Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:23 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wrong again. Note the census terming and then note the use of most civil learned people.
Your post was that Mulatto was the correct use of and I begged to differ and you agree that other terms are appropriate and like your friends they can select the phrasing they want. So we agree and I know I disagree with the OP and it would appear you do also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:25 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,873 times
luzianne, I don't think you would be very well perceived if you called a person of mixed heritage "mulatto." In fact, you will most likely be thought of as undereducated or racist. It is an antiquated term that may still be on the books but has been replaced in everyday conversation with "biracial" in the same way that "colored" has been replaced with black or African American.

I"m just trying to help you out, since I know you wouldn't want to be offensive to anyone.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I posted something a while back saying Obama was mulatto and it was deleted. That IS the correct term for a mixed race person. It was not derogatory in any way, but still it was deleted. I didn't really think it was right that it was deleted, but I didn't protest...
My only disagreement with you is when you say this is the correct word. That is an honest disagreement that is not serious since we both agree that the individual has the right to self select.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Of course it does; it's a dictionary, and as such, lists words that are currently going out of usage in order to give a complete understanding of possible words used. Again, it also lists "ain't". The assertion was/is that "mulatto" sounds uneducated. The fact that the word is listed in a dictionary does not suddenly make it only a word an educated person would use. Does "ain't" sound educated because it's listed in the dictionary?
Okay, I'm done with this. All I am saying is mulatto is a legitimate word. And apparently it is NOT considered derogatory by everyone. I'm just sayin'...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
luzianne, I don't think you would be very well perceived if you called a person of mixed heritage "mulatto." In fact, you will most likely be thought of as undereducated or racist. It is an antiquated term that may still be on the books but has been replaced in everyday conversation with "biracial" in the same way that "colored" has been replaced with black or African American.

I"m just trying to help you out, since I know you wouldn't want to be offensive to anyone.
I don't think so. Go to mulatto.org and to the youtube video that I posted a link to - Mulatto and Proud. I think seeing it as educated or racist is more about how you perceive it than how people who are actually biracial perceive it.

One thing I am not is uneducated.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My only disagreement with you is when you say this is the correct word. That is an honest disagreement that is not serious since we both agree that the individual has the right to self select.
I'm not saying it's the "correct' word or the only word, just that it is one word that is used to describe a mixed race person. But yes, I agree that a person has a right to decide what they wish to be called.

EDIT - Okay, I see I did say in a post that it was the correct word. What I meant is it is a A word that can be used, but not the only one, and that I don't necessarily consider it derogatory although I agree if it is said in a way that is intended to offend or be derogatory then yes, that would be derogatory.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
I love to see you point out the us of mestizo in any official US document.

Mestizo, mulatto, creole, octoroon.... oh, what's the point explaining all this.
Since when does an official US document make dictionary definitions? Mestizo is Anglo-Indian. Plain and simple. Heck, my Latin-American history teacher at the University of Michigan even used the term "mestizo".

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Mulatto?? Who is this moron ...

George Jefferson? Archie Bunker?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM

49 posts, read 179,547 times
The etymology of the word 'mulatto' is a mixed breed of a mule. Therefore, we should not belittle our physical appearance and refer to ourselves or others as 'mulatto'. It is indeed offensive.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,779,986 times
What I love most about this post is how the McCaniacs are DEFENDING the crazy raving lunatic OP.

No, wait, I think I love the raving lunatic OP the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections