Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times

Advertisements

If Palin is uncomfortable with something as innocuous as Daddy's Roommate being in the library, then I'm not comfortable with her.

Serious question: Why don't these super Christ-y people ever try to ban anything that glorifies war and violence for a change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It doesn't matter whether she banned them or not. If she even suggested that she would ask a librarian to remove what she deemed offensive from a library, she shows that she doesn't understand the ethics of librarianship. She doesn't need to do something as dramatic as banning a book. She crossed the line when she asked that librarian if she would remove a book if the Palin asked her to. She had no business there.
The last time I checked, Libraries were funded by the taxpayers. As a library is one of the most local of taxpayer supported institutions, the local taxpayers have a right as to what types of books are available to the community at large.

I am sure each community has its own ethics and protocol for establishing what is proper for that community and what is not. A librarian needs to work within that framework and not be given free reign to do whatever he/she wants.

If I want to voice my opinion on the appropriateness of what my children can come in contact with in my local library, I as a taxpayer have every right to do so. So should anybody else in this country, no matter what their political or religious viewpoint or if they are under the microscope because they are running for office.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:23 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
"She did not demand that books be banned from the Wasilla library. Some of the books on a widely circulated list were not even in print at the time. The librarian has said Palin asked a "What if?" question, but the librarian continued in her job through most of Palin's first term."

FactCheck.org: Sliming Palin

Nice quote-mining, there. Palin asked on multiple occasions about how to ban books. Either she's dumber than a spawning sockeye or she really doesn't understand the fundamental principles that our country was founded upon. Which is it?

And why is her career filled with coincidences? The librarian was fired for a nebulous cause, then reinstated because of public outcry, all just after the questions were asked. But no, it had nothing to do with banning books! Right.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
If I want to voice my opinion on the appropriateness of what my children can come in contact with in my local library, I as a taxpayer have every right to do so.
And we have the right to laugh at your authoritarian idiocy.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Seriously, you folks just don't get it.

What if Obama had "just asked a question" of the police chief about what the process might be for banning all guns from Illinois? Would you guys let him off the hook?

Would you be defending him: "he just asked the question - no big deal!"

Hypocrites.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
None of that garbage should be in a library.

I prefer a library with well stocked with only "Looking for Waldo" books .

Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The last time I checked, Libraries were funded by the taxpayers. As a library is one of the most local of taxpayer supported institutions, the local taxpayers have a right as to what types of books are available to the community at large.

I am sure each community has its own ethics and protocol for establishing what is proper for that community and what is not. A librarian needs to work within that framework and not be given free reign to do whatever he/she wants.

If I want to voice my opinion on the appropriateness of what my children can come in contact with in my local library, I as a taxpayer have every right to do so. So should anybody else in this country, no matter what their political or religious viewpoint or if they are under the microscope because they are running for office.
All of that is standardized in the United States. Individual communities are not supposed to make the decision to deny users information (not that it doesn't happen, but it is a violation). You have that kind of control over your personal library, not the public library. And GLBTQ people and their allies pay taxes also. There's no reason to deny others access to information because you don't like it.

ALA | Code of Ethics (broken link)

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 09-14-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-14-2008, 08:38 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I agree....neither "Daddy's Boyfriend" nor "Daddy's Girlfriend" is appropriate for an elementary school library. Was this elementary, middle, or high school?
Not a school library, a public library.

The new mayor also tended carefully to her evangelical base. She appointed a pastor to the town planning board. And she began to eye the library. For years, social conservatives had pressed the library director to remove books they considered immoral.

“People would bring books back censored,” recalled former Mayor John Stein, Ms. Palin’s predecessor. “Pages would get marked up or torn out.”

....But in 1995, Ms. Palin, then a city councilwoman, told colleagues that she had noticed the book “Daddy’s Roommate” on the shelves and that it did not belong there, according to Ms. Chase and Mr. Stein. Ms. Chase read the book, which helps children understand homosexuality, and said it was inoffensive; she suggested that Ms. Palin read it.

“Sarah said she didn’t need to read that stuff,” Ms. Chase said. “It was disturbing that someone would be willing to remove a book from the library and she didn’t even read it.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Seriously, you folks just don't get it.

What if Obama had "just asked a question" of the police chief about what the process might be for banning all guns from Illinois? Would you guys let him off the hook?

Would you be defending him: "he just asked the question - no big deal!"

Hypocrites.
Obama has said some things in the past that I really don't appreciate, either. I haven't forgotten all of them. But there is still a difference (I don't mean between Palin and Obama but in general)--if you ask a question with an obvious agenda, not just some innocuous question, you'll be criticized for it by someone for sure. Now, if Obama actually did ask what the process would be for banning all guns from Illinois, I'd say that shows a clear agenda, also, and one that would make a lot of people angry!

There's really no reason to make a blanket statement and call everyone who disagrees with you a hypocrite when there's no way you could know what all they believe.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,524,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
None of that garbage should be in a library.
Books shouldn't be in libraries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections