Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,687 times

Advertisements

Ayers/Obama

(from CNN fact check)

1. Obama's Chicago home is in the same neighborhood where Ayers and Dohrn live.
2. Ayers and Obama worked with the non-profit Chicago Annenberg Challenge on a huge school improvement project.
3. 1999 through 2001 both were board members on the Woods Fund, a charitable foundation
4. Ayers hosted a campaign event for Obama's initial run for Illinois state Senate.

As an identified '60s radical, I suspect (to the point of certainty) that Ayers hasn't made a truly private phone call since he resurfaced in 1980. I imagine FBI surveillance over the years would have turned up plenty of dirt on the Ayers/Obama relationship if there were any.

Keating/McCain:

1. McCain and Keating had become personal friends following their initial contacts in 1981, and McCain was the closest socially to Keating of the five senators.
2. Between 1982 and 1987, McCain had received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and his associates. In addition, McCain's wife Cindy McCain and her father Jim Hensley had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators.
3. McCain, his family, and their baby-sitter had made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay.
4. McCain did not pay Keating (in the amount of $13,433) for some of the trips until years after they were taken, when he learned that Keating was in trouble over Lincoln.

Because of these connections, Phoenix New Times in 1989 stated McCain was the "most reprehensible" of the five and had financial connections that the other Senators did not have to Keating.

Uhhhh, I think it's as clear as DAY which one is worse and will hurt whom. Bad mistake McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Ayers/Obama

(from CNN fact check)

1. Obama's Chicago home is in the same neighborhood where Ayers and Dohrn live.
2. Ayers and Obama worked with the non-profit Chicago Annenberg Challenge on a huge school improvement project.
3. 1999 through 2001 both were board members on the Woods Fund, a charitable foundation
4. Ayers hosted a campaign event for Obama's initial run for Illinois state Senate.

As an identified '60s radical, I suspect (to the point of certainty) that Ayers hasn't made a truly private phone call since he resurfaced in 1980. I imagine FBI surveillance over the years would have turned up plenty of dirt on the Ayers/Obama relationship if there were any.

Keating/McCain:

1. McCain and Keating had become personal friends following their initial contacts in 1981, and McCain was the closest socially to Keating of the five senators.
2. Between 1982 and 1987, McCain had received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and his associates. In addition, McCain's wife Cindy McCain and her father Jim Hensley had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators.
3. McCain, his family, and their baby-sitter had made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay.
4. McCain did not pay Keating (in the amount of $13,433) for some of the trips until years after they were taken, when he learned that Keating was in trouble over Lincoln.

Because of these connections, Phoenix New Times in 1989 stated McCain was the "most reprehensible" of the five and had financial connections that the other Senators did not have to Keating.

Uhhhh, I think it's as clear as DAY which one is worse and will hurt whom. Bad mistake McCain.
Not from what I am reading in this forum. Obama is being childish for bringing this up from what people are saying. Yeah right!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,084 times
It really has me shaking my head...how can some posters on here not see that Obama has NOTHING to do with Ayers' past activities? Senator Obama has done nothing "shady"...John McCain has. How could anyone trust McCain in the White House, especially at this critical time in our history?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Everyone with a brain knows it's just a distraction, but the Republican strategists know that distractions work well on these folks - as long as they're based in fear and resentment - and they rely on the folks to never, ever think for themselves.

Think these people are suddenly going to change? It's worked this far and it'll keep working.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,847,153 times
McCain was “in the middle of” the Keating Five case in the sense that he was “exonerated."

The Senate Ethics Committee lawyer, Robert Bennett (a Democrat) who investigated McCain, was a guest on “Hannity and Colmes” in February, 2008.

He stated:

“First, I should tell your listeners I’m a registered Democrat, so I’m not on (McCain’s) side of a lot of issues. But I investigated John McCain for a year and a half, at least, when I was special counsel to the Senate Ethics Committee in the Keating Five. ... And if there is one thing I am absolutely confident of, it is John McCain is an honest man. I recommended to the Senate Ethics Committee that he be cut out of the case, that there was no evidence against him.”

Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,841,173 times
I ate lunch at a restaurant that was frequented by Ted Bundy in the 80s- does that make me an associate of a serial killer?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
McCain was “in the middle of” the Keating Five case in the sense that he was “exonerated."

The Senate Ethics Committee lawyer, Robert Bennett (a Democrat) who investigated McCain, was a guest on “Hannity and Colmes” in February, 2008.

He stated:

“First, I should tell your listeners I’m a registered Democrat, so I’m not on (McCain’s) side of a lot of issues. But I investigated John McCain for a year and a half, at least, when I was special counsel to the Senate Ethics Committee in the Keating Five. ... And if there is one thing I am absolutely confident of, it is John McCain is an honest man. I recommended to the Senate Ethics Committee that he be cut out of the case, that there was no evidence against him.”
Just because he wasn't ruled "as bad" as the others by that particular committee doesnt make it right to try to pressure regulators to favor your "friend", whose favors you were happy to take for years. Of course Keating was flying the McCains around in his plane, etc. not for love but for political influence, which he was getting - until McCain got caught. But when the light was shined on the crooked congressmen and they all began scuttling for cover, McCain promptly abandoned Keating like the stand-up guy he is. He weaseled and spun and squirmed instead of standing up and defending his strictly-honorable actions as a strictly-honorable man - a war hero dontcha forget now - would never have thought twice about doing.

That business of "it was a learning experience," blinking like Bambi in dismay - how stupid does he think you are?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:43 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,922,642 times
the ayers connection either way is not going to be the dealbreaker for obama, but the sum total of his past and present associations may be considered. having the most liberal record in the senate is more of an issue for most americans. the appointments that a president makes can make or break the direction of the country and having good judgement as a president is certainly to be considered. obama cannot keep saying, "that was a boneheaded mistake".

Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,089,373 times
Good posts....I'm really shocked that the repug bots on this site haven't came charging in on this thread with their mindless drivel yet.Refreshing.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I ate lunch at a restaurant that was frequented by Ted Bundy in the 80s- does that make me an associate of a serial killer?
Only if you run for political office. Then you would be an accomplice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections