Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
If I want to voice my opinion on the appropriateness of what my children can come in contact with in my local library, I as a taxpayer have every right to do so.
You have a right to paint your butt green and swing from a chandelier. That doesn't mean people are going to think highly of you for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
All of that is standardized in the United States. Individual communities are not supposed to make the decision to deny users information (not that it doesn't happen, but it is a violation). You have control over your personal library, not the public library.

ALA | Code of Ethics (broken link)
Thanks for the link. You might make an activist out of me. I found this through the link you provided:

Non-obscene But Sexually Explicit and Indecent Expression .-- There is expression, either spoken or portrayed, which is offensive to some but is not within the constitutional standards of unprotected obscenity. Nudity portrayed in films or stills cannot be presumed obscene 58 nor can offensive language ordinarily be punished simply because it offends someone. 59 Nonetheless, government may regulate sexually explicit but non-obscene expression in a variety of ways. Legitimate governmental interests may be furthered by appropriately narrow regulation, and the Court's view of how narrow regulation must be is apparently influenced not only by its view of the strength of the government's interest in regulation, but also by its view of the importance of the expression itself. In other words, sexually explicit expression does not receive the same degree of protection afforded purely political speech.

(Italics mine) There is a right, established by the Court, to limit the freedom of sexual material. Who has the right to say what is ok and what is not? The line will be in a different place with just about every individual out there. But I will draw the line, and have, with my local library over what was available for my children to view. Does that make me an authoritarian? With my own kids you betcha,,,,

Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
I think you'd have a very, very difficult time making a case for that book being deemed "sexually explicit" and "indecent."

Old 09-14-2008, 09:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Shouldn't people who slaughter animals for no reason except to bolster their egoes be undesirable? Some animal is walking around in the prime of its life, and someone just shoots it dead...for sport. What kind of a sport is that? Killing something alive?
Why not take pictures, do photography and admire a beautiful animal for what it is, rather than take it out of the world.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
If Palin is uncomfortable with something as innocuous as Daddy's Roommate being in the library, then I'm not comfortable with her.

Serious question: Why don't these super Christ-y people ever try to ban anything that glorifies war and violence for a change?
Good point.
What about her own daughter getting prego? She rants about abstinence, and then if someone mentions her daughter, it's "wrong"...she should keep quiet then. No one really cares that her daughter is pregnant, we care that she is hypocritical and trying to force her values on us.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Nice quote-mining, there. Palin asked on multiple occasions about how to ban books. Either she's dumber than a spawning sockeye or she really doesn't understand the fundamental principles that our country was founded upon. Which is it?

And why is her career filled with coincidences? The librarian was fired for a nebulous cause, then reinstated because of public outcry, all just after the questions were asked. But no, it had nothing to do with banning books! Right.

Wasn't my cause, lol.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What kind of a sport is that? Killing something alive?
Why not take pictures, do photography and admire a beautiful animal for what it is, rather than take it out of the world.
Uh, for food. You DO get that food in Alaska is VERY expensive because it all has to be shipped in from the contiguous states, right? Or did you think that cows and chickens can thrive in Alaska? Folks of average means hunt to eat.

But that's WAY off-topic. To the topic, she didn't ban any books. So why the uproar about something she never did? Desperation?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You have a right to paint your butt green and swing from a chandelier. That doesn't mean people are going to think highly of you for it.
When it comes to my kids and what they can easily browse at my local library, I don't give a damn how high an opinion you or anyone else has of me. Raising children correctly and winning a popularity contest are not equal priorities on my life's goal list.

However painting my butt green and swinging from a chandelier has moved up a few nothces. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
To the topic, she didn't ban any books. So why the uproar about something she never did? Desperation?
We have a pretty good idea of how she feels about it now. It doesn't matter whether or not she went through the process of attempting to ban anything. No, it is no desperation. As a future librarian, I take this very seriously, and I would be a fool not to.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When it comes to my kids and what they can easily browse at my local library, I don't give a damn how high an opinion you or anyone else has of me. Raising children correctly and winning a popularity contest are not equal priorities on my life's goal list.
Whatever the case, you can't control the real world because you'd rather your children be shielded from it. You have the most control over what goes on in your house. And the local library probably isn't going to remove books because you don't want your children reading them; that's absurd. Don't let your children check them out. Don't try to raise other peoples' children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections