Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Actually, I'm not trying to manipulate thought. You're just wrong. There have been many attempts to place blame on poverty but again, poverty is just a symptom and treating symptoms is useless. The world isn't nearly as simple as some would like to believe and there is no magic pill.

I never suggested that the poor and uneducated were not used as pawns, in fact I clearly alluded to that so I'm not sure why you're arguing that point unless you're just having another hissy-fit. The point I'm making is that the poor don't just decide to be terrorists, they are in fact used as cheap and expendable soldiers but poverty isn't the root of that problem. The world isn't a comic book and problems aren't that simple. We can't end world poverty because we have finite resources and there's simply not enough for everyone. Do you really want to end world poverty? I'd suggest you figure out how to sustain a fusion reaction. That would be unlimited virtually cost free energy and the whole world could quit their day jobs. It would be great for awhile.

We all want that cool idealistic world where there's enough for everyone and everyone lives in peace but there are only two ways to do that, Increase the amount of stuff (impossible at this time) or drastically reduce the number of people (that's a pretty high price to pay for an end to poverty). However, even if we had unlimited stuff for everyone, it still wouldn't end war and terrorism and greed because greed is part of our survival instinct and it's hard wired in to every animal on the planet, including humans. We all want more and are willing to hurt others to ensure our survival. The sad reality is that the problems of the world are unsolvable.
Have you heard back from the global leaders and Bush about your position as I linked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Are these sources supposed to add credibility to your argument?
Note the topic of the thread and The Global Poverty act which is supported by world leaders and Bush not the Heritage Foundation. My position is that the Global Poverty act is supported by world leaders including Bush who I linked wanted to increase funding to 5 billion whether through the act or other provisions. I am not going to argue with you on the merits of the decision making by Bush and other Global Leaders. You subscribe to the Heritage Foundation position and they don't. If your reject Bush on this topic then that aligns you with the many who reject Bush on many things. Now per the OP, there is considerable support by world leaders for the Global Poverty act and the linking of poverty to terrorism as supported by provided links.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Default For those who have forgotten the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
this bill proposed by obama would cost taxpayers as much as the proposed cost of the bailout! (although we know that the bailout will cost substantially more when implemented since they have already run out of their initial money!) do we really need to spend 845 billion (or more) to fight global poverty now when our own country is in so much trouble??
what about taking care of americans first!
The thread is about the Global Poverty act which is not a brainstorm of Obama. As linked it has international leadership support including Bush. As linked many world leaders believe it is a step to fighting terrorism. Not all agree as indicated by posters but you the reader need to absorb the provided links and decide for yourself.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,866,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I hadn't heard of this before (there are many things I haven't heard of), and lacking a description in this thread, I googled "Global Poverty Act."

According to Wikipedia:

Wikipedia (not my favorite online resource) fortunately provides a link to the actual bill in THOMAS, a legislative database maintained by the Library of Congress.

There are 84 co-sponsors in the House. After it was introduced in the House, on Dec. 7, 2007 Obama introduced the same bill in the Senate (S. 2433). It has 30 co-sponsors, and also does not allocate any funding.

Just so people know what they're talking about.

Oh, come on now! How can they distort this and demonize Obama when you clarify things like this...party pooper!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 AM

World Must Stand Against Terrorism, Bush Says
Washington — The international community must redouble efforts against terrorism by supporting emerging democracies, alleviating poverty and continuing progress toward the United Nations Charter’s global vision of peace and security, says President Bush.

Bush pledged continued U.S. commitment to international efforts confronting poverty and hunger, treating disease and promoting education — initiatives that honor the U.N.’s highest humanitarian ideals while enhancing stability. “Extremists find their most fertile recruiting grounds in societies trapped in chaos and despair, places where people see no prospect of a better life,” he said.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Sounds like something from a comic book.
Please feel free to elaborate. I'm way over 14 so Yoda-esque blurts without any substance are not going to make me bow in awe to your sage wisdom. I want facts and examples.

Arab and or Muslim terrorism has absolutely nothing to do with poverty. Last time I checked, the Bin Ladens were oil billionaires. It's not even religious though religious fervor has always been a rally useful weapon. It's all political and business. The Arabs don't like the Jews and since we support Israel, they don't like us. Israel was forced upon the Arab world mostly by the Brits but solidly reinforced by the US. We needed a military base and/or a nation of friendlies close to all that nifty oil.

This is one of the main flaws in the average liberal's logic. They tend to sum up all the worlds problems and attribute all the heartaches to poverty. They tend to take an incredibly myopic view of the world and sum it all up with comic book logic. When anyone disagrees, they throw insults much the same as some 6-year-olds. Well, I've got some real sad news for you, poverty is a symptom, not a disease.
Powell sees eradicating poverty as real fight against terrorism | Japan Policy & Politics | Find Articles at BNET
Outgoing U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell wrote in a magazine article that helping nations eradicate poverty should be the ''core'' national security policy to fight terrorism.

''Development is not a 'soft' policy issue, but a core national security issue,'' Powell said in his contribution to the latest issue of Foreign Policy. ''The United States cannot win the war on terrorism unless we confront the social and political roots of poverty.''

Does this mean Colin Powell the liberal is about to come out for Obama?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:57 AM

118 posts, read 146,602 times
AMERICA FIRST! Why do we always have to suck hind udder?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
The idea behind the bill is build countries so they can become new customers. The bill most likely would allocate funding to countries where we could work a "deal" for something they have and we need.

The big problem with it is.....

Well just look for yourself at the oil for food program.

Another one of those looks good on paper deals...

Old 10-18-2008, 11:07 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
World Must Stand Against Terrorism, Bush Says
Washington — The international community must redouble efforts against terrorism by supporting emerging democracies, alleviating poverty and continuing progress toward the United Nations Charter’s global vision of peace and security, says President Bush.

Bush pledged continued U.S. commitment to international efforts confronting poverty and hunger, treating disease and promoting education — initiatives that honor the U.N.’s highest humanitarian ideals while enhancing stability. “Extremists find their most fertile recruiting grounds in societies trapped in chaos and despair, places where people see no prospect of a better life,” he said.
You do also know this was the premise behind spreading freedom and the Iraq war don't ya? Does he get credit for the war right along with fighting global poverty? This Bush guy is looking better and better....

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Have you heard back from the global leaders and Bush about your position as I linked?
Since the OP asked our opinion on the matter, I'm not seeing any relevance to the opinion of the global leaders unless they happen to be participating on this forum. Many of us aren't at all impressed with the opinions of the global leaders and that seems to be the point you're missing. Considering the current state of affairs I tend to believe the folks who are less than impressed with the performance of global leaders might be correct in their assessment that said global leaders are in fact idiots. There seems to be a lot more to data to support that theory than to contradict it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections