Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who won the 1st Presidential Debate
McCain 124 32.04%
Obama 194 50.13%
It was a tie 69 17.83%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,072,631 times

Advertisements

If the consensus in the media is that it is a tie, you know Mac won, big. He mopped the floor with obama lastnight, showing what a naive, dangerous, lightweight he truly is.

Look how many times obama said Mac was right - even CNN noticed that. His contant interupting and putting up his hand to Leherer in an effort to stop the pounding was hilarious.

He was out of his league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,460,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
His contant interupting and putting up his hand to Leherer in an effort to stop the pounding was hilarious.

He was out of his league.
You're right, Obama isn't the liar McCain is, Leherer should have allowed Obama to stop McShame in his tracks.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,367,191 times
It's clear from this poll and the outrageous comments that there are lots more Dems than Republicans in this board AND that they are not living in reality and will lie about and spin anything. No way Obama won last night. He looked like a little lost boy and McCain commanded the stage.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,031,856 times
Alot of his answers, particulary in the beginning of the debate..did not speak to me as a middle American. All it did was try to sound as if he was going to "help" the middle class when all he's really about is the same trickle down economic policies that have failed this nation miserably for the last 8 years.

And.. he likes to say we're "winning" in Iraq... I'ts not a win at all.. as soon as we pull out that country will be no better or no worse off then before we were there.. Obama showed us exactly WHY it isn't a win.. Iran is stronger, Afghan is a mess, we've lost 4,000 men and woman adn we've spent billions.. nearing a Trillion, for a war we shouldn't be in in the first place. If that is a win, I'd hate to see what they call a loss.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 AM

658 posts, read 1,790,159 times
It was a tie. I thought neither candidate did a great job, and was extremely disappointed that they could not address the current economic crisis better.

Both seemed to make some gaffe's, but nothing serious. Obama called McCain, John and McCain misprounced a PM's name.

The one thing that annoyed me to know end what that Obama kept saying "You're right John". The point of the debate is distinguish yourself from the opposition, not to be cordial to each other. On that aspect, I think McCain was able to be more effective than Obama.

However; I felt McCain seemed much more tense and almost irritated to be at the debates. His mannerisms and body language make he look like a frustrated old man. Obama on the other hand, was much more relaxed on the whole.

Overall, I don't think this debate was won by anyone as there was not much talk about future progress at all.

The real interesting debate is to see how Palin will be against Biden. Given her recent interviews, this will be entertaining to say the least.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's clear from this poll and the outrageous comments that there are lots more Dems than Republicans in this board AND that they are not living in reality and will lie about and spin anything. No way Obama won last night. He looked like a little lost boy and McCain commanded the stage.

LOL, almost every poll out there is giving the debate win to Obama. The only one not grounded in reality is you!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,511,035 times
I think people just dont understand...
Do you really think Obama is not going to raise taxes?
Lets say is true, do you think raising business taxes(when we have the second highest in the world) is a good idea.. you really dont think this will affect the 95% of the people?
What about Capital gain taxes, that Obama want also to raise?
What 95% of the people dont have capital gain?
Right now is 15% under Obama is 28%, that means, if you sell a house, stocks, anything, you have to pay tax.
I guess 95% of the people dont have houses.
Anyone here has Hedge Funds?
But lets go back to the no tax increase to the 95% of the people, and why this is only a myth.
Even if he doesnt increase tax, they will pay for it some way or another. How?
Lets say I have a Pizza rest. and my profit is 250k, meaning Obama is going to increase my tax. So what do you think I am going to do? I have only 3 option
1. Increase the price of my pizza
2. Let go one of my workers
3. Both

This is only a simple way to put it, but at the end all tax is pass down. Same thing for big company, if a company made 100m last year and now made 95m because of tax increase, do you think they are not going to do anything? Again only 3 options.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 AM

18,112 posts, read 27,611,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
How can you go Republican after such a bad 8 years? I guess you like sadomasochism.
This is the mentality from the Left that still baffles me; you paint this picture that woe is me and the big bad World right now and don't even begin to count any of your blessings (oh, sorry to the many athiests out there, but I'm not going to feel sorry for or ashamed in my reliance and Faith in GOD because of you) and to put all of the blame in the world and all the sick puppies on W. I also don't buy that these times are so bad or much worse than what they faced 80 and 90 years ago. We just have a media now that stares at things and they are about 95% on your side, in fact, they may have created your perception of crisis. It's the nature that the quarterback gets all the credit and all the blame.

Then you buy this silly campaign slogan that McCane=W=McSane. It's retarded and immature. Sorry, I'm not drinking that Kool-aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I think people just dont understand...
Do you really think Obama is not going to raise taxes?
Lets say is true, do you think raising business taxes(when we have the second highest in the world) is a good idea.. you really dont think this will affect the 95% of the people?
What about Capital gain taxes, that Obama want also to raise?
What 95% of the people dont have capital gain?
Right now is 15% under Obama is 28%, that means, if you sell a house, stocks, anything, you have to pay tax.
I guess 95% of the people dont have houses.
Anyone here has Hedge Funds?
But lets go back to the no tax increase to the 95% of the people, and why this is only a myth.
Even if he doesnt increase tax, they will pay for it some way or another. How?
Lets say I have a Pizza rest. and my profit is 250k, meaning Obama is going to increase my tax. So what do you think I am going to do? I have only 3 option
1. Increase the price of my pizza
2. Let go one of my workers
3. Both

This is only a simple way to put it, but at the end all tax is pass down. Same thing for big company, if a company made 100m last year and now made 95m because of tax increase, do you think they are not going to do anything? Again only 3 options.
Very good points here. I don't understand why many people don't get or question this.

I'm not going to tax you, I'm gonna tax the rich. And give to the poor.

Well, he didn't say this but I did see his plan vs McCane. It still doesn't describe exactly what's gonna happen if he's given the chance. Candidates promise all of this, but we only get that.

It'd be wonderful if a candidate could deliver all of his ideas and dreams, but then reality happens.

Look at all of the people who hate W. He's obviously a bafoon when he speaks and looks so stupid and confused under pressure. But are you so naive to think he pulled all of the strings and is all evil? I'd say no matter what, he did the best he could. Stuff happened early for him and his adversaries jumped right on the conspiracy bandwagon. Look at the way W looked 8 years ago and look at him now. Look at his forehead. The dude looks like he's aged 25 years.

McCain is battle tested and I truly think he can handle it, more than ever now. Obama is really a likeable guy. He is charismatic and smart. He's 47. He'll have his time very soon. He may possibly win this election, but I doubt it. It's no longer an "Obama Landslide" that I thought it might be. I'd like to see us put aside the slamming the other party to pump up and justify our own. But I'm quite sure we're not even ready for that.

Politics is showing to be more immature and petty than sports. My HS team won last night. I think I'll go enjoy some college and pro ball for the rest of the weekend, oh... and some yard work. I just wish two parties could come together or something; maybe have one president from one party take care of the economic and domestic policies, and the other to take care of the military and foreign affairs, and both of them to come together and babysit those punks in Congress.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-27-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: add

Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,796,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Okay... CD people harmoniously consider Applebee's a "great night out" and drive Toyota Prius's. The women on here are notoriously activist and probably have multiple cats and eat ice cream by themselves at night. The men on here are mostly wimps.

CD is by no means a bellweather for predicting the election...
Sorry, sushi , multiple dogs, and an SUV

I thought both candidates did well on the issues, there were no really cringe-inducing moments from either. I thought Sen. Obama spoke very well and that he kept the 'rambling' to a minimum. On pure body language, I give the evening to Sen. Obama. Sen. McCain appeared very defensive to me and somewhat condescending.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 AM

439 posts, read 1,260,206 times
God I hate to say it because I will be voteing for Obama, but Mcsane won imo by a tiny margin. I was so mad that Obama didn't cut him off at the knees when Mcsane got in so many digs. It was like watching Kerry all over again. He needs to grow a pair, he is fighting crazy pubs after all. The next 2 debates hs needs to clean his clock or we might lose again.

Debbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections