Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times

Advertisements

Unless you want to give him points for just showing up, no, I don't think McCain was the obvious winner. He looked defensive all night, no doubt feeling a little embarrassment over his behavior the previous days, and while I don't think Obama hit it out of the park, he gets the 'win' from me based on his obvious knowledge of the subject matter and his body language - he looked very confident and 'presidential' to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Please worry about English politics, your opinions mean nothing to us Americans. Lets talk about Blair, shall we?
Hey...I just moved back to the US last year after living in England for several years. The poster may be an American living in England (we do have Americans living all over the globe you know), or married to an American, or just a concerned citizen of the world. US policies do affect people in other countries. Every poster has a right to their opinions...and when you post such negative crap I'm thinking that many readers will start ignoring your posts.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 AM

532 posts, read 909,405 times
Quote:
Please worry about English politics, your opinions mean nothing to us Americans. Lets talk about Blair, shall we?
Ignore this douchebag. Your opinions mean a lot to some of "us Americans." Some of us want strong international relations. Some of us don't have the delusion that the USA is the only country on the planet. Some of us think we will be stronger together than apart. I'm about as American as you can be (unless you count Native Americans)- my ancestors came over on the Mayflower. And believe me- We Are Not All Like This A-Hole.

This is one of the main reasons I want Barack Obama as president. Even if he doesn't accomplish anything else, he can prove to the world that we aren't a bunch of backwoods, illiterate bullies who want to mow over everyone in the world on a quest to own the biggest SUV. He can repair some of the damage W has done to our international relationships.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself, or better yet, don't post at all. You have no idea where this person comes from, for one thing. For another, you make "us Americans" look ignorant.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,985,238 times
Quote:
STOP giving the rest of us Americans a bad reputation. The majority of Americans (or at least the ones I choose to associate with) do care about the opinions of people elsewhere, and people with provincial attitudes such as yours should be ignored.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Could be an American citizen working in England. By your reasoning, I suppose all those service people stationed in Iraq and other places should only worry about the politics of wherever they are stationed? Interesting,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Hey...I just moved back to the US last year after living in England for several years. The poster may be an American living in England (we do have Americans living all over the globe you know), or married to an American, or just a concerned citizen of the world. US policies do affect people in other countries. Every poster has a right to their opinions...and when you post such negative crap I'm thinking that many readers will start ignoring your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
Ignore this douchebag. Your opinions mean a lot to some of "us Americans." Some of us want strong international relations. Some of us don't have the delusion that the USA is the only country on the planet. Some of us think we will be stronger together than apart. I'm about as American as you can be (unless you count Native Americans)- my ancestors came over on the Mayflower. And believe me- We Are Not All Like This A-Hole.

This is one of the main reasons I want Barack Obama as president. Even if he doesn't accomplish anything else, he can prove to the world that we aren't a bunch of backwoods, illiterate bullies who want to mow over everyone in the world on a quest to own the biggest SUV. He can repair some of the damage W has done to our international relationships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Speak for yourself, or better yet, don't post at all. You have no idea where this person comes from, for one thing. For another, you make "us Americans" look ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
STOP giving the rest of us Americans a bad reputation. The majority of Americans (or at least the ones I choose to associate with) do care about the opinions of people elsewhere, and people with provincial attitudes such as yours should be ignored.

Cheers to all sticking up for my british compatriate! I for one, am married to an American, and am moving back with her early next year, so yes it does matter!! Even if you have nothing to do with the US election.. the next President will shape policy that will effect everywhere. The 2 candidates have a stark difference in their approach to foreign policy, and I don't think anyone can argue that the current financial crisis in the US isn't have a huge impact abroad.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,708,428 times
Either Obama or McCain is going to be the next leader of the western world.
It's in every freedom loving citizens interest to have a leader who is prepared to talk to so called rogue states. including Iran, after all the US negotiated with North Korea who were supplying nuclear materials to Iran and anyone else who wanted them.

There's an old saying, keep your friends close & your enemies closer, McCain should know that.

I have nothing against Americans, I admire & respect most of them, they have been good friends to us when we needed help, and we've tried to respond when America needed Britain.
And If you want to talk about Tony Blair djournalist what do you want to know?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times
Default Interesting topic

No. Senator McCain wasn't the obvious winner and anyone who has followed this election cycle should have expected he wouldn't be. His candidacy this year is a 180 degree turn from the prior one, and so the kindling is stacked in his opponents favor whether they discuss issues directly or not. Senator McCain's opponents need only remember three things - Where they stand, where Senator McCain stood, and where he stands today.

Senator Obama doesn't have to win or beat Senator McCain in these debates, he just needs to facilitate Senator McCain's battle with himself.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,741,179 times
Actually the polls said he lost - that McCain is afraid to look at Obama

Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,450,722 times
Default Was McCain the obvious winner?

No, not at all.

Let me explain that I didn't watch Friday's debate. I was on the road, so I listened to it on the car radio. It seemed very even to me. I doubt that either candidate swayed many undecideds to his side. It seemed like McCain's favorite phrase was "Senator Obama doesn't understand..." To which Obama never took the bait, and he probably should have made some sort of snappy reply along the lines of "Disagreement with your position doesn't imply misunderstanding."

From what I've read today, the polls show that Obama came out ahead. And that should be a big concern for McCain, since foreign policy is supposed to be his strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections