Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times

Advertisements

Current Reality

It looks to me like right now Sarah Palin is at the pinnacle of her political career. Being the Veep on a losing presidential bid is fairly debilitating to begin with. But the dirt that has been uncovered about Palin, and the way that it's being uncovered (because of the lack of vetting from the McCain campaign), will most likely end her career in short order. She may be able to last out her current term as Alaska's governor. But a politician can rarely survive an examination like Palin's getting.

By itself, Troopergate (and her obstruction attempts) would be enough to sink most politicians. Then there's the lying about the Bridge to Nowhere, which has many in Alaska pissed off. There's the per diem issue. The use of Yahoo for state business. The patronage. The Mat Maid fiasco. The nepotism. Etc. These things don't endear a politician with her constituents.

Alternate Reality

Now, imagine an alternative universe where Palin had publicly turned down McCain. What would have happened? She'd likely have quietly ridden out the Troopergate scandal. A couple of the other issues might have come to light, but she'd have been in control of them. Her approval ratings in Alaska would have remained sky-high. Add to that the credit you'd have to give her for recognizing a doomed effort and gracefully declining. Her constituents would have re-elected her easily. She could have challenged Murkowski for a senate seat in 2010.

And her reputation would have been increased a hundredfold. The up-and-coming star of the GOP! And a woman, too. She could have been groomed and prepped for 2012 or 2016.

She really missed the boat on this one. I guess that's one more reason not to vote for McCain/Palin.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
He would have called her a c**t, no one would be going through the crap we are now with this nonsense and we all would have been the better.

That and he would have picked another woman to pander with.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Maybe he would have got his head out of his bottom and picked a common sense person like Romney (who has proven ability in understanding economics)and gotten my vote instead of pandering to women (who aren't flocking to him.. only the women sheep are) and losing my vote. Live and die by choices. You want to do something stupid and transparent for a vote, lose those with an IQ over 50 that know Palin wasn't/isn't the right choice!!I know... maybe a bridge from Alaska to Hawaii.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
I'm assuming she would have turned him down gracefully and quietly, without damaging publicity. She's smart enough to know that.

But you have pegged McCain's personality.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
If she would have said thanks but no thanks she would end up missing the joys of beating the Dems and all their lying, slandering, and smearing minions in the media, and becoming the first female VP in the US, and first female POTUS candidate in 2012.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
If she had said thanks but no thanks to McCain the Obama campaign may have had something to worry about if there were a qualified running mate.

As it stands, I thank McCain for the gift of Sarah Palin.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
If she would have said thanks but no thanks she would end up missing the joys of beating the Dems and all their lying, slandering, and smearing minions in the media, and becoming the first female VP in the US, and first female POTUS candidate in 2012.
http://www.politicsonline.com/blog/images/2005/rove2.jpg (broken link)

Hi. We must have never met.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
...the Veep on a losing presidential bid...
I missed the election?

Look, the Dems should have had a slam dunk this election season. The fact that it's even a race (Gallup has Obama up by 2% [inside the margin of error]- 47/45) is enough to indicate that they chose the wrong candidate.

I'm not making predictions about who's going to win. I think it's going to be very close, and we're still about 7 weeks away - a lot can happen in that time. I do think that the same sense of entitlement that cost the Dems the election in '00 and especially in '04 could very well cost them the election this year, too.

The Dems seem to take way too many things for granted. It ain't over, guys - you have no landslide victory ahead of you. If Obama wins, it's going to be very close. If you want to ensure victory, you should be out there hitting the bricks and trying to recruit votes, instead of smugly acting as if you've already won. Another user in these forums knows this - golfgod - and does the grunt work that so many of you apparently think is unnecessary.

Last edited by swagger; 09-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.