Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
We have a pretty good idea of how she feels about it now. It doesn't matter whether or not she went through the process of attempting to ban anything.
Oh, so you've spoken with Palin personally about this, huh? Or maybe the librarian? Saying you know "how she feels about it" based on third-hand sources is quite lame. If you're going to be a librarian, I sure hope you're not going to help older students with research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Quote:
We have a pretty good idea of how she feels about it now. It doesn't matter whether or not she went through the process of attempting to ban anything.
No you don't. All you "know" is what you've heard on the left-wing blogs. You have no idea how she feels about a particular book since she's never made mention of it. It's just easier and convenient for you to believe an anecdotal story that has no basis in fact. The FACT is, she has never asked to ban any books, and no amount of assuming how she feels will change that.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,488,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Raising children correctly and winning a popularity contest are not equal priorities on my life's goal list.
You're not in a popularity contest. But Governor Palin is.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times
You know what, Ms. Furherette? there is a book in my public library that I would like to see banned...it has gay sex, graphic violence, demonic imagery, hatespeech, and talks about prostitutes, drunks, and the good guys stoning and burning people to death. Ms. Palin...will you ban that book please, because I don't think any good parent would let their child read such trash!.....

Ohh, and the book in question is called "The Old Testament". What's good for the goose....

Old 09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,871,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You're not in a popularity contest. But Governor Palin is.
Maybe so, but the fact that she as a parent has the same values as I do regarding her children makes her much more appealing in my book. I do vote on ideology, not popularity, but in an election, you are right popularity over substance is what a lot of people look at. See who the dems selected for proof of that.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh, so you've spoken with Palin personally about this, huh? Or maybe the librarian? Saying you know "how she feels about it" based on third-hand sources is quite lame. If you're going to be a librarian, I sure hope you're not going to help older students with research!
So you don't give any news sources any credibility? The people in her camp are not denying what was said at the meeting, either. The debate is over whether or not it's important and/or worth discussing. I can't believe anyone wouldn't see it as important, but then some people don't care about books or intellectual freedom.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,143,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No you don't. All you "know" is what you've heard on the left-wing blogs. You have no idea how she feels about a particular book since she's never made mention of it. It's just easier and convenient for you to believe an anecdotal story that has no basis in fact. The FACT is, she has never asked to ban any books, and no amount of assuming how she feels will change that.
Her proponents from Alaska have confirmed the comments. I have watched them. And no, no one (to my knowledge) has any evidence at all that she even began to try to ban any specific books, but like I keep saying, it doesn't matter. No, it isn't "easier" or "convenient." I guess some people feel like they have no stake in any of this, so they just keep supporting the person they like.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,984,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It's just easier and convenient for you to believe an anecdotal story that has no basis in fact.

This coming from the guy who said Obama attended a Muslim madrassa just because he had muslim classmated when he was ten years old living in Indonesia

Whats good for the goose...

Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Quote:
Her proponents from Alaska have confirmed the comments. I have watched them.
Then provide the links. You mean "opponents" right?

Quote:
This coming from the guy
I'm a girl.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
So you don't give any news sources any credibility? The people in her camp are not denying what was said at the meeting, either. The debate is over whether or not it's important and/or worth discussing. I can't believe anyone wouldn't see it as important, but then some people don't care about books or intellectual freedom.
No, I don't give the "news sources" any credibility as reflecting how "someone feels" when they haven't even spoken with the people directly involved. And if you watched CNN's documentary on Sarah Palin, you would have noted that the only one they spoke with about the issue was the former mayor, whom she beat twice. The former mayor even admitted that he was speaking from the POV of one who had sour grapes from losing.

Again, you're basing your comments on THIRD-HAND sources and I may even be generous in calling them third-hand. Very shabby for a "future librarian." Maybe you should take some grad. level English courses if you haven't learned about using acceptable sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections