Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 06:22 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,513,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Where do you get the impression that McCain will be good for Jobs? He is Part of the reason why your hard eraned money is now being given to Bail out Wall Street. He wants to give across the board tax cuts, which again will benefit the rich. He wants to find money by freezing payments that will only hurt middle America. He is going to carry on with a hugely expensive war that cannot be won because as soon as troop levels go down, the terrorists will return, then McCain will use a surge again. Remember he said we will be in Iraq for 100 years. So tell me how McCain is going to help America? He will HAVE TO increase taxes to pay for his schemes.
For one reason, if you lower taxes you increase jobs. That is just how it works. Again if you increase taxes that will make companies to leave the US to other countries with lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,652,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Read post 185....you are a bit off on your analysis
You're welcome to your opinion.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,325,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You're welcome to your opinion.
Facts are not opinion....you can chose not to listen, you can spin them but you can not dispute them.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,513,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walksalone View Post
You might want to explain the difference between a fiscal conservative and a conservative because I am confident MANY have no clue. Heck, many can't tell the difference between sounding presidential and actually being presidential.
Well since nobody comes to explain it I will...
2 types of republicans, conservative, fiscal conservative, and of course both.
Usually when you say conservative is almost always talking about social conservative(homosexuals, abortions, etc.)
Fiscal Conservative, is only about fiscal(mainly money), fiscal conservatives are strong capitalist. They think capitalism is the best way and the american way. Small government, more freedom.
And then we have republicans that are both.
I am an active member of the republican party(I actually even volunteer for McCain campaign).
I am not a conservative, but I am a extreme fiscal conservative just like Rudy Giuliani. I dont like the extreme right(social) but I just hate extreme left

Old 09-27-2008, 06:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,423,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
The Fannie/Freddie blame game is fairly weak considering the majority of toxic loans involved in the current mess were not FHA mortgage products, the subprime loan exposure for Fannie & Freddie was minimal.
WTF does Fannie/Freddie and FHA have to do with each other? Fannie/Freddie have little to no involvement with FHA-- ever.

Fannie and Freddie didn't do subprime... However, what they did do was what's called "Expanded Approval" (Fannie was "EA"; Freddie used "LP") which changes what should be subprime into prime.

You don't know anything about this stuff. You should stop.

Quote:
points out, a “subprime borrower is basically someone whose credit wasn’t good enough to qualify for a Fannie- or Freddie-backed mortgage”. The subprime market & the really toxic stuff—was always dominated by Wall Street and Wall Street-backed lenders."[1]
Sounds great until you come to discover that F&F had been changing their guidelines more and more to take on riskier loans.

Before they went bad-- before they redefined prime-- you couldn't have delinquent accounts, etc. However, I believe in response to the CRA, besides giving bonuses for approving bad loans, they allowed delinquents, judgments, etc. to stay on the credit report. As a matter of fact, it really went down hill after S190 was shot down.

Quote:
Senator McCain wasn't fighting to reform the GSE's and his statements have been broadly taken out of context for political reason's. He was responding to accounting oversight and issues within the GSE's at the time. He always been a deregulator and his consistent support of deregulation leaves him in the unenviable postition of one who has to fight his record in order to promote himself for political expediency.
Actually, of the portions of S190 I've read, he was supporting a bill that would have shut down the practices that were leading to the collapse.

Again, I was there. I was getting the bonuses and being told by management to keep my mouth shut when I was asking "What's going to happen when these people default and the bubble deflates?"

You do not know a thing about the mortgage industry and you demonstrate it every time you post on the subject.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,034,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
For one reason, if you lower taxes you increase jobs. That is just how it works. Again if you increase taxes that will make companies to leave the US to other countries with lower taxes.
Yeah.. like that has happened in the last 8 years.

Just like.. if the corporations make more they'll "trickle it down" to the rest of us right? That's why salaries have been stagnant for so long.

The ONLY thing that "trickles down" is the company losses!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:01 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,159,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. like that has happened in the last 8 years.

Just like.. if the corporations make more they'll "trickle it down" to the rest of us right? That's why salaries have been stagnant for so long.

The ONLY thing that "trickles down" is the company losses!
I am middle class and have been waiting to be trickled on for 28 years (ever since Reagan). I have been trickled on, but not with money....

Old 09-27-2008, 07:08 PM

26,339 posts, read 49,351,011 times
I think Obama came off better.

McCain took too many cheap shots with that repeated crap about "you don't understand" which is typical deliberate Rovian attack ad stuff. It made John McCain look like an amateur with nothing to offer but low blows and cheap shots. Of course, McCain pandered to knee-jerk flag-wavers by citing his POW status at the end (GOP Campaign How-To Handbook: when in doubt, wave the flag, thump a bible and millions of idiots will grovel at your feet). By the end of the night McCain stood alone, in the political gutter. (Yes yes yes yes yes yes we DO respect the wartime history of JM, but he shamelessly trots that out way TOO much and I wish he'd give it a break, we aren't refighting the Vietnam War here. Move on.)

Obama acted presidential, refined, dignified, and maintained a professional demeanor the whole time. Obama ignored the mud that McCain flung and by the end of the night Obama stood alone on the high ground. He's going to be a FINE President.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,086,223 times
Quote:
Obama acted presidential, refined, dignified, and maintained a professional demeanor the whole time.
Did that include raising his hand constantly like a little boy to the moderator to make the pounding stop? Or the stuttering, stammering and interupting? Mac definitely had him rattled - hence his resorting to mentioning the stupid youtube of Mac singing "bomb,bomb,Iran". That was such a fine retort to the barrage by Mac about his naviete and his lack of knowledge.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,935,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Did that include raising his hand constantly like a little boy to the moderator to make the pounding stop? Or the stuttering, stammering and interupting? Mac definitely had him rattled - hence his resorting to mentioning the stupid youtube of Mac singing "bomb,bomb,Iran". That was such a fine retort to the barrage by Mac about his naviete and his lack of knowledge.
There were several instances where Obama attempted to rebut McCain but out of respect for the moderator he let it go and allowed Jim to continue leading the debate.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with raising your hand. People in college, graduate school, and the highest academic settings do it all the time. It demonstrates respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections