Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Can America give up its claims to you? You aren't really someone who epitomizes the all-American values of fairness and tolerance............
There you go assuming again. You shouldn't make a statement that you can't substantiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,835,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto E View Post
CHARLOTTE .....I have to express my self.........before the elections.......! While we still have " FREEDOM OF SPEECH " BLACK & WHITE = MULATTO , SOOOOO we are not voting for the first AFRICAN-AMERICAN Person . We are voting for the first MULATTO ever to hold such high ranks !( it's the equal of having a Latino or of Oriental decent runing ). America , WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !!!!!! CHANGE it's not always the right decision,some times it's better a not so good known to a ? superb ? unknown. That is what I feel . Don't be fool by sentiments because because you may be defrauded at the end.....Look at how many polititians have promised CHANGE ei. CHAVEZ , CASTRO , etc to name a few and their country have gotten what they asked for ..... CHANGE !!!!!!! So please consider your emotions ,just because a candidate is Black does not garantee that he will go over his means to help the Blacks or the MULATTOS it's the same as if the candidate was a woman, oriental or of spanish decent . at the end their hands are tied , BUT they can promise the world even if it take lies to get to power. I honestly pray to God for this elections results, it's not easy for anyone to,take over. I always say that you get what you deserve (including myself ) but I HOPE AMERICA does better than that because America deserves the best and if CHANGE makes it for the WORSE ,then the mystery of of GOD's wrath will be lived and hopefully in four years we can breath better. at the end Have no fear as our LORD tells Us. GOD bless all and especially AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
this isnt latin america! mullato isnt used here, keep your latino politics out ours.
no one uses that dumb word mullato here, i kinda find it funny that when americans discuss racial politics within latin america latinos always say it isnt about race or they dont care about race, so why now?

blk/white people, black people are the same here in america unless your hispanic

Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I posted something a while back saying Obama was mulatto and it was deleted. That IS the correct term for a mixed race person. It was not derogatory in any way, but still it was deleted. I didn't really think it was right that it was deleted, but I didn't protest...
duh!!! everyone who is bi racial isnt the same, bi racial is too vague, its interesting that some white peopele want to make exact clarifications of race of an individual..

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv
Obama is indeed a mulatto just as my wife who is Mexican-American is a mestizo.
so why dont mexicans say they are meztizos instead of saying their race is latino?

Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,799,621 times
Actually while many Mexicans are mestizo, others are indian, others are white, a few are black. The Latino is more of a cultural ethinic reference to the influence of Spain.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,575,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
You need to aim the question at all of the voters that have admitted that the only reason they are voting for Obama is because he is black. They are not concerned with how white McCain is because they are voting for him anyway.
In all fairness, aren't there equally those who will NOT vote for Obama because he is black? My point being; why should race be a factor on either side?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:46 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,048,794 times
Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In all fairness, aren't there equally those who will NOT vote for Obama because he is black? My point being; why should race be a factor on either side?
Qualifications, here, people, qualifications. I don't care if the guy is a green martian, if he can bring stability to our country and make it work...so be it!!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:52 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,932,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why is Obama’s race/ethnicity even an issue?
Write him a letter and ask him. He brought it up before anyone else did.

Quote:
Are we electing our next president on the basis of his DNA, or his qualifications to lead this nation?
Ask the ACORN people that question. Or ask the people in Harlem who were interviewed and said on the record that they love Obama, but could not name his running mate or even one thing he has said in his campaign. By the way, don't waste your time turning that one around on me. I'm in Harlem three or four times a week. It's one of my favorite places in my city. But the people I have referenced are the people who are making it about race.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,057,894 times
Mexicans the next time you look at an African American you must know that they are mixed too

Old 10-18-2008, 04:25 PM

184 posts, read 552,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wrong again. Note the census terming and then note the use of most civil learned people.
Funny how you see yourself as a civil learned person. I am a 9 year Foreign Service officer for the U.S. State Department and have been on multiple missions to U.S. embassies in Europe and South America.

Mulatto is a widely used term in mixed race countries. Just because it is not listed in the US census does not make it invalid. Until the 2000 Census Bi-Racial was not even an option. Until the mid 20th Century bi-racial marriages were illegal in many places.

So I wouldn't use our views on race as the industry standard. If anything we are steadily catching up to the rest of the world when it comes to views on race and culture. Case and point: Hispanic. That word denotes people who speak Spanish, it is not a race. Spanish speakers can be White, Black, Amerindian, Asian, and every combination of those. Yet here in the U.S. most people still consider Hispanic a race. Or worse, just call them "Mexican".

I suggest you enlighten yourself a bit more before attempting to take the high road on a message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections