Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
That was a horrible moment in history. And it would be significantly worse if such a thing were to happen now. People on both sides are much more worked up about this election. Also, people in general are at a breaking point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,865,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
That was a horrible moment in history. And it would be significantly worse if such a thing were to happen now. People on both sides are much more worked up about this election. Also, people in general are at a breaking point.
totally agree.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,426,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
McCain pals that are CONVICTED FELONS - Jim Hensley, Charles Keating, G. Gordon Liddy, Ollie North
Obama pals that are CONVICTED FELONS - 0

Lol, stick around, Obama is a LOT younger than McCain, and has managed to make friends with:

Rezko, Auchi, AYERS (who WOULD HAVE and SHOULD be a convicted felon), Odinga, Wright, Pfleger, and Farakkkhan.

For such a young guy he sure knows a lot of people who don't have very nice things to say about America.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The McCain/Palin campaign has decided that the only way they can possibly win the election is to marginalize and demonize Senator Obama. Like he used predict, you will hear he has a "funny name" is "dangerous" and is "not like you!"

Marginalzing an opponent and pointing out ways they are "dangerous" and "not like you" are classic methods to incite and justify violence. The engendered hatred is a distraction to the real issues and in the heat of the moment can make you forget that you can't pay to fill your tank or may lose your house.

Yesterday I saw two new clips in which Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin were inciting their crowds by smearing Sen. Obama. Sen.McCain acted like a cheerleader with a call and answer chant to the audiance.....when he callled...."Who Is Obama?" one of his goons called "A Terrorist". McCain heard it and stopped for a moment.....then smiled and went on with his irresponsible rant. He didnt stop and chastize or correct it....he built on it! At a different rally Gov. Palin was engaging in the dehumanizing smear practice of painting Sen Obama as a domestic terrorist, until she illicited the cry from the crowd...."KILL HIM"..... this didnt phase her.... sowing the Grapes of Wrath was what she was about.

I am concerned that the "town hall forum" for tonights debate is unwise and dangerous. Assassination is too much a part of American politics and both Palin and McCain are playing on that type of passion. Lynch mob psychology is being used as a campaign stratagy. Tonight the principals should answer questions from a secure remote location...John McCain has made his favorite format unwise. He is too erratic and too desperate.
I was horrified that Palin allowed the crowd to yell, "Kill him." She should have responded negatively. She did not. Truthfully, I don't think it was the whole crowd. I will have to re-read the article. BUT IT DOESN"T MATTER. This kind of hate is anti-American and more like Nazi Germany. I can't believe anyone in the country I love would allow it to happen, condone it, and encourage it.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
McCain and Palin are being irresponsible if they're not stopping cold and correcting someone who is calling out, "Kill him" and "terrorist" at their political rallies. All it takes is one nut who thinks McCain or Palin approve of the idea to launch an assassination plan. Just like vitriolic anti-abortion rhetoric influences would-be clinic bombers, their failure to say "No one should be talking about killing anyone here" is going to make some wacko out there think they're getting the go-ahead.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:07 PM

Also, Kennedy was assassinated much earlier in his campaign. If someone attacked either of the candidates now, just weeks before the election, it would leave the nation reeling.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Good post. Rep coming.
There is no "truth" about the candidate. It's called "smear."

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The McCain/Palin campaign has decided that the only way they can possibly win the election is to marginalize and demonize Senator Obama. Like he used predict, you will hear he has a "funny name" is "dangerous" and is "not like you!"

Marginalzing an opponent and pointing out ways they are "dangerous" and "not like you" are classic methods to incite and justify violence. The engendered hatred is a distraction to the real issues and in the heat of the moment can make you forget that you can't pay to fill your tank or may lose your house.

Yesterday I saw two new clips in which Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin were inciting their crowds by smearing Sen. Obama. Sen.McCain acted like a cheerleader with a call and answer chant to the audiance.....when he callled...."Who Is Obama?" one of his goons called "A Terrorist". McCain heard it and stopped for a moment.....then smiled and went on with his irresponsible rant. He didnt stop and chastize or correct it....he built on it! At a different rally Gov. Palin was engaging in the dehumanizing smear practice of painting Sen Obama as a domestic terrorist, until she illicited the cry from the crowd...."KILL HIM"..... this didnt phase her.... sowing the Grapes of Wrath was what she was about.

I am concerned that the "town hall forum" for tonights debate is unwise and dangerous. Assassination is too much a part of American politics and both Palin and McCain are playing on that type of passion. Lynch mob psychology is being used as a campaign stratagy. Tonight the principals should answer questions from a secure remote location...John McCain has made his favorite format unwise. He is too erratic and too desperate.
Did you smoke you're breakfast?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,534,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lol, stick around, Obama is a LOT younger than McCain, and has managed to make friends with:

Rezko, Auchi, AYERS (who WOULD HAVE and SHOULD be a convicted felon), Odinga, Wright, Pfleger, and Farakkkhan.

For such a young guy he sure knows a lot of people who don't have very nice things to say about America.
Pathetic post. Dancing around the fact that Obama does not have 4 friends who are CONVICTED felons.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Also, Kennedy was assassinated much earlier in his campaign. If someone attacked either of the candidates now, just weeks before the election, it would leave the nation reeling.
You know, this post just doesn't adequately express my feelings. And I don't know strong enough words to be able to tell you what it was like. For people on both sides. I don't wish that sort of national anguish on our nation right now, we have enough to deal with already.

If it's true that Palin had a crowd with people chanting "kill him" it would absolutely be irresponsible to let that pass. It's one thing to whip a crowd up into a frenzy, but that crosses a line. But I can't believe that would be true. I'm sure there were security forces there who dealt with the chanters. Because, yes--that's the sort of thing that can get out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections