,777 times

Advertisements

Which do you think would be more historic -- a black or female president?

In my opinion, although Hillary isn't particularly nurturing I think female is more historic because world-wide leadership is male-dominated patriarchical society and opposed to nurturing compassionate ways of leading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 11:49 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,777 times
Maybe this should be moved to a general forum. Does anyone have the ability to do that?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM

70 posts, read 294,128 times
Hmmm. I was talking about this with a friend the other day. I'm sort of in the middle. If either one of them won it would show how drastically this country has changed.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
ABM

339 posts, read 995,408 times
BTW, is mulatto considered Black?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:04 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,269,707 times
ABM - I don't think anyone uses the term mulatto anymore...though people in Louisiana do...not surprisingly! I think most black-white people wouldn't even know what it means...might be offended.

However, I had a friend in college who originally had "Creole" on his birth certificate. At some point later on, probably for reasons of census, it was changed to Black.

So...I think that any indication that someone is partly black means they're black...officially.

What I want to know is whether it's preferable to call someone African-American or Black?

As an Irish-Italian White person I prefer just plain White. That whole Irish-Italian bidness is only useful for geneology. I'm not really cultured that way. My culture is New Orleans.

As for the topic at hand - it's a toss up. I think Blacks got the right to vote before Women did so having a Woman as Prez might be a tiny more historic than Black. And Women of all races have struggled for true equality for much longer than anyone else...but it's a struggle that's often impacted by race....

So...hmm...don't know...

As long as it's one of them!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
ABM

339 posts, read 995,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
My culture is New Orleans.
Dang, way to go!

Just gave me a craving for a Ports O' Call bacon burger slathered with mushrooms..............and a hurricane!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM

You're making me hungry! I just started Nutrisystem and the last thing I need is to dwell on Portocall burger and a hurricane.....*rumble*....

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,328,292 times
The term "black" is fine and less clumsy than saying African American. As a black person, I only use "African American", or Black American, when discussing aspects of culture--especially when I'm trying to distinguish between African Americans or other Americans who happen to be black like Dominicans, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, etc. To make it even more confusing, it's easy and quite common for black immigrants to assimilate into African American culture.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM

AHHHH....I understand...okay...that sounds logical. Kind of like differentiating between Cajuns, Canadians, and French people...all French...just different French.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,042,117 times
Definately a female President would be more historic.
Obama is half white, btw.. and he comes from a fairly privileged background.. growing up in Hawaii and attending elite private schools. (that background hardly mirrors that of most black people in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections