Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times

Advertisements

While McCain is following orders and deflecting attention from the bailout...what IS happening in Washington?
A bailout will send this country into a downward spiral that we can't stop.

They use the bailout like they used 9/11....give us all your money or TERRIBLE things will happen!!!!! Oh, that sounds more like a common thief! But THIS thief isn't common and more dangerous than any thug with a gun.

But I haven't heard what exactly WILL happen if we don't bail out these incredibly rich people....what?

One very obvious thing is that WE don't go deeper into debt.

The next thing maybe that the UBER wealthy won't be able to streal more of our money to make more profits....and don't give me that trickle down crap.

I really don't believe there's many politicians really involved in this besides Rove....I think it's people whose names we don't even know.

I think the bailout will destroy America.

Agree or Don't agree.....but shouldn't this situation be explored and investigated? Or is that, considering the origins and backers, impossible.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,997,359 times
I wonder this myself. Perhaps I'm terribly naive about this, but why don't these mega rich CEOs and such start coughing up their own cash to save their own companies? I'm sure they've got loads in the bank (or wherever they've got their money hiding).

Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I wonder this myself. Perhaps I'm terribly naive about this, but why don't these mega rich CEOs and such start coughing up their own cash to save their own companies? I'm sure they've got loads in the bank (or wherever they've got their money hiding).
Oh, no, you don't understand - they need money for at least 100 lifetimes.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Naive? Hardly, excellent, pointed and terribly inconvenient question for the powers that be!!!!

Maybe we should email our Senators and representatives and ASK??????

Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I guess people don't care....McCain has done his job of deflecting from a real issue.....

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,946 times
If they go along with this bailout they are either too stupid to represent us or too corrupt.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If they go along with this bailout they are either too stupid to represent us or too corrupt.
Let me add to your very perceptive list....

...lied to

...deceived

...not really the ones in controll

...on the side of the uber wealthy(no choice for them there)

This bailout will destroy America....

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former General Electric Co (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jack Welch said the U.S. economy faces a deep downturn in coming quarters, and he supports a proposed $700 billion government rescue package for the financial sector.

"I now believe we are in for one hell of a deep downturn," Welch told the World Business Forum in New York on Wednesday, adding that the first quarter of 2009 will likely be "brutal."

Until recently, Welch said, he had believed the U.S. economy could avoid recession, but he has changed his mind.

"I am now caving," he said. "Get ready for real tough times. They're coming. There is no credit available."

Jack Welch says U.S. faces deep downturn | Reuters

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former General Electric Co (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jack Welch said the U.S. economy faces a deep downturn in coming quarters, and he supports a proposed $700 billion government rescue package for the financial sector.

"I now believe we are in for one hell of a deep downturn," Welch told the World Business Forum in New York on Wednesday, adding that the first quarter of 2009 will likely be "brutal."

Until recently, Welch said, he had believed the U.S. economy could avoid recession, but he has changed his mind.

"I am now caving," he said. "Get ready for real tough times. They're coming. There is no credit available."

Jack Welch says U.S. faces deep downturn | Reuters
This Jack Welch?
"In the final full year with the company, Welch earned more than $16 million. The retirement agreement provides him with an annual pension of more than $9 million a year and a health and life insurances. As a consultant to the company, he is paid $86,535 for his first 30 days of work each year, plus $17,307 for each additional day. GE provides him with financial planning services to manage his fortune, which is estimated at nearly $1 billion.

Well, I guess if, as his wife testified, she couldn't live on $35,000 per month, tough times are indeed ahead for the rest of us.
Compensation package tarnishes Welch's image - Marketplace

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This Jack Welch?
"In the final full year with the company, Welch earned more than $16 million. The retirement agreement provides him with an annual pension of more than $9 million a year and a health and life insurances. As a consultant to the company, he is paid $86,535 for his first 30 days of work each year, plus $17,307 for each additional day. GE provides him with financial planning services to manage his fortune, which is estimated at nearly $1 billion.

Well, I guess if, as his wife testified, she couldn't live on $35,000 per month, tough times are indeed ahead for the rest of us.
Compensation package tarnishes Welch's image - Marketplace
yea poor little fella - estimated nw $720 million. Or at least, was.

I admit it took me a minute to find that article as I kept typing in "Jack Walsh," the name of a much more interesting character, unfortunately fictional.

Midnight Run (1988)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections