Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.

A little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high.
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon.
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.
4) The DOW JONES hit a record high -- 14,000 +
5) American's were buying new cars,taking cruises, vacations overseas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic Congress and yes -- we got 'CHANGE' all right.
So, that new congress made some great changes to make 2007 a banner year, huh?

Quote:
In the PAST YEAR:

1) Consumer confidence has plummeted ;
2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);
4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;
5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
6) As I write, THE DOW is probing another low ~ $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

YES, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE...AND WE SURE GOT IT! ....

REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT HAS NO CONTROL OVER ANY OF THESE ISSUES, ONLY CONGRESS.

AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

NOW THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO REALLY GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS!!!!

JUST HOW MUCH MORE 'CHANGE' DO YOU THINK YOU CAN STAND???

I received this from friends of mine who wanted me to pass it along.

Oh, wait...

I know!

It's all Clinton's fault!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In the PAST YEAR:

1) Consumer confidence has plummeted ;
2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);
4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;
5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
6) As I write, THE DOW is probing another low ~ $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

I received this from friends of mine who wanted me to pass it along.
You need to do a little research before passing things on from "friends." To start, try researching Toll Brothers, Inc, a high end building company, which is currently the object of a class action lawsuit. In 2005, the company lost billions of stakeholders' dollars.

"Specifically, the complaint alleges that defendants made a series of false and misleading [b][b]statements indicating that Toll Brothers’ business model, which was based on developing expensive homes for a niche market of high-end buyers, was unique and thus immune from the adverse impact of rising interest rates and other negative macro-economic factors that appeared to be negatively impacting the home-building industry during 2004 and 2005. As the truth was revealed to investors, including the deteriorating state of demand for Toll Brothers’ homes, its constrained and shrinking number of active selling communities, the insufficient inventory of lots for Toll Brothers to achieve 20% net income growth in 2006 and 2007, and the actual adverse impact of rising interest rates and negative macro-economic trends on traffic to Toll Brothers communities and demand for its homes and thus its future prospects, Toll Brothers stock plummeted, falling from its $58.25 per share Class Period high in July 2005 to as low as $33.72 per share on November 9, 2005, a 42% drop."

http://securities.stanford.edu/1037/TOL_01/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections